Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do I need the Box to block the engine heat or is the Mega Flow filter OK by itself ? I have a 97TT with 450 HP.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
the air box help keep the temp ging into the motor cooler i suggest you get it !

as for the sound sound like a whisling sound almost some people think tats the turbo going bad when its not!
cb123 said:
Do I need the Box to block the engine heat or is the Mega Flow filter OK by itself ? I have a 97TT with 450 HP. Secondly, What type of noise should be hearing from the intake and when should I hear it? Thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone reccomend the box

Should I get the Box or is the HKS intake OK by itself?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with the box, air temperature is normally 20C or more difference than engine bat temp.
so get the box.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hi all, please educate me. As far as I know, it really keeps the tempature down ( compare to air in the engine). But, what about air flow? Would it be less air flow?

As you all know, there is a intake duct on top of the stock radiator. When cool air goes into the duct, it hits all corners in the tube and then the air box. It keeps the air flow going into the engine. If you change the stock air box into Max-air, would the air flow become slower?

For those who has a metal plate on top ( I think that is use to re-direct the cold air to aftermarket radiator. Please correct me if I am wrong), the stock air duct become useless. Where can the intake get the cool air? Do I need to get a hose to pass the cool air from the buttom of the bumper?

Please educate me. I always have these question on my mind.

·
3,148 Posts
The "MAX AIR" uses all the factory air ducts, plus the front is open giving the box more volume than stock plus more air coming in from the front of the car. This will be even more noticable if you have a FMIC. Unless you actually upgrade the radiator itself, you can still use the duct. If you have a FMIC, you are getting a substantial amount of air from the area the top of the intercooler used to fill and you no longer need the duct. I might be a problem if you have an upgraded radiator, no side duct, and the stock intercooler.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Steve Jarvis,
Thanks for your details. In other words, without FMIC, "Max-Air" is not that useful on stock IC and radiator, is it right? Or, there is only a minor gain.

As you said, with stock IC and upgraded radiator, there might be a problem. That means the stock IC block the air from the front and the upgraded radiator blocks the air from the factory air duct, right?

So, the stock IC actually blocks the air flow. So, "Max-Air" is not that great for stock IC with stock radiator. Is my logic right?

(well, maybe there is a minor gain since it has more air goes into the intake. But, in that case, the air flow is slower, isn't it?? :confused: since the the stock air box direct the air flow into the engine smoothly )

·
3,148 Posts
I think you misunderstood. The "MAX AIR" offers the most gain for a Surpa with the stock intercooler and radiator.

It will still offer a gain for a Surpa with an upgraded radiator, because they wouldn't be able to use the stock duct with or without the "MAX AIR".

Several people have installed "MAX AIR" intakes with an upgraded radiator and FMIC without any problem. I just think it is even more affective with the stock intercooler and radiator.

Later, Steve

Later, Steve

·
3,148 Posts
I would still recommed a "MAX AIR" over a conventional open filter intake. Any amount of heat you can reduce going to the stock twins when they are being pushed very hard is a good thing. I would probably upgrade to a single turbo before upgrading the radiator. As a matter of fact I did. :)

Later, Steve

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hm this is a pretty cool looking intake. By common sense alone it seems like a much better deal than all the other setups out there. In fact, it looks so cool that I just ordered one from MVP a few weeks ago :) Unfortunately I was told they're all out and more of them need to be fabricated or whatever, so I won't have it for a while... any idea when they'll be ready to go out? I don't know if this is something you deal with or if you designed it and let some fabricator deal with making them... Thought I'd ask though.

thanks,
R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts