Supra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
My OS Giken is the best upgrade I have done to the car. This car is batsh*t nuts once full boost hits, no way I would think to get into it without a proper LSD for the setup.
That goes for any car.

Reactions: iwantablackRZ

· Registered
13,982 Posts
This is so horrible, like a death in the family :-(

I don't know if I'd say my OSG Super Lock or my Racelogic TC was my best ever mod but together they've helped me out a few times.

· Super Moderator
13,801 Posts
Got my OS Giken Super Lock in Eau Rouge many years ago after speaking in detail about it with @Nick 95 6sp. Liked it so much, I had one installed in Blackie and an OSG TCD LSD in my IS-F, the same one referenced by @lobuxracer earlier in this thread.

I can't imagine an APU Supra without one but, even though I'd like to think something like that could never happen to me, I'm not fooling myself and know that it could when the red mist is blinding and the car has more talent than the driver.

Admittedly, I live for the high speed stuff, but when you watch the speed at which the situation develops in the vid above, it reminds me of the times I've witnessed something breaking on the car at the track and the driver is along for the ride. Most of us, myself included, are kidding ourselves if we think we could have caught that car and prevented the tragedy that occurred.

Hopefully, this is a (painful) lesson learned for all Supra owners, so that our precious and diminishing resources (our cars) might be preserved as they should be.

Ken.

· Registered
1,452 Posts
There was a fairly detailed post with accident photos on a MKIV FB group this morning. Of course, they're down now. Car was DONEZO.
Are you talking about the one posted by Jeff Prince? I can still see it.

On a side note, pretty sure the driver was speeding. As others have pointed out, the car making the video was already close to 80 mph.

· Anthracite Club
809 Posts
Sucks all around.

Never understood the need to take someones car out for a road test. Buy/rent a dyno, be safe... everyone wins. Whenever I have left any of my cars anywhere in the past I make it very clear of what I expect and always take a picture of the odometer and make it known I would like it to read the same.

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Never understood the need to take someones car out for a road test. Buy/rent a dyno, be safe
Any time my brother's shop does anything related to the suspension, they do a road test (no speeding, just down the side street into a neighborhood that has some dips and a cul-de-sac).
If you're referring to tuning, he uses his dyno for power pulls only. 99% of customers can't afford what it would cost to do a full tune on the dyno, and it beats it up, they're wear items. When possible he'll do all the part throttle tuning with the owner driving and get a rough basemap to work off of. If the customer is ok with it, he will drive the car on errands or on the way to/from his shop for a couple of days to pull datalogs at different times of day (central TX can have some pretty extreme temp/pressure swings throughout the day) and finish 95% of the tuning. Lay down a few runs on the dyno and it's done. Time is money. He offers a much lower rate for tuning this way, as it's on his 'free time' and not 'shop time'.

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Another OS Giken user here, highly recommended. Honestly, the things that improved my Supra the most were all things you can't see or even hear for that matter. Dumped ridiculous effort into the engine, and all it really needed was all the suspension and driveline work I did.

Seriously, I can steer my car with the throttle all day long, it's a hoot.

· Registered
596 Posts
I still run a T-1 Torsen in my SC. In the past I have experienced the very low powered version (with an NA engine) of this sudden dangerous "step out and snap back" behavior in a couple of situations when the roads were wet. Thankfully nothing catastrophic ever happened. I learned to be a much smarter and more careful driver of my car after those experiences but it's always a little concern in the back of my mind.

Usually it happens due to a LOT of boosted power being put through the worm and spur gears beyond what they can handle but under the right low traction road conditions depending on your driving and how well (or not) your tires handle wet pavement you don't even need a turbo to have it sneak up on you.

I'm not pushing near enough horsepower to be at the universally accepted "safe and predictable" power stopping point for a T-1 and these days I DO run good wet capable high performance street tires... but nonetheless it is horror stories like this one and my own couple of past scares with my T-1 that are making me resolve to just bite the bullet in the near future and just upgrade to an OS Giken 1.5 Way Super Lock LSD or Kaaz 1.5-Way LSD.

