Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching and only found only scattered info of the tranny W58 on the N/A car. How many max rwhp and rwtq this stock tranny can handle safely? Does anyone have a list of the cars with this tranny? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
350 safely... but have been put up to 500+whp with a good clutch.
Wow! That's impressive. My car is actually a SC400 with 13 psi of boost. It's somewhere in the 400 rwhp and rwtq now. I got a happy foot so I'd like to abuse the tranny a little bit, even at launching. My auto tranny just gave out so I'm looking into the W58 for easy swap. Thanks for the response.

·
Banned
1,168 Posts
I wouldn't abuse the tranny too much at that power level. It depends on your driving. If you drop the clutch a lot, it'll obviously die faster.

·
CAR > FAMILY
150 Posts
It's somewhere in the 400 range. I know that a friend of mine had one in his car with something like 375 whp, he eventually ended up killing it. Though he did drift the car, so it may have lasted longer at that range.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
it really depends on how much you abuse your car. i've heard, shy away from hard launches and 3rd gear pulls on the w58. i'll be putting right around 520rwhp on mine, and i actually want it to last long enough for me to get a v160. haha (like it'll last that long).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know if there's a place that has a rebuild kit to strengthen the W58? Or even a shop that can actually rebuild it to make it stronger. But anyway, thanks a lot for your inputs.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
I did 501rwhp on my W58 with a RPS 6 puck clutch + PP and been running it for the past 3 years. I'm a mature driver and dont drive like an ass dropping the clutch and racing it at every stop light. I occasionally take it on spirited mountain drives and highway pulls when taunted by domestics but thats it. :)

The question is how do you know if the transmission is dead if all gears and synchros smooth and fine????

Btw, i changed out the tranny fluid to Royal purple and it works great.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
When people are saying their W58's are blowing, do they go out gradually or is it just popping all of the sudden making the car undrivable until repaired?

I was formerly Na-t with a 67mm at (a claimed) 500+whp and I'm now BPU level on my W58. Still shifts perfectly.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
When people are saying their W58's are blowing, do they go out gradually or is it just popping all of the sudden making the car undrivable until repaired?.
Depends, usually a gear or 2 blow out so you drive home in 4th without ever stopping.

·
Registered
63 Posts
good job gyus im in the process of installing my w58 with rsp cluth i didnt want to yet i was thinking of an r54 but i dont have the cash but a friend of mine just did a swap he give me his now im thinkfull after reading this post lol yall the best

·
Registered
265 Posts
im running 15 psi on w58 tranny here with stage 3 disc from clutch masters stock pressure plate
thing is that i only hit the gas when im rolling ,i never launch it, i had a bad experience doing that dont wanna break the tranny to soon :p

·
Registered
875 Posts
Odds are a r154 wont be any better then a w58. You need it rebuilt with upgraded internals to handle the extra strain. mk3 people have blown out r154s in the 400 range.
You should check again your infos on the R154 trans....
Odds are you've been given wrong information about that :whip:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts