Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
320hp
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around and found a number of threads conserning color changes to the dash. I just installed new Defi-Link guages, and the color is bright green, the factory toyota guages are a dim sh*tty green.

Of the threads i have read, most were changing color to white, or blue... i didnt see anyone change it to bright green like the Defi's... Also on the below thread it looks like the bulbs can be just plugged into the factory socket.

http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_ACS.asp?Page=/pages/products/LED/LED_Wedge_Lamps.htm

It looks like this guy might be able to do it, i see he changed the color of the needles... maybe i can get my needles to be bright red, like the Defi's

http://thegodz.20megsfree.com/lextechlighting.htm

Thanks
Bobby

·
Registered
678 Posts
I like to know if Lextech could get the needle bright red.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
SupraSaiyan said:
I like to know if Lextech could get the needle bright red.
Yeah, it's not hard. You can get a that effect by sanding the white/orange "refracting" layer of paint of the bottom of the needles, but then the light spills out of the bottom and onto the gauge. Then you replace the bulb with a nice Red LED, which has a better color index than an incandescent red.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Zylo said:
Yeah, it's not hard. You can get a that effect by sanding the white/orange "refracting" layer of paint of the bottom of the needles, but then the light spills out of the bottom and onto the gauge. Then you replace the bulb with a nice Red LED, which has a better color index than an incandescent red.
Did you do that to yours? If so, I love to see pics!

A

·
0 Posts
So if you just scrape the paint off the bottom of the needles can you then spray it any colour you want and instantly change the colour of your needles...?

Interesting... :)

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Aerotop Dave said:
So if you just scrape the paint off the bottom of the needles can you then spray it any colour you want and instantly change the colour of your needles...?

Interesting... :)
No, it depends on the gauge. Some needles are actually made of colored acrylic (ex orange) and have a "white" painted refractive layer on the bottom to make the needle brighter and reduce light spill.

Some are clear, and have a colored (ex orange) paint on the bottom to refract light and make the needle glow orange (or whatever color the paint is)

I have not done anything to mine, but plan on picking up a full set of needles from Ford and doing it on my truck.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
spoolnv8- do not do green. that is my plan!! :p

talking about led conversions, I have a freind who did it to his TL and it looks great. the one's i've seen done on supras have hot spots and so on. I'll post some pictures this week.

·
320hp
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PsyKotiC RydeR said:
spoolnv8- do not do green. that is my plan!! :p

talking about led conversions, I have a freind who did it to his TL and it looks great. the one's i've seen done on supras have hot spots and so on. I'll post some pictures this week.
alittle too late after i spent a good deal of money on the defi's... anyways post up some of the pics.. id love to see them!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I'm only playing, we have similar taste interior lights. I'm meeting up with my freind tonight and I'll take pictures.

BTW, that offer is still good right? Thanks.

SpoolnV8 said:
alittle too late after i spent a good deal of money on the defi's... anyways post up some of the pics.. id love to see them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts