Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
FAITH
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't feel like joing the rx7 board just to post a new thread like this, and I also don't want biased opinions from them.

I've been seeing really nice and well put together RX& single turbos going for 15k-20k. Right now that seems better than saving up more for an MKIV and only getting stock or BPU.

I've always like the RX7, but have been afraid of reliability issues.

If anyone here has owned one or owned one currently, post please.

-Khader

·
Registered
104 Posts
RX-7s are very tempermental cars. They require precise tuning and maintainence. If you leave it close to stock and take care of the car, it can last you for awhile with no real issues. I opt for you to get a LS1 equipped car if you looking for modifying the car with power and reliability in mind, not that the RX-7 can't make high hp, but a LSX eqipped vehicle will do it while not being so finicky. For 15-20k you can almost get a clean example of a LSX RX-7. Good luck in either choices, these are fantastic cars.

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
Uh, don't even think about getting a FD and daily driving it. It will leave you stranded. I have personally never met a modded FD that has been modded and still running on a stock motor. And plus, when modded, they sound worse then a Honda with no exhaust.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Depends on how the previous owner(s) maintained the car. I know a few FD3S owners who daily drive their car with little to no issues. Its a sports car so expect little things to happen. Spend a little more cash and get a well maintained one with records, etc. Looking for the "best deal" doesn't neccessarily pan out that way in the long run. Just my 2psi

·
GM Interior Designer
658 Posts
G said:
Uh, don't even think about getting a FD and daily driving it. It will leave you stranded. I have personally never met a modded FD that has been modded and still running on a stock motor.
Most of the ones I have seen used that were kept stock boast things like "FRESH REBUILD" or "NEW FACTORY MOTOR."

And plus, when modded, they sound worse then a Honda with no exhaust.
Yeah, they do have a droning Honda like sound. I think they are beautiful cars, but I could not afford to have one unless it was a second or third car. I'd have to stay true to the game and build the rotary and not do any LSX swap though, no matter what the proponents of that swap say.

·
Ready. Set. Gone.
4,832 Posts
The rx7 is a very touchy car. The naturally aspirated models are more reliable than the turbo models, however. You WILL not get a biased opinion from that board..the consensus is that if you want an Rx7 (FD especially)..you better have a spare DD..or you are screwed.

I was VERY close to getting a FD, but I didn't due to how high maintenance they are. I'm going to college, and a fairly reliable car is more practical for a student. I got an rx-8 instead...still high maintenance..but not HALF as bad...good warranty too.

If you can afford it Rx-7 all of the way along with a DD...if not, just wait.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
A small single means Intakes, Fuel mods, ECU, and bigger cooling (Radiator, fan switch, bigger IC) which actually simplifies the engine bay heavily and makes the car easier to diagnose.

If you can get one that's done right you'll have one of the BEST handling cars on the road with power to spare. The "Raspy" Rotary sound can easily be drowned by either a good turbo or a great RB Dual Exhaust (The quietest, but also sexiest, aftermarket exhaust for the FD) and between the two you still have an awesome sounding car.

Looks is hands down, awesome.

Reliability? Eh, well, at that point the motor, while maybe expensive to replace, is easy to replace, since the bay is much more empty and accessible.

As your only car though? I'd say that's a bit much,...

-DBR (Former FD Owner)

·
Dreamer
1,627 Posts
Man, I don't know what you guys are talking about!! Rotary engines sound so sweet to me :sadance: I did have RB dual exhaust, though :)

FC used to be my only car and it was like having no car at all for 50% of times. It's either hit or miss... you get lucky(given that you take GREAT care of FD) or you are damned(even though you take care of it...). But FD with cheap daily driver would be great. Just make sure you get AAA membership in case you need towing ;) I did with my FC and oh boy was it useful. haha.

Well, with LS-1 swap, you would have an amazing and reliable car... ;) LS-1 FD is one of my dream cars :D

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
I would not touch a turbo rotary car with a 1000 foot pole.

DaRiCEr said:
For 15-20k you can almost get a clean example of a LSX RX-7.
You can absolutely find a clean LS1 FD for $15-20k. Had a rotary FD guy come up to chat to me at a fast food drive through the other day, asking me how I liked the LS1. He'd gone through 4 motors already.

·
Over Medicated
2,720 Posts
My buddies FD is on its 3rd motor, still stock twins but a bunch of other mods. He put out over 360 rwhp on the stock twins and 17psi, ran a 12.3 with shitty 60 foot times on drag dadials. It's his daily driver and like Hellspawn's pic says, 60% of the time it works every time... :gapteeth:

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Road & Track did a "Used Car Classics" or something review on one. Basically they re-review sports cars that are a few years old, giving them the advantage of showing what to look for in them specifically, and offering reliability data. What shocked me was they said the motors often need replacement or rebuild after about 55-60,000 miles commonly. Keep in mind, this is R&T, not Sport Compact Car or Turbo Magazine, so they are focused on STOCK cars. They probably weren't even talking to 'BPU' owners for the article. They did do a nice, detailed article, though.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hellspawn said:
You can absolutely find a clean LS1 FD for $15-20k.
Can you tell me where to look? I have always wanted a FD.

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
nsx4ever said:
Can you tell me where to look? I have always wanted a FD.
Here's what I told someone else who messaged me:

Go to http://www.torquecentral.com/index.php? and do a search in the "v8 rx7" and "v8 rx7 lounge" forums for "sell" "selling" "sale" etc. in the thread title and you should come up with a few. Also post a "wanted to buy" thread in the lounge and people will respond that don't even have their car up for sale.

You should even just PM some people who's cars you like asking if they would be willing to sell, even if they haven't put it up for sale. For most of the people there, the building is the fun part and they will just build a faster one if they sell you their current car, has happened many times. There are several guys who just keep building and selling, going from LS1's to LS2's to stroked LS2's, to adding turbo's trying to 1-up each other :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think in the last couple years people have learned alot about the rotaries. These engines can be reliable. I agree with the poster that said a single turbo one with upgradded parts is actually reliable. The turbo 2 87-91 cars would last over 120k miles on the original engines but the twin turbo 93-95 engines usually lasted alot less.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Hellspawn:

Can you make a video of your car? I'd like to hear/see it in action at least on the web since I can't in person much anywhere... :ugh2:

I know Hinson has vid's and pictures but most of their cars are more track dedicated, and less tame.

I'd like an LS1 FD in the near future but I'd definitely want it more tame, meaning a normal, smooth idle, quiet exhaust (Need a cat), reasonable cabin noise....

Does the LS1 rev? Or are you pretty much done with usable powerband at 5-6k? I forgot where the redline starts and the tach stops at....

·
V,B
655 Posts
<----doing of LS1 swap right now. sent out the subframe a month ago, got all the fuel(from summitracing) and cooling parts ready, even got the JTR long tube headers in my room.
can't wait until it gets finished.
when modded, over 400rwhp NA with instant power, no lag

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:
Hellspawn:

Can you make a video of your car? I'd like to hear/see it in action at least on the web since I can't in person much anywhere... :ugh2:

I know Hinson has vid's and pictures but most of their cars are more track dedicated, and less tame.

I'd like an LS1 FD in the near future but I'd definitely want it more tame, meaning a normal, smooth idle, quiet exhaust (Need a cat), reasonable cabin noise....

Does the LS1 rev? Or are you pretty much done with usable powerband at 5-6k? I forgot where the redline starts and the tach stops at....
Here ya go:
http://media.putfile.com/ls1rx719

Video from when the previous owner had it before I mader her a little purttier. That pass was [email protected], it shows on my vid but got cut off when someone hosted it for me. Best from the previous owner was [email protected] with a 1.8x 60ft on drag radials. My local strip is a piece of shit so I haven't been motivated to go myself yet.

Redline is 6900. Here's the dyno:

Rx7-2JOCK said:
I like my FD ;)
Haha no offense Jock :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts