Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering at what oil temp should you start to be concerned, and what oil temp is the max before potential damage may start to occur.

My oil temps seem pretty low to me. I've been keeping an eye on them lately and they have been between 150-160 F pretty much all the time, with fairly aggressive highway or city driving. This was in both 35 and 80 F outside temps. The outside temp didn't seem to make much of a difference, maybe 5 F. The highest they've gone so far is 170 F after driving for about 6 hours. Pretty cool I think. Most other cars I've paid attention to (such as a 2002 vette) stay around 190-210 F. I guess that stock oil cooler works pretty good!

Anyway, what temp should I try to stay under ideally and what temp becomes critical? Thanks.

-Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
Paul,

I measure it right before the oil filter and see 210-220 F max. Your coolant temperature will play a large part in the oil temps, are you running a stock thermostat?

-Brian
1993.5 TT 6M BPU

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, by the way, I'm measuring the oil temp right before my oil feed line coming from the block. It was convenient to put it there, along with my oil pressure gauge. Is that a good place or is it better where you have it? Yes, I'm running a stock thermostat.

-Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts