Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a 97 twin turbo supra. The car is almost stock, the way i wanted it so i can do my own work. I have wanted a supra since i wanted to drive and finally got one.

Now i need to start my project. Not that it doesn't already have a lot of power but i would like to get more power out of it. I'm not looking at drag racing it right now or anything so i would like to keep it running on the twins right now. My question is: How much power could i get on the stock twin turbos and what would i need to do to achieve that power? I'm looking at around 600 crank horse power at least. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

· Registered
13,982 Posts
You will be going down the "BPU" road of mods with as many +'s as you feel like having. This gives you a basic rundown of what is considered "BPU" http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html

Keep in mind what octane is required to boost over about 17 psi. I would say that about 94 oct limits you to about 17psi (note octane units: our 94 PON is about equal to Euro 98 RON). At that power the stock twins are typically under 400rwhp which is about 475 crank hp on a 6 speed.

On higher suitable octane, the highest power output I recall seeing is from Stu Hagen's highly tweeked setup which was about 500rwhp...you can see the details on his website http://www.97supraturbo.com/ Then more recently "Mat" posted a dyno of his stock twin setup a little higher power than that, but direct comparison of his dyno with Stu's was questionable.

Even 500whp is only about 595 crank hp with a 6 speed. Auto trans has higher losses so more crank hp per wheel hp.

You won't see "600 crank horse power at least".

· Banned
2,465 Posts
You will be going down the "BPU" road of mods with as many +'s as you feel like having. This gives you a basic rundown of what is considered "BPU" http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html

Keep in mind what octane is required to boost over about 17 psi. I would say that about 94 oct limits you to about 17psi (note octane units: our 94 PON is about equal to Euro 98 RON). At that power the stock twins are typically under 400rwhp which is about 475 crank hp on a 6 speed.

On higher suitable octane, the highest power output I recall seeing is from Stu Hagen's highly tweeked setup which was about 500rwhp...you can see the details on his website http://www.97supraturbo.com/ Then more recently "Mat" posted a dyno of his stock twin setup a little higher power than that, but direct comparison of his dyno with Stu's was questionable.

Even 500whp is only about 595 crank hp with a 6 speed. Auto trans has higher losses so more crank hp per wheel hp.

I have to agree ... I was able to put out 504 RWHP with stock twins but the effort (and cost) isn't worth it ... I have to admit - it is a LOT of fun driving that setup because it spools instantly but you won't be able to make that power for long as the twins are super-maxxed-out!

get 450RWHP out of the twins and be happy :)

As far as automatic ... I tried to break the record before doing my 6-speed swaps ... the AT just slips at around 430-450RWHP ... NO WAY to get to the 500RWHP-mark with an (stock)-AT.

Seing that you're from Germany - you can always PM/E-Mail me for questions - I've build a few cars in Austria/Germany/Swizerland and might be able to help u out with any questions (also in German of course) :)

· Registered
311 Posts
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a 97 twin turbo supra. The car is almost stock, the way i wanted it so i can do my own work. I have wanted a supra since i wanted to drive and finally got one.

Now i need to start my project. Not that it doesn't already have a lot of power but i would like to get more power out of it. I'm not looking at drag racing it right now or anything so i would like to keep it running on the twins right now. My question is: How much power could i get on the stock twin turbos and what would i need to do to achieve that power? I'm looking at around 600 crank horse power at least. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
Hey, congrats on the purchase. I wondered this exact set-up myself as I want to keep the engine set-up as stock as possible but the truth of the matter is, you need single turbo set-up if you want anything over 500hp/torque. As my research confirms and what many already believe and tried/tested, single bigger turbo setup is best simply cause the set-up is easier, more efficient, and quiet frankly much better performance than playing with the stock twins. You could squeeze out more power out of the twins but you would be wasting time and money cause eventually you would want to go bigger HP gains.

If you are happy with ~450 at the wheels, then BPU++ might be for you.. But anything over that, you will greatly shorten the life of the twins if you keep em. Otherwise, get a nice single turbo set-up and start from there.

Good Luck!

· Registered
113 Posts
I have to agree, 450 at the wheels is maxxing out your stock turbos. But like any project you need a goal, if your goal is 600hp at the crank then you are entering another world or the next step in Supra evelution. I am assumeing that the car is a daily driver and mostly stock. If I where you I would start with all the basic components ie intake, exhaust, boost controller, intercooler, and when the clutch goes do an upgrade and the flywheel. Right there you will most likely have one of the fastest street cars you probably know. It all depends on your budget, you can achive whatever your heart desires that's the beautiful thing about the Supra.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, thank you to everyone for the quick reply's. The information is very helpful. I what i will probably do is play with the twins for a lil while but like you guys say eventually get the single turbo.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to agree ... I was able to put out 504 RWHP with stock twins but the effort (and cost) isn't worth it ... I have to admit - it is a LOT of fun driving that setup because it spools instantly but you won't be able to make that power for long as the twins are super-maxxed-out!

get 450RWHP out of the twins and be happy :)

As far as automatic ... I tried to break the record before doing my 6-speed swaps ... the AT just slips at around 430-450RWHP ... NO WAY to get to the 500RWHP-mark with an (stock)-AT.

Seing that you're from Germany - you can always PM/E-Mail me for questions - I've build a few cars in Austria/Germany/Swizerland and might be able to help u out with any questions (also in German of course) :)
Thank you for your help, I do have the 6 speed so i wont have to worry about the automatic. I do live in Germany but i am here with the military and the car is actually back in the states. I am storing it there until i get home in about a year. I cant wait to get home and start playing with it.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thank you for the links, they are helpful. I'm sure i will eventually go single since i would like to see about 600 HP and i don't want to push the twins too hard. I do have an extra set of twins that came with the car from the previous owner but i know how turbos can fail if they are pushed to their max.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.