Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sprung a massive oil leak from the front of my engine. It looks like it's coming from the Front Main Seal area, but I can't tell if it's initiating from there or dripping down from the pressure relief valve of the oil pump and then getting flung up by the timing star. Please take a look at this short video and see if you can tell.

I have 2500 miles on this rebuilt engine. The oil pump is a PHR-modified one, further tweaked and installed by Don at Accelerated Performance.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
your link says video is private

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Link...for some reason SF doesnt let me see embedded videos....works on every other forum though

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Game Over
1,248 Posts
That looks like it's coming from the FMS area... Make sure to replace the T-belt if it's saturated with oil too.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can the timing belt not be washed with Dawn? It's a brand new Gates Racing timing belt.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the FMS. I didn't think it was possible, but my local Toyota dealer had one in stock. Actually, the only reason they had one in stock is because I returned one that I bought from them a few months ago before I realized that a new FMS came with the engine rebuild gasket kit.

Replaced the FMS and everything's dry again. Makes me think though...why did that one fail after only 2500 miles?

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
It was the FMS. I didn't think it was possible, but my local Toyota dealer had one in stock. Actually, the only reason they had one in stock is because I returned one that I bought from them a few months ago before I realized that a new FMS came with the engine rebuild gasket kit.

Replaced the FMS and everything's dry again. Makes me think though...why did that one fail after only 2500 miles?
Crank walk, improper crankcase breather system.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crank walk
I'm on the stock clutch and pressure plate. It is my understanding that Crank Walk only occurs with more massive pressure plates. Is this true?

improper crankcase breather system.
I'm using the stock PCV system, unaltered. And a brand new PCV valve (2500 miles on it).

The FMS was not pushed out at all. It sat about 1mm inside of flush with the surrounding part of the oil pump, just as far as the new one went in. And it did not appear visually to be compromised (from the outside). I did notice that the spring in the old FMS did not come out with the FMS, but it could have been dislodged by the tool I used to remove the FMS.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I'm on the stock clutch and pressure plate. It is my understanding that Crank Walk only occurs with more massive pressure plates. Is this true?

I'm using the stock PCV system, unaltered. And a brand new PCV valve (2500 miles on it).

The FMS was not pushed out at all. It sat about 1mm inside of flush with the surrounding part of the oil pump, just as far as the new one went in. And it did not appear visually to be compromised (from the outside). I did notice that the spring in the old FMS did not come out with the FMS, but it could have been dislodged by the tool I used to remove the FMS.
Arent you on upgraded twins?

·
Administrator
8,798 Posts
Link...for some reason SF doesnt let me see embedded videos....works on every other forum though
Viewing on android?

Glad to see its resolved.

·
Administrator
8,798 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Arent you on upgraded twins?
Yes...BNR upgraded twins. EBC set to limit boost to 16psi, and verified that 16.1 psi was my peak. Why do you ask?

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Yes...BNR upgraded twins. EBC set to limit boost to 16psi, and verified that 16.1 psi was my peak. Why do you ask?
They may be too much for the stock pcv system, thus causing increased crankcase pressure. I highly doubt its crank walk but you can rule it out easily by checking the snout in/out movement.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Don't rule out improper install on main seals. It's easy to do wrong. What did the old seal look like? Torn/shredded? If so, where and how? Could also be debris. Less likely but still possible, heat from improperly sized main bearings. It's happened to me on 3 occasions with fresh rebuilds. Some machine shops aren't thorough when sizing bearings. (I don't use those shops anymore) Last but not least, faulty FMS.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They may be too much for the stock pcv system, thus causing increased crankcase pressure.
Would that manifest itself by physically pushing the FMS out some? Mine was not displaced.

The only other weird thing was that I had just finished a 25-minute track session where one of the vacuum hoses blew off the rear sequential VSV, which disabled the 2nd turbo. At WOT, boost maxed out at 14 psi which is where my #1 maxes out due to Stu's 1/2-inch spacer mod.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Would that manifest itself by physically pushing the FMS out some? Mine was not displaced.

The only other weird thing was that I had just finished a 25-minute track session where one of the vacuum hoses blew off the rear sequential VSV, which disabled the 2nd turbo. At WOT, boost maxed out at 14 psi which is where my #1 maxes out due to Stu's 1/2-inch spacer mod.
Generally when I have experienced seal blowout (mind you this has only ever happened to me on transmissions) the seal will either go back to normal after the blowout or be visually damaged. Others may have seen more of this than I have though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts