Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at both and can get the map-ecu for extremely cheap from a friend but can also get a maf-t for 175 for full setup..whats the pros/cons to both also which am i better off with? any input is helpful as usual guys thanks!

·
AEM SP63
1,464 Posts
How about none, piggy backing an 80's computer is never a good idea, unless your are planning on sticking with upgraded CT26

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
If you are going all out, then just bite the bullet and do a standalone. However, with respect to the previous poster, I ran a MAFT setup with 550's on my last car and was just shy of 500HP with a full T4 setup. I was also making 26MPG on the highway. No experience with MAP ECU however.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Ive used both.

Maft is faster to tune because you have the knobs to add/subtract fuel mixture on the unit itself, but minimal tunning points. allows you to remove afm and replace it with a ls1 mass air sensor and you could run it in blow through mode ( route it in your piping so the turbo looks nice by itself.

Map-ecu has more tunning capability, you have alot more tuning points, it hooks up to your laptop and you can get your readings and logs, you can also eliminate afm with it and go with an after market mass air. It takes a little gettin use to as any kind of tunning you do must be connected to a laptop in the car. Real time tuning and can hook up a wideband to it instead of it reading from stock o2 sensor so it will be way more accurate.

My decision would be map ecu. The power you make is more reliable than the old maft. and control more.

They both require the same amount of time to install (20-30 Min) for the average person. Only 5-7 wires each.

good luck.

-Saif

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the opions/help I appreciate it and im most likely going with the map-ecu and im going t4 with a t67 or t70 shooting for 480ish rwhp we'll see how it goes

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
What size exhaust a/r are you going if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
If you want solid 450+ with quicker response/spool dont go any bigger than .74

.81 er .84 you wont hit full boost until 4800+ rpm, and since your going with a piggy back system you wont be able to rev past 7000 rpm so that only gives you just over 2000 rpm pull.

Just a suggestion as i went through the same thing thats all.

-saif

·
Registered
998 Posts
Id go with a .58 :) very streetable

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm thanks for the opinion..I was looking at .68 but someone was telling me the high end wouldn't be to good that an .81 was nice no I have a lot of rethinking to do! Lol thanks again guys!

·
AEM SP63
1,464 Posts
If you are going all out, then just bite the bullet and do a standalone. However, with respect to the previous poster, I ran a MAFT setup with 550's on my last car and was just shy of 500HP with a full T4 setup. I was also making 26MPG on the highway. No experience with MAP ECU however.
I understand, I made 565RWHP on VPC/AFC. Were my AF's high? Hell fucking yes. Could I flat my AF's? Hell fucking no.

Anything over that 500rwhp hump and it gets riskier on piggy back

1 - 12 of 12 Posts