Supra Forums banner

McLaren Senna Breaks Cover With 789 HP And "Striking" Design

8K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  lukos 
#1 ·
When form follows function right down to the smallest detail.

Following the semi-revealing teaser images from just a couple of hours ago, the McLaren Senna is now ready for its proper debut. Set to become the company’s most track-focused model with road-legal status, the new member of the Ultimate Series has been named after the legendary Brazilian Formula 1 driver Ayrton Senna da Silva. Only 500 cars will be made and each sold will benefit the Senna Foundation charity. Unsurprisingly, all of them have already found their rightful owners. Price? £750,000 ($1 million) in the United Kingdom.

Looks are subjective, but there’s no denying the McLaren Senna has a rather unusual design as a consequence of making the body as sleek as possible to boost performance. It represents the epitome of the “form follows function” principle in an attempt to reduce drag and boost cooling at the same time. From the double rear diffuser to the underfloor scoop and the large rear wing (with active aero bits), the hypercar is the end result of countless hours spent in the wind tunnel.

The see-through glass in the door panels is quite peculiar, while the carbon ceramic brakes lurking behind the wheels wrapped in Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo R tires require seven months to build per disc. Bathed in carbon fiber, the interior cabin adopts a minimalist layout, but still boasts goodies such as an infotainment system, rearview camera, 720S-esque foldable driver’s display, and a sound system. There won’t be two cars with the exact same thin carbon seats as each and every seat will be tailored to its owner.

Moving on to the engine, it’s the biturbo 4.0-liter V8 as seen in the aforementioned 720S, but in this application it has been dialed to produce 789 horsepower and 590 pound-feet (800 Newton-meters) of torque, which makes it 79 hp and 22 lb-ft (30 Nm) more powerful. Not only does it pack more punch than the 720S, but it’s also significantly lighter considering it weighs just 1,198 kilograms (2,641 pounds) without any fluids in it whereas the 720S has to carry around an extra 85 kg (187 lbs).

Performance numbers are not available at the time of writing, but you can imagine the latest gem from McLaren is going to be an absolute rocket given the technical specifications. "Savage performance" is being promised, and you should know that Ayrton Senna’s nephew, Bruno Senna, was directly involved in the development process.

Production will commence in the third quarter of 2018 after a public debut set for March at the Geneva Motor Show. A three-seat “BP23” will follow in 2019 to serve as a spiritual successor to the iconic McLaren F1. Like the Senna, the ““Hyper-GT” as it’s being described by the folks from Woking is already sold out and will be significantly more exclusive, with only 106 cars planned for production. It will also become a part of the Ultimate Series, joining the P1, track-only P1 GTR, and the Senna.
https://www.motor1.com/news/224027/mclaren-senna-revealed/

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
rear is hideous

the start button on the ceiling is cool touch, kinda jet fightery...

brake rotors take 7 months to make each??? why? how long to F1 brake rotors take to make? and how much are replacements gonna cost?

and why does anyone care about Bruno Senna's involvement? he hasn't exactly had a successful racing career... 0 podiums in his 3 years in F1 (a ride he prolly only got only cause of his name), and only 21 wins in the rest of his 13 career. I know Senna had the whole "if you think I'm fast, you should see my nephew" thing he said about him, but its obviously not true... I'd rather have seen a successful F1 driver help develop it over Bruno

#12 · (Edited)
Anyone notice the integrated roll bar on the door?
That is a gas shock to lift the door. And it is so, blue. If it were black over the carbon it wouldn't be so bad but it is not so it is awful. <- edit: just realized that it matches other blue accents on the car. Bespoke gas shock, that will be $10,000 please. And if you pick any other color than black or grey over carbon then you are trying too hard.

Also on my $hit list, the wing posts are way too strait. Should have done some form of an angle to play with the car's profile. Looks like they are holding up a park bench. Ugly.

Then there are the tail lights. Looks like they got to the rear of the car and just called it a day with two bars which is lazy design work.

Lastly, there is the glass in the doors. Of all of the stupid design ideas that I have ever seen, this is top 10. If I were to ever own one of these (which I won't because poor) I would do an adhesive skin application painted to match the car that covers that awful up.

#19 ·
In all honesty, it doesn't look anymore ridiculous than this Porsche, it's just that people's eyes have become accustomed to seeing one and not the other. Hideous wing - check, hideous grill - check, hideous colour scheme - check x1000...

#20 ·
Going to have to disagree somewhat here. Don't disagree with your criticisms of the porsche, but at the very LEAST it retains a semblance of the base 911, which is pretty much recognized as an iconic and beautiful design.
The basic body lines and aesthetic still remain. Yes, they took a handsome design and tacked on some godawful paint. Tacked on a hideous front bumper and added a park bench for a spoiler. But the Mac looks like something that was designed by a six year old.
Strip away the superfluous design elements and you are still left with UGLY. LOL. :D

#31 ·
Autocar Test - 1:03.8

1. Huracán Performante unknown 1:05.30 640 / 1556
2. Porsche 918 Spyder unknown 1:05.70 887 / 1665
3. McLaren 720S unknown 1:06.10 720 / 1428
4. McLaren P1 unknown 1:06.80 916 / 1519
5. Porsche 911 GT2 RS (991) unknown 1:07.80 700 / 1511

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.