Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 97 Supra TT 6 spd. Car has the stock twins, but does have a front mount IC, boost controller, downpipe, full exhaust. I bought the car and it had clutch problems and I'm to the point where we need to put the car back together.
Will the stock clutch work with this kind of HP? If not, what is the most economical clutch I can get. I need everything from the spline out. Whoever put in the previous clutch, did not do it right and damaged nearly everything.
Anyway-let me know, I need this car on the road asap! It's getting warm out here and I need to have some fun.

·
60 footing
966 Posts
421 rwhp 453rwtq slip slightly, keep in mind the clutch was new around 500k mils

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I think a BPU setup will eat up a stock clutch pretty easily. But there is no drop dead cutoff on how much the stock clutch will handle. If you baby it, it will hold up longer.

But if you need a new clutch anyway, best long term investment is to get a good clutch suitable for at least BPU power. If you can't spend more for a better, heavier duty clutch then RPS makes a couple in the $500 to $700 range, so does ACT and Southbend.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
How about 522 rwhp 485rwtq 20 lbs of boost on a stock clutch with 32k miles on it.I would go with southbend tz clutch.It feels just like stock and cost $580.If you intend to go single it will not hold,so if you are going single anytime soon or later spend the mony and get a good clutch now.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
^^ I second the SouthBend clutch. The kevlar one is very good and the OFE can handle up to 750ftlb and is very drivable with nearly stock peddle pressure. My OEM clutch was slipping at 75k, no BPU. Considering the time/$ involved in installing a clutch/FW, why not pay a little more and get a longer lasting, higher rated clutch?

BTW I want to be where jam98 is ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts