Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OPEN TRACK RACING

Just a quick reminder Racer Buddies...

Our next event is scheduled for May 11, 2005 on the big track at Willow Springs. This event will be run in the same fashion as all previous events. We will have three run groups, beginner, intermediate and advanced. Each run group will get (5) 30 minute run sessions totaling 2 1/2 hours of track time. For all newbies or people who want to attend, we will have classroom instruction followed by on-track instruction. As always, all paid participants will get an all you can eat BBQ lunch and an OPEN TRACK RACING shirt. The price for this event is $145.00. Please remember that all OTR events are open to all that want to attend, so please tell a friend!

I am fully aware that everyone is very comfortible at registering at the very last minute, but if you could please take the time to register early, it would be very helpful to us at OTR.

Registration URL

Anyone going?

-Kapi

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wish I could go I love the big track at willow. I am strictly weekends and holidays, thanks for the post though.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
thanks Kapi. Any chance you can give us more than 8 days notice next time? I can go during the week, but not with 1 weeks notice.

Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently installed the following clutch setup on my 6sp:

RPS Stage 3 clutch with sprung hub (Max Series) / 6 puck RPS Cyn-R-G segmented flywheel (props to Dusty @ MVP Motorsports for getting me the parts on time despite various snags)

After breaking the combo in driving it around in NorCal highway traffic for about 200 miles I took it down to Willow Springs (big track) to really see what this setup can do.
The car is setup with coilover with 14k springs in front and 10k spring in the rear. It is corner balanced and runs Lance alignment specs. I have stock turbos with 110k miles on them configured in TTC. Boost via AVCR is set to 1.3kg/70%duty. Stock wheels with S-03 Pilot sports all around (235 fronts and 275 rears ... Yeah I know fronts should be wider). All breaks/bads are cryoed. Rotors are stock sized Brembo x-dilled with hawk pads (blue) all around. Valvoline Synthetic break fluid.

Willow Springs track is a very fast track for those of you outside CA. Front streight is about 120-130 mph and back streight can be as fast as 130 mph if you have the balls ;-).

To try to keep things on topic...

I drove the car down from San Francisco which is about 380 miles drive. At highway speeds the clutch feels pretty good. It doesn’t rattle and the only noizy aspect is lifting off throttle if you are revving past 4k in any gear. It sounds like things are griding down but hopefully that’s not really whats happening ;)

At the track in the early moring the temps were in the 70 deg range and heating up really fast. The first stint - if we can call it that - was basically a break in test. Trying to see how the clutch would hold and also to test the breaks since I never ran this combo before.

I ran this track once before when I had the auto transmission in it and while it was definiatelly fun I would ran out of gears on various corners. Having to upshift made me loose all the power and riding the rev limiter is simply not very plesant for extended periods of time.

Getting the car off the line (standing still start) to get on the track was painful. Even though I already had some miles with this clutch in traffic I managed to stall it pissing everyone behind me off ;-). No matter. Things like that happen to the best and I certainly am only a novice at road racing. Once on the track the car felt really good. The clutch engagement and on/off switch behaviour at the track is really great. There is no sliping this thing. If you drop the gear down while carrying too much spead the transmission is going to lock you rears up without any problem. Very non-desirable behaviour considering the breaks cost vs tramission cost but hey that’s why this is not a cheap hobby. After runing a few laps to warm myself up (and the car ;-) it was time to get on it a bit. First interesting experience was getting into turn 3 which requires a downshift into 3rd. It took a few laps to get the break timing and downshift right but once I got being able to break and downshift and have the clutch grab the thrid gear with a tiny hint of wheel chirp is just awsome.

I guess because the flywheel is so light the car wants to rev high and rev there quickly. Any downshift under power require very little tap on the gas to get the revs in sync. Getting through turn 4 is fairly non-interesting clutch wise. Turn 5 is a little more interesting since exiting out of it I am in 4th gear. This turn is especially fun because drifting out of it is really easy in the Supra. Leaving turn 5 and flying over 6 gets me pretty much to the top of 4th. Right at the entry to 7 I was at around 6500 rpms in 4th. Apex of 7 is basically my shift point to 5th. Getting through 8 without lifting (off the throttle) took better part of the morning. I was worried about the breaks initially and breaking in the entry to 9 is somewhat all-or-offroading deal.
Downshifting into 4 and then 3 through 9 was also very nice on this clutch.

Getting through the front steight is easy with the hard part being turn 1. In the morining while it was still relatively cool I was able to get to about 120-125 (5th gear) before standing on the breaks and trying to 4 wheel drift through 1. The downshift into 4th under breaking is very solid. While I can't really say I have done a good trail break with a downshift, the clutch feels so solid when you drop the clutch after a few laps you simply start ignoring it.

Overall the my impression with this setup has been growing on me. This is by no means a setup for the street in my option. While certainly not the stiffest setup out there its really hard to drive smoothly. I have not had any passengers on the street in the car but I can only imagine how rough it will feel for them. First two gears are pretty useless and yes you can chirp brand new tires upshifting to second. The real benefits of this clutch/flywheel combo come in its on/off switching when under power at speed. There is no hesitation or delay in power application. Clutch drops and you have no doubts you are in the selected gear. Again on the street this means the whole car shutters and feels like something is about to break. It can be very cool if you are in that sort of thing. I had a friend of mine drive on the street who does testing for various race cars at Sears point and his description of how it felt was .... 'Trans Am tramission' the racing version with no-syncros ;-). Its not quite that bad but it certainly sounds like it means business.

On the track this setup felt very strong. I had dropped a gear down a few times very hard getting the lower gear very close to the redline and with a clunc the lower gear was holding. Few fun downshifts into 3 gear on turn 5 grabbing it above 6k rpm felt very solid. Since at the track there were very few times when I was slowing down in-gear I have not heard the grinding rattle which is very evident in streat driving.

Overall I am very happy with the setup for the track.

Few other tidbits about the the driving at WS.

- 80/20 water/coolant combo in the radiator and I had no problems with cooling even in the early afternoon when the temps were in the 85-90 range.

- breaks. At first the above break combo feels very wimpy. Once at temperature things change drastically. Very strong breaks with no fade at all. Stock pads with stock rotors felt very similar to be honest once this combo warmed up. My only problem with stockers was warping shortly after this type of an event. Will see how this cryo'ed combo holds up.

- I had one offroading expedition out of turn 1. At the end of the day there is a reason why one should take it easy. After only one lap I decided to try to go for time and must have missed the turn in point. Entering turn 1 at about 110 or so I pretty much new immediatelly we were going into the dirt. I tried very hard to drift through it but ended up running out of track. I streightned the car out just prior to hitting the dirt and drove into grass at about 80 or so. I have Mohd's shield under the intercooler and the stock shroud under the engine. This setup effectively completelly covers the bottom front of the car. If it wasn't for this sheild I would have probably lost the front mount intercooler. Instead all I ended up with was lots of grass and dirt on my front grill. No damage at all. Drove the car another 600 miles to Costa Mesa and back to San Francisco.

- shocks/alignment/balancing setup is very nice. Despite having skinny (235) tires on the front the car felt very good at the track. I had another person drive it who is really good and he loved the way the car was balanced and how it felt in terms of power delivery. Tein HA coilvers were set to 5 clicks front and rear for those counting and the tire preasure cold was 32 all around. The thread wear all around was perfect with no obnormal patterns anywhere.

Sorry for the long writeup.
-Kapi

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey kapi sounds like you had fun. A couple of tips if you are interested. From turn 8 to turn 9 downshift from 5th to 4th no brakes and ride through 9 in 4th accelerating through the apex towards the hot pit and use the whole track. Turn 1 learn to set the wheel before the apex and drive through setting the car on a line no drift just use the whole track,hard to do since it is a partial blind turn.If you get turn 1 and turn 9 right you will have faster lap times As they are the most important turns on the track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts