Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my buddy had made this a while ago and used my car to mock them up. I dunno if any of you guys would actually buy one of these, but it seems to help with pedal feel a good bit. We measured the before and after difference and it was pretty signifigant. I cant quote exact figures (measured a while ago dont remember), but if you look at your master cylinder and how much it actually moves when you step on the pedal you would be surprised.

Now I did feel the difference when we installed it and it is much firmer, but initial pedal feel is still a bit soft on my car. I think thats due to my old worn pads, and my extremly old stock lines. Once I get those installed with new ones ill check to see if I notice a good difference then.

excuse the dirty bay its been sitting for a while...

I just thought i'd post this up as I could see some people maybe wanting one and its always nice to see new things produced. Ill take if off soon so you guys can really see what it looks like, but mine is just mounted under the strut bar.

Once he gets them back we will check it out again and get some numbers maybe a short vid to show the diff.

Alex

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Maybe that's why my brakes have never felt as good as I wish they did. Never thought that there could be flex with the master cylinder.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Good idea, but wont that pointy bolt eventually wear a hole in the front of the master cylinder? Wouldnt a large flat surface be better against that spot?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah it flexes pretty well. It may not seem like a lot looking at it to some people, but there is a noticeable diff when you actually step on the pedal.

Alex

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
That's interesting...nice solution

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
chupacabra said:
Good idea, but wont that pointy bolt eventually wear a hole in the front of the master cylinder? Wouldnt a large flat surface be better against that spot?
Kind of what I was thinking.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
it isnt a sharp point. its pretty blunt. And he made it that way as there is that indention at the front of the master cylinder itself that it slots in perfectly. I suppose i could try something flat but I really dont see this damaging anything at all. It is on there pretty tight and there is NO movement anymore. So I just dont see where the wear would come from.

Ill check with him on this point you guys posed. He has been doing this for MR2's and I dont know if they are using this same type of bolt. If they are he has had them out far longer, and if a failure were to occur im sure it would have presented itself already.

Alex

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Well, since it's mounted to the same relative place that the brace is mounted it should all vibrate and what not at the same rate but there's a chance that since it's on the suspension tower there might be some added tweaking that could result in wear on the booster. Still looks like a good idea though.

Something else, will this be harder on the system kind of like cramming the brake pedal to the floor this could add extra strain to the system.

G

·
Looks like a GREAT idea to me. I remember reading recently that firewall flex is a well-known cause of less than ideal pedal feel and strength, and this solves the problem. I too would worry about the wear issue, seems like something better could be worked out.

One other point I wonder about is reverse effect - IE when the strut tower flexes, it causes the point to dig in to the cylinder and attempt to flex the firewall the other way. Makes me wonder if a brace that attached to points on the firewall around the master cylinder might be an answer too; haven't looked under the hood to see if this has any feasibility but it might.

Thx for sharing!

(BTW - looks like you left off a nut on the shock tower brace - or is that bolt as stripped as it looks in the pic?)

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nope the nut is off on there. I lost it somewhere had to order up some new ones.

Oh and the brace mounts at 2 points. So it will not push anywhere. It's not going to move from anything. I understand what you guys are concerned about, but I dont see how its possible. No matter how the strut bar would flex how would it force the point into the master? Even without the bottom mounting point we have i dont see it digging in at all.

When we tested it we left off this bottom mounting point. It would still flex upwards this way, but the flexing wasnt as severe. We then added the bottom and that movement went away for the most part.

ALex

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have seen this before,can't remember which of the JDM after market company has it,but i will look for it.

·
966 Posts
Cusco, among other Japanese companies, offers a "brake cylinder stopper" or the like.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Those carbing strut bars look sweet as hell!! Wonder if they will ship over to US??

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
that is a really nice strut tower brace. Good engineering solution.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
id go with the rear bar as it's just like the do-luck bar and also bolts in the center. But at 300 bucks hot damn!!! I hope that im wrong and that conversion...

I suppose I could go and try finding some nylon bushings or something and modding them to fit onto the end of my screw thing. I don't think mine will damage anything as is, but ill let you guys know for sure. So far i have had it on for about 3 months I think, daily driven.

Alex

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
Cusco makes one for jdm supras

Looks nice, alx2785! How much for one of those?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts