Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
McLaren To Revive Iconic F1 Name For New Grand Tourer

May not be as good as the original (No V12) but hopefully Mclaren will prove me wrong.

Release date: 2018
Limited to :64-unit limited run is expected to cost £2 million (Rs. 17.81 crore) when it is launched in 2018.
Power:McLaren's 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 which will be pushing over 700 horsepower onto the road
Interior: Return of 3 seating position.

http://www.drivespark.com/four-wheelers/2016/new-mclaren-f1-hyper-gt-015889.html

·
4,109 Posts
They sure are whoring out that V8.
I'm sorry, but if it doesn't have a V12, it shouldn't be called an F1, IMO - no matter how much HP it makes. I'm sure it'll be awesome, but it'd be like building a a turbo 4 Supra.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Fan of the idea. Definitely not a fan of the execution. So we are gonna have a car that will make less hp than the P1 but cost more just because it has a 3rd seat? What made the F1 the icon was that motor. Putting the same damn motor that you have in your $180k 570S in this multi million dollar new flagship car is dumb as hell. Will it sell? Every last one of them cause there is a sucker born every day lol

·
Dreamer
1,628 Posts
McLaren Refutes F1 Revival Report... Or Does It?

7/24/2016 03:08:00 PM | BY CARSCOOPS STAFF

Remember the rumors that surfaced last week of a new McLaren F1? Don't call your financial manager just yet, because the company's chief executive says they're just that: rumors.

The report from Autocar suggested that Woking was preparing to revive the legendary supercar in the form of a “hyper-GT,” complete with 1+2 seating layout but oriented more towards cruising in comfort than setting blistering lap times.

Speaking with journalists, however, at the announcement of its latest financial results, McLaren Automotive CEO Mike Flewitt denied the prospect... sorta. Car and Driver reports that Flewitt was dismissive of the Autocar report, saying that he's been asked many times about the prospect of a new F1, but that the company was more interested in moving forward than looking back.

The McLaren chief apparently stopped short of addressing the substance of the report, however. While asserting that the company wouldn't make “continuation” examples of the original F1 (like Jaguar has with the Lightweight E-Type and XKSS), he didn't negate the possibility of a high-powered luxury GT, or of bringing back the F1's novel seating layout.

With Brit publication sticking to its guns, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The vehicle in question may very well be in the works, but we guess it won't wear the original's nameplate.
Seems like they won't be using the F1 name again, even if they create 3 seater GT car.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If McLaren keeps up with their current ways and installs their 3.8L V8 engine into a potential new F1, it would really be unfortunate causing further brand dilution past an acceptable limit I feel. Also, placing a potential new F1 below the current P1 would be a big mistake too. They should leave their (historic) past in the past and move on, as they did with the P1, instead of trying to compromise and re-write the formula for the future.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If McLaren keeps up with their current ways and installs their 3.8L V8 engine into a potential new F1, it would really be unfortunate causing further brand dilution past an acceptable limit I feel. Also, placing a potential new F1 below the current P1 would be a big mistake too. They should leave their (historic) past in the past and move on, as they did with the P1, instead of trying to compromise and re-write the formula for the future.
yeah I was bum when I herd of that.

·
I'm your huckleberry...
2,183 Posts
But then you'd have pissed off P1 owners.

·
I'm your huckleberry...
2,183 Posts
As someone who SINCERELY wanted to love the BP23/SpeedTail, I can only say that I'm mildly disappointed at this point.
Nothing's going to beat a V12, especially not the F1's, but the way things are going, the internal combustion engine will be dead altogether before long.

I think the F1 is still the fastest NA production car???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts