Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
McLaren is working on a replacement for its 650S supercar, the mainstay of its mid-range Super Series family.

Prototypes for the car, code-named P14, have been spied for almost a year and McLaren design boss Frank Stephenson has also been dropping a few hints, including stating that it will feature a more radical look than even the P1.

Now Autogespot has managed to dig up a few crucial details. The usually accurate Dutch website reports that the P14 will be called the 720S and make its debut next March at the 2017 Geneva auto show.

In McLaren tradition, the “720” in the name signifies that the car is packing 720 horsepower, in metric figures. For the United States the figure equates to 710 hp. Interestingly, the power is said to be coming from a new twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V-8 engine. This engine has been designed to work with a new modular hybrid system McLaren is developing for models, and it will eventually replace the 3.8-liter currently in use.

The familiar McLaren Monocell carbon fiber tub introduced on the 12C will continue. McLaren is working on a new carbon tub, but like the modular hybrid system it will come on a later model.

Autogespot also indicates that the P14 will feature a radical interior design where the dashboard will be lowered whenever the driver switches the car into Track mode to provide the best view ahead as possible. Key information such as current gear, rpm and oil pressure will be clearly visible, though. We’ve also heard that the dash will become even more streamlined than at present, with virtually everything handled via the main instrument cluster and steering wheel-mounted controls.

McLaren’s 650S and its 675LT big brother are already among the fastest supercars you can buy today, and the P14 is shaping up to be even faster yet—by a significant margin. The debut can't come soon enough.

The 2017 Geneva auto show starts March 7. To learn about some of the other vehicles set to appear at the Swiss show, head to our dedicated hub.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1107732_report-mclaren-650s-replacement-to-be-called-720s-debut-in-geneva

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Jesus. Basically the P1 technology trickling down...

There will come a point in time where the technology and power will be unable to make it to the ground. Tire technology really hasn't improved that much, the only thing to make cars like them to stick to the ground with that amount of power and that little of weight will be racing tire compounds with tread.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
When your "mid range" ends up with better ending, technology and power than the "special" 675LT. I don't know of a car manufacturer that pisses off their customers more than McLaren Lol

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,940 Posts
Tire technology really hasn't improved that much
You would be surprised. How do you think a MkV ACR got round Laguna 5.3s faster than a MkIV ACR? And how do you think an AMG GTR with 577hp and 1630kg beat Sport Auto's 918 Nordschleife record?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
The 720S won't be as cheap as the 650S, or the 675LT.
You are saying the 720S will be more expensive than the 675LT? No way. The 675 was a numbered limited production, the 720S will not be. The 720s is the 650s replacement so it definitely will be same price category.

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,940 Posts
You are saying the 720S will be more expensive than the 675LT? No way. The 675 was a numbered limited production, the 720S will not be. The 720s is the 650s replacement so it definitely will be same price category.
That's not what I've heard over on McLaren Life. The 720S is a step change from the 650S, which I predict the sports range will grow to fill the vacuum of. Both the 720S and 991 GT2RS are rumoured to be as fast (or faster than) the P1 and 918 on track and will have scope to include hybrid technology. Of course whether that means faster with the same tyres, or just faster is open to question.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
That's not what I've heard over on McLaren Life. The 720S is a step change from the 650S, which I predict the sports range will grow to fill the vacuum of. Both the 720S and 991 GT2RS are rumoured to be as fast (or faster than) the P1 and 918 on track and will have scope to include hybrid technology. Of course whether that means faster with the same tyres, or just faster is open to question.

The fact that they will be faster than 918 is almost irrelevant. The Huracan Superleggera has beaten the 918 by a few seconds around the Ring confirmed by the very high ups and I believe it and it costs a 1/3 of a 918 and a 1/4 of a P1. But the 720S will not be a $500k car.

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,940 Posts
The fact that they will be faster than 918 is almost irrelevant. The Huracan Superleggera has beaten the 918 by a few seconds around the Ring confirmed by the very high ups and I believe it and it costs a 1/3 of a 918 and a 1/4 of a P1. But the 720S will not be a $500k car.
True at base value but Porsche reckons the post production 918 could have gone about 10+s faster around the 'ring than the pre-prod version and the pre-prod lap was far from perfect.

The fortunate thing about the 720S is that the £ has fallen, so what would have been a $500k car, will now be a <$400k car. I think on McLife they were mentioning around £300k.

One way or another, exciting times all round.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Me too. Alpha has a difficult life.;)

LOL you guys are funny. But i swear it is difficult because it is never enough and no matter what anyone says its not. Specially for a car guys like us that just love cars. I do quite well but I am not shitting $100 bills so no matter what you are always wishing for the next thing and the one(s) you cant afford. Like 20yrs ago none of this bothered me, i admired these cars from afar just like I may look at Megan Fox knowing I am never going to bang her lol. Like the idea or possibility of owning these cars were fantasies so that was that. Now that I can afford them, it becomes a burden.

Amazing enough I dont drool over the 3 hypercars at all. I rather have a Countach or give an F40 or even better F50 than the newest hybrid shit. Just not on the wagon yet. I was 100% sure three months ago that this Spring I am buying an Aventador roadster. I really was 100% sure. But now i want a Carrera GT. I kick myself in the fucking ass cause just when i bought my first Murci a few years back they could be had for $350k all day and now a nice example is over $700k. But no question it will be a $1mil+ car all day in 5 years no questions asked. So the search continues....

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,940 Posts
If only we could all be Alexander West and have 3 P1s, 2 LaFerraris and a 918.:lol:

If I was investing, I would look at 997 GT2s and GT2 RSs now. Given that the 993 GT2 is now worth as much as a mansion, those, two, as the last manual GT2s, are likely to rise. Ditto for 997 GT3/GT3 RS/GT3 RS 4.0. About 6-8 years ago the 993 GT2 was roughly where they are now price wise. The 675LT may also be worth it in the long run, but that's not as clear cut to me from an investment perspective.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
If only we could all be Alexander West and have 3 P1s, 2 LaFerraris and a 918.:lol:

If I was investing, I would look at 997 GT2s and GT2 RSs now. Given that the 993 GT2 is now worth as much as a mansion, those, two, as the last manual GT2s, are likely to rise. Ditto for 997 GT3/GT3 RS/GT3 RS 4.0. About 6-8 years ago the 993 GT2 was roughly where they are now price wise. The 675LT may also be worth it in the long run, but that's not as clear cut to me from an investment perspective.

That was a sound idea until Porsche announced that they are going to make manual transmission available on the refresh GT3 and GT3 RS

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,940 Posts

·
Champagne Papi
5,676 Posts
That was a sound idea until Porsche announced that they are going to make manual transmission available on the refresh GT3 and GT3 RS
Ya Porsche really screwed over those people who paid $220k for a used RS. As far as Mclaren goes, I honestly wouldn't know which is which anymore. They all look the same and even have the same drive train. Yesterday, I saw they had manufactured 11,000 already.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
McLaren’s New Super-Series Model Confirmed For Geneva, Second-Gen Monocage II Carbon Tub Detailed

McLaren officially confirmed that the 650S successor will be revealed in Geneva, showing us for the first time the second-generation carbon fiber Monocage II tub.

Codenamed P14, the model that will replace the 650S in McLaren’s lineup will reportedly carry the 720S nameplate and according to the company, will tip the scales at just 1,283kg, which is 18kg less than a 650S with “comparable specification”.

McLaren says that their new Super Series models will be the lightest in its class, thanks to the new Monocage II carbon tub. The new chassis structure also allowed for an even lower centre of gravity for better handling, a wider cabin entrance and lower sills to improve access.

The company also revealed that they will offer a ‘Visible Monocage’ option to customers who wish to showcase the carbon chassis, exposing the material on the inside area of the A-pillar.

“Super Series is the core of the McLaren business and personifies the blend of extreme performance, crafted luxury and unparalleled driver involvement that is the McLaren heartland,” said McLaren’s CEO, Mike Flewitt. “This is the first time we have replaced a product family and the new Super Series will be absolutely true to McLaren’s pioneering spirit in being a revolutionary leap forwards, both for our brand and the supercar segment.”

So far we heard that the new, reportedly named 720S will be powered by an updated twin-turbo 4.0-litre V8 that makes 710hp (720PS), with the new supercar to feature a hardcore ‘Track’ mode which is similar to that of the P1.

The same reports say that sections of the dashboard will physically lower when ‘Track’ mode is enabled in order to help the driver focus on his driving, with the only visible information to be the tachometer, current gear, oil and cooling temperature and tire pressure.

And since this is McLaren we’re talking about, the new car is also said that it will be as fast as the P1 on track, as the company is eager to showcase their progress with the new generation.

The new McLaren will make its debut on March 7 at the Geneva Motor Show, so expect the first official images to show up in early March.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/mclarens-new-super-series-model.html

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
So the new mid range sports car from McLaren is just as fast as the Hyper Car P1 that is twice the price just 3 years ago.

I feel bad for those who bought a P1 now. LOL

·
I'm your huckleberry...
1,940 Posts
So the new mid range sports car from McLaren is just as fast as the Hyper Car P1 that is twice the price just 3 years ago.

I feel bad for those who bought a P1 now. LOL
There are tweaks coming for that too, including wider tyres and more powerful lighter e-motor and lighter high capacity battery with different orientation to lower CoG.

This car will be unbelievable. Probably a better buy then the P1

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/new-mclaren-super-series-model-teased-lighter-than-the-650s-114329.html

As a standalone automaker, McLaren Automotive is relatively new in the biz. It was 2010 when the car-making division became independent. A year later, the 12C made its debut as the newly spun company’s first model. Three years later, the 12C morphed into the 650S, but now it's time for something different.

At the 87th Geneva Motor Show, McLaren Automotive will replace the first-generation Super Series with an all-new breed. Currently known as the P14, all McLaren is willing to share about it for the time being is, in essence, not much. The carbon fiber chassis in the featured photo, for example, is called Monocage II and it’s described as being lighter than the 650S’ MonoCell.

Just how light? According to the Woking-based automaker, we’re in for a dry weight of 1,283 kg (2,828 lbs).” The Monocage II teaser also reveals a wide cabin entrance, lower sills, and pretty good visibility. A lower center of gravity is also in the offing, as is something called “Visible Monocage.” As per McLaren, that’s an option that exposes the carbon fiber on the inside of the A-pillars.

The first of 15 new cars included in McLaren’s Track 22 business plan, the P14 has been spied roaming on British B roads time and time again. Rumored to be christened 720S, the newcomer of the Super Series is also said to pack a larger engine than the 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 of the 650S. A certain report suggests that a 720 PS (710 hp) 4.0-liter V8 engine should fit the bill nicely.

“Super Series is the core of the McLaren business and personifies the blend of extreme performance, crafted luxury and unparalleled driver involvement that is the McLaren heartland,” said Mike Flewitt, the man who runs the show. “This is the first time we have replaced a product family and the new Super Series will be absolutely true to McLaren’s pioneering spirit in being a revolutionary leap forwards, both for our brand and the supercar segment.”

1 - 20 of 193 Posts
About this Discussion
192 Replies
23 Participants
lukos
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing