Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, I took my calipers apart a while ago and was going to put them back together after painting them. I can't find the damn o-rings. I know these are not available through the dealer so does anyone know the size these need to be?

I already know what material they need to be of, but I am totally unsure what size is going to work. Anyone have a picture of them in a caliper so maybe I can just measure the opening and get a relative guess on how big it is going to need to be? TIA.

Alex

·
Is it turbo? Is it stick?
4,560 Posts
I know someone had found a size that worked in another thread, I'm not able to search for it right now but wanted to let you know that the info is on SF if you want to do a little digging.
But why did you split the caliper halves to paint them? I'm about to have mine powdercoated and am leaving them together intentionally so I don't have to worry about those seals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
o ring

hi i bought a soup w same problem backyard mech lost o ring went to auto zone & got a caliper for an early 90 s yota pick up & it had em then I took it back as defect cuz I know them there cant be regular rubber i dont think good luck

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks hooper!

And TROLL, I really didn't need to take them apart, but I did back then. I was going to paint the font halves RSP, and the rears black and then rebuild them since they were apart. I'm still rebuilding them, but can't put them back together now!!!!

Alex

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Hey Alex what part exactly do you need a picture of do I need to take the caliper apart?

I have them out on a table just dont know what exactly you need measurements of.

I PMed you my phone number so you can walk me through it =)

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hooper, you would need to take them apart, but so you don't have to go through that I'll try Jeff Watson first! If for some reason he doesn't then I will call you! Thanks a bunch! It might be a few days because I assume he won't be there till Monday.

Alex

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Sure no problem man. If you still it I will take them apart and get the exact measurements and take pics etc. You got my number =)

·
HAHA V8
76 Posts
But why did you split the caliper halves to paint them? I'm about to have mine powder coated and am leaving them together intentionally so I don't have to worry about those seals.
You are joking right..??? Read up on the process of powder coating before going ahead and destroying your calipers. What do you think the heat involved in the powder coating process is going to do to those o-rings inside your calipers....??

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you still have at least one o-ring, you can send it to me and I can get you as many as you need, the compound needs to be epdm for brake fluid....(or you can take dimension, inside, outside and cross section

usually calipers have either quad rings or square rings, but if you have o-rings, then they will be easier to get.....dont gent any buna, flurocarbon, silicone etc....

let me know if you need anything else...

·
4,560 Posts
The calipers will be powdercoated at 400 degrees for 20 minutes... is that temperature a concern for the o-rings? I assumed not, but I guess now is a good time to ask.
If I take them apart, is it ok to just reuse the o-rings, or would I need to get new ones to seal properly?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well you can't just get new ones really. They are completely fine to reuse, and meant to be reused.

Nismo, I know they need to be a certain material, and already looked into them. I just have no clue what size they need to be as they are gone.

Oh, does anyone know if the rears share the same? I never took those apart, but I can! I'll check today!

Alex

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you do get a bag for everything ASAP! I split mine and the rings fell out, and I didn't even notice where they went. :lol:

Alex

·
4,560 Posts
I just took mine apart... gonna bag it all now, ha.
I don't trust myself to measure them with enough precision for you to buy new ones based off of though, but I can tell you that they are... square/flat on either side. Its a circular seal, but is flat on the sides, if that makes sense. They seem the same size front and rear, but I'll have someone else verify that one...

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Why arent they available from the dealership? Are you looking to TT front caliper o-rings?

Wouldnt 04479-14140 come with them

(pic is of the rear tt caliper kit)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts