Supra Forums banner

McLaren 720S set to replace 650S, debut in Geneva

25K views 254 replies 24 participants last post by  Steve Theodore 
#1 ·
McLaren is working on a replacement for its 650S supercar, the mainstay of its mid-range Super Series family.

Prototypes for the car, code-named P14, have been spied for almost a year and McLaren design boss Frank Stephenson has also been dropping a few hints, including stating that it will feature a more radical look than even the P1.

Now Autogespot has managed to dig up a few crucial details. The usually accurate Dutch website reports that the P14 will be called the 720S and make its debut next March at the 2017 Geneva auto show.

In McLaren tradition, the “720” in the name signifies that the car is packing 720 horsepower, in metric figures. For the United States the figure equates to 710 hp. Interestingly, the power is said to be coming from a new twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V-8 engine. This engine has been designed to work with a new modular hybrid system McLaren is developing for models, and it will eventually replace the 3.8-liter currently in use.

The familiar McLaren Monocell carbon fiber tub introduced on the 12C will continue. McLaren is working on a new carbon tub, but like the modular hybrid system it will come on a later model.

Autogespot also indicates that the P14 will feature a radical interior design where the dashboard will be lowered whenever the driver switches the car into Track mode to provide the best view ahead as possible. Key information such as current gear, rpm and oil pressure will be clearly visible, though. We’ve also heard that the dash will become even more streamlined than at present, with virtually everything handled via the main instrument cluster and steering wheel-mounted controls.

McLaren’s 650S and its 675LT big brother are already among the fastest supercars you can buy today, and the P14 is shaping up to be even faster yet—by a significant margin. The debut can't come soon enough.

The 2017 Geneva auto show starts March 7. To learn about some of the other vehicles set to appear at the Swiss show, head to our dedicated hub.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...replacement-to-be-called-720s-debut-in-geneva

See less See more
#2 ·
Jesus. Basically the P1 technology trickling down...

There will come a point in time where the technology and power will be unable to make it to the ground. Tire technology really hasn't improved that much, the only thing to make cars like them to stick to the ground with that amount of power and that little of weight will be racing tire compounds with tread.

#3 · (Edited)
When your "mid range" ends up with better ending, technology and power than the "special" 675LT. I don't know of a car manufacturer that pisses off their customers more than McLaren Lol

#12 · (Edited)
LOL you guys are funny. But i swear it is difficult because it is never enough and no matter what anyone says its not. Specially for a car guys like us that just love cars. I do quite well but I am not shitting $100 bills so no matter what you are always wishing for the next thing and the one(s) you cant afford. Like 20yrs ago none of this bothered me, i admired these cars from afar just like I may look at Megan Fox knowing I am never going to bang her lol. Like the idea or possibility of owning these cars were fantasies so that was that. Now that I can afford them, it becomes a burden.

Amazing enough I dont drool over the 3 hypercars at all. I rather have a Countach or give an F40 or even better F50 than the newest hybrid shit. Just not on the wagon yet. I was 100% sure three months ago that this Spring I am buying an Aventador roadster. I really was 100% sure. But now i want a Carrera GT. I kick myself in the fucking ass cause just when i bought my first Murci a few years back they could be had for $350k all day and now a nice example is over $700k. But no question it will be a $1mil+ car all day in 5 years no questions asked. So the search continues....

#13 · (Edited)
If only we could all be Alexander West and have 3 P1s, 2 LaFerraris and a 918.:lol:

If I was investing, I would look at 997 GT2s and GT2 RSs now. Given that the 993 GT2 is now worth as much as a mansion, those, two, as the last manual GT2s, are likely to rise. Ditto for 997 GT3/GT3 RS/GT3 RS 4.0. About 6-8 years ago the 993 GT2 was roughly where they are now price wise. The 675LT may also be worth it in the long run, but that's not as clear cut to me from an investment perspective.

#14 ·
That was a sound idea until Porsche announced that they are going to make manual transmission available on the refresh GT3 and GT3 RS

#18 ·
McLaren’s New Super-Series Model Confirmed For Geneva, Second-Gen Monocage II Carbon Tub Detailed

McLaren officially confirmed that the 650S successor will be revealed in Geneva, showing us for the first time the second-generation carbon fiber Monocage II tub.

Codenamed P14, the model that will replace the 650S in McLaren’s lineup will reportedly carry the 720S nameplate and according to the company, will tip the scales at just 1,283kg, which is 18kg less than a 650S with “comparable specification”.

McLaren says that their new Super Series models will be the lightest in its class, thanks to the new Monocage II carbon tub. The new chassis structure also allowed for an even lower centre of gravity for better handling, a wider cabin entrance and lower sills to improve access.

The company also revealed that they will offer a ‘Visible Monocage’ option to customers who wish to showcase the carbon chassis, exposing the material on the inside area of the A-pillar.

“Super Series is the core of the McLaren business and personifies the blend of extreme performance, crafted luxury and unparalleled driver involvement that is the McLaren heartland,” said McLaren’s CEO, Mike Flewitt. “This is the first time we have replaced a product family and the new Super Series will be absolutely true to McLaren’s pioneering spirit in being a revolutionary leap forwards, both for our brand and the supercar segment.”

So far we heard that the new, reportedly named 720S will be powered by an updated twin-turbo 4.0-litre V8 that makes 710hp (720PS), with the new supercar to feature a hardcore ‘Track’ mode which is similar to that of the P1.

The same reports say that sections of the dashboard will physically lower when ‘Track’ mode is enabled in order to help the driver focus on his driving, with the only visible information to be the tachometer, current gear, oil and cooling temperature and tire pressure.

And since this is McLaren we’re talking about, the new car is also said that it will be as fast as the P1 on track, as the company is eager to showcase their progress with the new generation.

The new McLaren will make its debut on March 7 at the Geneva Motor Show, so expect the first official images to show up in early March.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/mclarens-new-super-series-model.html

#19 ·
So the new mid range sports car from McLaren is just as fast as the Hyper Car P1 that is twice the price just 3 years ago.

I feel bad for those who bought a P1 now. LOL

#20 · (Edited)
There are tweaks coming for that too, including wider tyres and more powerful lighter e-motor and lighter high capacity battery with different orientation to lower CoG.

This car will be unbelievable. Probably a better buy then the P1

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/n...odel-teased-lighter-than-the-650s-114329.html

As a standalone automaker, McLaren Automotive is relatively new in the biz. It was 2010 when the car-making division became independent. A year later, the 12C made its debut as the newly spun company’s first model. Three years later, the 12C morphed into the 650S, but now it's time for something different.

At the 87th Geneva Motor Show, McLaren Automotive will replace the first-generation Super Series with an all-new breed. Currently known as the P14, all McLaren is willing to share about it for the time being is, in essence, not much. The carbon fiber chassis in the featured photo, for example, is called Monocage II and it’s described as being lighter than the 650S’ MonoCell.

Just how light? According to the Woking-based automaker, we’re in for a dry weight of 1,283 kg (2,828 lbs).” The Monocage II teaser also reveals a wide cabin entrance, lower sills, and pretty good visibility. A lower center of gravity is also in the offing, as is something called “Visible Monocage.” As per McLaren, that’s an option that exposes the carbon fiber on the inside of the A-pillars.

The first of 15 new cars included in McLaren’s Track 22 business plan, the P14 has been spied roaming on British B roads time and time again. Rumored to be christened 720S, the newcomer of the Super Series is also said to pack a larger engine than the 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 of the 650S. A certain report suggests that a 720 PS (710 hp) 4.0-liter V8 engine should fit the bill nicely.

“Super Series is the core of the McLaren business and personifies the blend of extreme performance, crafted luxury and unparalleled driver involvement that is the McLaren heartland,” said Mike Flewitt, the man who runs the show. “This is the first time we have replaced a product family and the new Super Series will be absolutely true to McLaren’s pioneering spirit in being a revolutionary leap forwards, both for our brand and the supercar segment.”

#21 · (Edited)
McLaren Has a Winner On Its Hands If The New 720S Looks Like This

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/mclaren-has-winner-on-its-hands-if-new.html

McLaren recently confirmed that its successor to the 650S will debut at the Geneva Motor Show 2017 in early March.

If the latest speculation is to be believed, the model will be dubbed the 720S and debut a new 4.0-liter twin-turbocharged V8 engine from the Woking-based automaker. While no official pictures or teasers of the P14 have been released, a member on the McLaren Life forum and Drive Tribe has rendered how the car could look.

The renderings in question are based around spy shots which surfaced of the model back in September. They showed a matte grey P14 prototype absent of any camouflage and believed to be adorned with its production-spec body. Although it’s hard to say why McLaren tested such a revealing prototype in public, we now know just how much of a looker the 720S will be.

At the front, it will include a set of thoroughly re-designed headlights which don’t mimic the shape of the brand’s logo like all of its existing models. Additionally, the shape of the vehicle’s cabin will closely mimic that of the P1 hypercar as will some of its prominent lines and creases along the sides.

All in all, the model looks like an appropriate mix between the outgoing 650S and the P1 and seems set to make the design of the 488 GTB seems pedestrian.

Here's Our First Real Look at the Mclaren 650S Successor, the P14

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...s-our-first-look-at-the-mclaren-p14/?zoomable

Although the McLaren 650S has only been around for two years, it looks like it's about to be replaced. Say hello to the McLaren P14.

According to Car and Driver, sources inside the company say the P14 will, in essence, be a junior P1. It'll still have McLaren's signature carbon-fiber monocoque tub and turbocharged 3.8-liter V8, but feature a host of new technologies to compete against the likes of the Ferrari 488 GTB.

Looking at the pictures, we can see the body is much more center-focused, bringing the panels tighter to the driver's compartment. The side mirrors have to stretch quite a bit to be useful, indicating an extremely wide rear stance. The rear of the car is shorter and simpler than its predecessor, but we can still see a deployable rear wing, just like the 650S. Looking at the front of the car, McLaren decided to ditch the logo-style headlight in favor of a smaller, pointer item, with what seem to be integrated air intakes underneath. We're not sure how spy photographers were able to capture this car completely un-camouflaged, but we're not complaining.

Expect the P14 to be revealed in production guise sometime very soon. We can't wait.

#22 · (Edited)
New McLaren Super Series Model Teased, Will Feature 50 Percent More Downforce Than 650S

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/new-mclaren-super-series-model-teased.html

McLaren released the first teaser image of the highly anticipated successor to the 650S, letting us know in the meantime that it will offer an incredible improvement on aerodynamic efficiency over the current model.

The British supercar maker also confirmed that they will unveil the new Super Series model, which allegedly will go by the 720S suffix, on March 7 at the Geneva Motor Show.

Like the 650S, the new model will feature an active rear wing with airbrake functionality to secure balance when braking from high speed, with McLaren claiming that it will offer double the aerodynamic efficiency of its predecessor, with increased downforce and improved cooling among other highlights which will be revealed at a later date.

The rear wing will extend over the full rear width of the new supercar while there will be also a new dihedral door design that incorporates two separate air ducts within its structure; one will force air from the top of the door down into the radiators to cool the engine while the other will draw air out of the front wheel arch in order to increase downforce.

That last bit is another clue of what McLaren is going to offer, as spotted prototypes made a big impression with their lack of visible side air intakes, an unprecedented feature for a mid-engined supercar. McLaren is also believed to have prospective customers invited over for an early preview, according to a recent report.

“A range of advanced aerodynamic technologies contributes to maximum generated downforce over 50% greater than that of the McLaren 650S and ensures truly outstanding levels of grip and stability,” said Mark Vinnels, Executive Director - Product Development, McLaren Automotive. “We have also markedly improved cooling efficiency, with a 15% gain overall and a particular focus on airflow to the engine’s high temperature radiators through a unique new design of dihedral door.”

The new McLaren is reportedly going to use a heavily reworked version of the company's twin-turbo V8, now stretched to 4.0 liters of capacity, producing around 710hp (720PS). Other reports suggest the use of a hybrid system, similar to that in the P1. All we have to do is stay tuned, as we're literally days away of finding out every detail.

#24 ·
I told you guys that this is the 650s replacement and not a different model with a higher price point. This car is going to be sick and I will own one in 3 years when its 50% off :)

#29 ·
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...41866-p14-what-looks-like-30.html#post1297914

I've heard today that the P14 can do the Castelloli Circuit (the circuit where the 675LT launch video was shot) 4 seconds a lap quicker than the LT. I've heard that it is also quicker around the same track than both the P1 and the 918 Spyder as it was tested against both. I've not seen this for myself but I have heard it from a reliable source so looking forward to seeing whether it is true.
Sounds too good to be true.

#30 ·
Man, if the P14 out-performs the 675LT by any significant margin anywhere, it's going to be a huge bummer in a lot of ways. I just cannot get around the fact that McLaren one-ups themselves so aggressively and so quickly. That's a delicate balance, and one that Porsche has really mastered by intentionally handicapping cars based on engine power and/or tire sizes, compounds. It astounds me that McLaren seem to think that this balance should not be respected.

Remember how the Ferrari F50 was slower in instrumented testing than the F40? That was an example of a model that was actually SUPPOSED to out-perform it's 10 year old sibling and didn't. McLaren does stuff the completely other way! :lol:

#31 ·
You are right on. The question is how can it not outperform the 675LT? It is going to be just as light and make 40-50more hp with 4.0L engine instead of a 3.8. And it has all the new wizardry that Mclaren has thrown in there. Hell the 675LT barely and I mean barely beats the 650s, so the 720s is going to trounce it.

#32 ·
...and that doesn't even BEGIN to cover my frustration if the P14 can even keep up with the P1 on lap-times. If that happens, it's going to be pure absurdity.

McLaren may be thinking this is a good thing to do, but actions like this would actually prevent me from buying any modern (1-3 year old) model from them. I think they are absolutely insane if the P14 performs as well as that thread over on McLaren Life forum mentions.

#33 ·
I am loving it honestly lol. My buddy just bought a 2016 650s for $230k out the door for a car that had a $330k sticker price a few months ago. If this continues we will be buying a 720s for $180-200k in 2-3 years which would be the best bang for the buck in all of automotive across the board lol

#35 ·
There are two camps. The ones that are smart and buying used that are happy and the ones that dumped ALL THE MONEY that are getting hosed. For comparison Lamborghini has been making the Aventador since 2012 and are just making the S version which is essentially still the same car and not a new car only for 2018. And they make sure that the S is not going to outperform the SV in looks or performance. And the A's replacement wont come until at least 2011 which is the usual 10 year cycle. Mclaren has made the MP4, 650s, 570s, 675LT, 675HS, and now the 720s, and by 2011 i am sure three more models lol

#36 ·
The New McLaren 720S Is Finally Leaked And Boy Does It Look Special

With McLaren already showing their new supercar to potential and future owners during special events in the USA, it was only a matter of time before it was our turn to see it prior to its official debut at the Geneva Motor Show.

The photo was posted by woppum on Instagram, showing an orange example of the allegedly-named 720S during a preview event.

Codenamed P14, the new McLaren is expected to offer 720PS (710hp) from its revised twin-turbo V8 while using the latest iteration of the company’s carbon monocoque, making it 18kg (40lbs) lighter than a 650S with comparable specification, tipping the scales at 1,283kg (2,828lbs) dry.

The new McLaren 720S is reportedly going to have one of the most impressive aero agendas in the market and a special “track” mode, just like the P1 did. The same reports go as far as claiming that the new model will be actually faster than the P1 around a track.

The whole design is certainly a departure from the 650S, with the body featuring much cleaner lines and a very different roofline, courtesy of the new Monocage II.

With the first leaked image already online, don’t be surprised if McLaren decides to reveal its new supercar earlier so stay tuned.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/the-new-mclaren-720s-is-finally-leaked.html

#43 ·
I love that McLaren is consistently just interested in doing better and better no matter what model in their line up they take down. Its a refreshing change of the intentional handy caps you watch the other big names do.