Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find any previous info on this, but thought I'd read about it somewhere. Last Sunday at the local track, which is nasty on brakes, I started seeing brake fluid drips around the master cylinder area. I've never seen this before. My brake temps were pretty high, I'm sure. I have an IR pyrometer which pegs at 900F and the front rotors were hotter than that. The brakes were great other than a slightly lower pedal when hot, which was due to stock brake lines, I think. I'm using Motul fluid and didn't have any boiling or other problems. Master cylinder fluid level went down about 3/32 inch over the course of the day. On another note, what are you guys using for power steering fluid? Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
145 Posts
jkbrauch said:
I couldn't find any previous info on this, but thought I'd read about it somewhere. Last Sunday at the local track, which is nasty on brakes, I started seeing brake fluid drips around the master cylinder area. I've never seen this before. My brake temps were pretty high, I'm sure. I have an IR pyrometer which pegs at 900F and the front rotors were hotter than that. The brakes were great other than a slightly lower pedal when hot, which was due to stock brake lines, I think. I'm using Motul fluid and didn't have any boiling or other problems. Master cylinder fluid level went down about 3/32 inch over the course of the day. On another note, what are you guys using for power steering fluid? Thanks, Jeff
Never seen leaks before... I have boiled fluid though... Hmm, wonder if you need to replace the master cylinder?

Wow. You must've toasted the brakes... I think last time I borrowed a pyrometer I had temps of about 1000 or so. I use motul for power steering fluid.

-Darryl
-Darryl

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Darryl. My brakes seem fine - no rotor warpage or other apparent problems from the track day. This particular track is notoriously hard on brakes with 3 hard braking corners on a 1.7 mile track and no long straights for cooling. It's fun, though. I was using Hawk HP pads which are good autox pads, but not the best for track use, and they seem to be OK, too. They smoked after the first couple runs, but that was their first day on the track. Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts