Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think the max safe cruising speed is on the supra? Assuming no traffic 4 lane highway like say driving from flagstaff to Albuquerque. I don't mean safe like not crash and die but safe for the drivetrain. I don't imagine that it engine would be happy cruising 5000 rpm and probably a couple pounds of boost for hours at a time. That's a lot of wear. I'd say 120 is probably the upper limit due to gearing. What you guys think?

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Need to think about the fact that Toyota installed differential coolers in Euro market Supras no doubt to deal with higher freeway cruising speeds. Sustained 120mph for hours at a time in a USDM Supra might bump diff fluid temps too high.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Why would the car be at a couple lbs of boost for hours at a time? Driving on a consistently uphill road, both ways? There is no reason the car should get into boost when just cruising, unless there is a load on the engine, like from climbing a hill or aggressively passing.

Al

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would the car be at a couple lbs of boost for hours at a time? Driving on a consistently uphill road, both ways? There is no reason the car should get into boost when just cruising, unless there is a load on the engine, like from climbing a hill or aggressively passing.

Al
I figure if your going fast enough you'lload the engine enough to create boost. At 85 in my car it only pulls 7 on the vac gauge. So at say 130 or 140 it would probably have to be in boost just to overcome air resistance. And the diff coolers are a good point they are probably nessicary for high speed driving. Wheel bearings might get hot also. I don't imagine the trans would run into problems. I just think the rpms on the engine would be the biggest concern. But then again people road race all day and don't have issues for the most part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts