Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MkIV Pilot
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah... the list just keeps getting bigger and bigger for the things that im putting on my car.

The latest thing is deciding on whether or not im going to use the stock MAF, Lexus v-8 MAF, MAP ecu, VPC, or just get an AEM engine mgmt...

I havent really started looking for a lexus maf and cant find a decent VPC anywhere. The only other options are to stick with my stock maf, MAP ecu, or just get AEM.

Also, my car stalls out when i let off the gas passed 4000rpm or when im sitting at a stoplight sometimes. ITS REALLY ANNOYING!!!! I'm trying to fix that, as well as get better performance out of my car...

Map ecu = 700 dollars
AEM = 2000 dollars
stock MAF = Free!!! i have two of them...

I will be running 18psi daily and the most boost my car will see will be 23-25 MAX. so i dont know if i really NEED the AEM.... but its always an option. Just wanted to get some ideas.....

Thanks!!!!

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
can you give us a rundown of your basic fuel management setup right now?

stock maf? venting to intake? venting to atmosphere? going past 4krpms hard on the throttle causes stalling? going past 4k at lighter throttle stalls it? Do you have an SAFC? AFR?

I'm curious, because my setup will be controlled with an SAFC/ V8 maf combination and I'm trying to have the car NOT stall at all.

just so you knwo there are alot of MAF's out there, you just have to get lucky. I found one for 130$ about an hour away from me, went out and picked it up in person. Soemtimes people say the electronics dont work on them(theyre went bad), but its the same electronics as on the stock supra maf. The difference in in the size of the housing, which causes the air to flow through slower, making the electronics read differently. so even if u find one and its electronics dont owrk, you shoudl be able to use the v8 maf body and the stock maf electronics...

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
also, try raising your idle a few hundred rpms, it might help a bit.

·
MkIV Pilot
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BlackSupra93 said:
can you give us a rundown of your basic fuel management setup right now?

stock maf? venting to intake? venting to atmosphere? going past 4krpms hard on the throttle causes stalling? going past 4k at lighter throttle stalls it? Do you have an SAFC? AFR?

I'm curious, because my setup will be controlled with an SAFC/ V8 maf combination and I'm trying to have the car NOT stall at all.

QUOTE]

Right now my fuel setup is as follows:

-stock injectors
-apexi SAFC II
-stock MAF
-walboro 255

my car is in the process of being upgraded and the fuel setup will be as follows

-Complete fuel lines
-aeromotive A-6 FPR and Pressure Gauge
-580cc injectors
-walboro 255
-custom fuel rail
-MAF ?????

I just got done talking with my brother and he said i should go to a standalone eventually, so i might as well do AEM right now... i dont know how flexible my tuning is giong to be, or if i can run race gas.... i have a 3mm head gasket, but i dont know what the compression is going to be... so i dont know what the max boost ill be able to run...

As for the car stalling out.... i can go WOT all the way up to redline, but when i let off the gas completely the car will die off.... i always have to have some throttle if i let off the gas above 4000rpm. my BOV is NOT recirculated... that me be part of the problem, but i dont think that will matter if i decide to go AEM anyway..

·
MkIV Pilot
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlackSupra93 said:
also, try raising your idle a few hundred rpms, it might help a bit.

i have tried that, and we have also adjusted the idle rpm settings on the SAFC...
nothing works. i have a feeling that if i got a lexus MAF and/or recirculated my bov... that might fix the problem.

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
sounds like a atmosphere-vent blow off valve problem to me

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
Bean said:
sounds like a atmosphere-vent blow off valve problem to me
yea me too, but i've also hear that rerouting it hardly does anything. would the fact he's running stock injectors with a 255lph pump put in more fuel at idle?

is your base fuel map still good or is it rich? if you can lean our your base map it wouldnt go as rich when you let off. Do you have wideband? It'd help alot if you dont.

·
MkIV Pilot
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BlackSupra93 said:
yea me too, but i've also hear that rerouting it hardly does anything. would the fact he's running stock injectors with a 255lph pump put in more fuel at idle?

is your base fuel map still good or is it rich? if you can lean our your base map it wouldnt go as rich when you let off. Do you have wideband? It'd help alot if you dont.

we have tried everything from leaning out ot to richening it up at idle.... my a/f ratio during normal and WOT driving conditions is 11.4 to 1.

also, the car did it BEFORE i put in the 255lph pump....

Im really leaning towards the AEM right now.....

·
Is it turbo??
760 Posts
Boost leak test!!! check all your couplers for any leaks!! i have had that same problem. I would run really rich (10:1) and couldnt lean it out any more. under boost i thought my plugs were fouled but it was just a boost leak..

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have had a map ecu, vpc/afc, and am now going with an aem, which will hopefully be the answer to my problems. Im a '96 though, so its a whole different ballgame. Anyhow, if you are looking for a vpc and/or safc, let me know. Once the map sensor arrives ill be pulling out the vpc/afc and installing the aem, which will hopefully be sometime this upcoming week.

·
MkIV Pilot
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay well ive finally decided on going with AEM.... that seems to be the final solution to everyone's problems that ive talked to.... i might as well learn from their experiences.... and do it right the first time...

·
Registered
288 Posts
mogallo said:
okay well ive finally decided on going with AEM.... that seems to be the final solution to everyone's problems that ive talked to.... i might as well learn from their experiences.... and do it right the first time...

I wish I did the same. Good choice

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
dont do the MAP ecu I havent heard much good about them.. heard they are hard to tune, and not consistant... I'd go AEM.

·
00 SC300
45 Posts
go aem it may cost a bit but it will be worth the money spent. i have seen after a certain amount of power the safc will not be capable of the fuel needed.

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
BlackSupra93 said:

running rich isnt going to make your car die out if its within a smaller range, say within the tuning capabilities of a safc v1...

if its rerouted correctly it will work... also, rerouting a BOV normally closed, like a HKS SSQV or a TurboXS Type-H, etc... it wont help, because the BOV doesnt need to be routed

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
Bean said:
running rich isnt going to make your car die out if its within a smaller range, say within the tuning capabilities of a safc v1...

if its rerouted correctly it will work... also, rerouting a BOV normally closed, like a HKS SSQV or a TurboXS Type-H, etc... it wont help, because the BOV doesnt need to be routed
why wont it help? I was under the impression that the amount of pressurized air that is let out during blow off is the cause of the running rich condition that causes the stall. The SSQ does let air out during a blow off, which means the car will run richer than if no air had been let out...so i dont see how rerouting it back to the intake doesnt help at all...

please explain this further,
thanks,
Bob

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
BlackSupra93 said:
why wont it help? I was under the impression that the amount of pressurized air that is let out during blow off is the cause of the running rich condition that causes the stall. The SSQ does let air out during a blow off, which means the car will run richer than if no air had been let out...so i dont see how rerouting it back to the intake doesnt help at all...

please explain this further,
thanks,
Bob
It won't help if your car is having problems at idle b/c they don't leak at idle like normal valves, however your problem is due to the bov being vented open. After wot or partial throttle accel. seems to be the time you're having the problem, common symptoms of open atmosphere bov on a maf car.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
go AEM and convert to speed den. and get rid of the maf and then dont worry about recir. the bov. tried and true

1 - 20 of 20 Posts