That or luck out finding a much rarer 200mm T-2 Torsen and install that.

Too many people have had this same thing happen to them with their T-1 equipped cars.

· Registered
192 Posts
I don't know if I'd say my OSG Super Lock or my Racelogic TC was my best ever mod but together they've helped me out a few times.
That's interesting. I'm curious what your best mod ever is? To you. Because anything that keeps me safe/out of a ditch/the scenario in this case I consider to be the best thing you can do to ANY car - keeping it in one piece and on the road ... some would argue tires are the best mod.

· Registered
44 Posts
That's interesting. I'm curious what your best mod ever is? To you. Because anything that keeps me safe/out of a ditch/the scenario in this case I consider to be the best thing you can do to ANY car - keeping it in one piece and on the road ... some would argue tires are the best mod.
I would always say tires are the foundation of any decent build. If you read Race Car Engineering, three of the first four chapters of the book (and it's a pretty thick tome) are devoted to tires and how to read them because the rest of the stuff doesn't matter if your tires aren't delivering. Second to this is understanding how to set up the chassis to get the most out of the tires you are running. All the power in the world means nothing if you can't get it to the ground. The Giken spool is a big step towards getting power to the ground and I can honestly say it made a night and day difference on the IS F. I can also say I like it better than the Torque Vectoring Differential in the GS F. I have lots of seat time with all these platforms. Giken wins every time.

That said, it's pretty obvious the tires were not helping the driver in this incident. One thing I really don't like is summer tires on cold pavement. They're no fun at all.

· This aggression will not stand, man.
5,305 Posts
So many people are blaming the diff but honestly all I see is an irresponsible driver in an overpowered unfamiliar car with shit ass tires on cold roads. Recipe for disaster. Yeah the stock torsen is weird but don’t blame everything on it.

Having said that, I have OS Giken 2-way in stock for both 200 and 220mm 👀

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Patrick I thought the tire argument was an obvious one, but I guess not everybody has a basement full of tires like we do... I have a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires for everything but my truck. Even if you don't intend to drive a car during snow, Nitto Invos aren't a great tire for cold temperatures. Compound gets awfully hard when temps drop...

I think tire education should be mandatory for ANYONE who gets to play with cars for a living. Literally nothing else touches the ground...

5,305 Posts
Brad great point, and I think you’re taking into account the fact that people actually “regularly” change their tires. The build on this car that wrecked is so outdated, one is only to assume the tires have suffered same fate. I’ve put twice as much horesepower down on worse streets in colder weather with good tires and hooked no problem. If you don’t believe me look at Genci 63 Instagram.

Reactions: supra_1993

· Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVTi 6062
862 Posts
Brad great point, and I think you’re taking into account the fact that people actually “regularly” change their tires. The build on this car that wrecked is so outdated, one is only to assume the tires have suffered same fate. I’ve put twice as much horesepower down on worse streets in colder weather with good tires and hooked no problem. If you don’t believe me look at Genci 63 Instagram.
What performance tires would you suggest for cold weather?

5,305 Posts
What performance tires would you suggest for cold weather?
Stay home and wait for summer tyres
This is the honest good answer, but active traction control dialed in on a modern ECU with a competent tuner should keep a car with R888R and a seasoned driver on the road for a straight pull.
Again I don’t wanna play devils advocate but we have a car making 1300+Whp at the tire (18” R888R) laying down clean run after run after run against a bunch of NE Supras in freezing temps and that shit tracks dead straight.

5,305 Posts
Having said that, I don’t recommend beating on a car with that power under those conditions. We just have the recipe right and a maniac behind the wheel who can handle it.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
it doesnt even look like that fast of a pass! im on stock torsen and I have had my hairy encounters... more recently just accelerating uphill around speed limit on a slight left curve in the cold morning and my max summer tires... doesnt take much really...

· Registered
134 Posts
This is the honest good answer, but active traction control dialed in on a modern ECU with a competent tuner should keep a car with R888R and a seasoned driver on the road for a straight pull.
Again I don’t wanna play devils advocate but we have a car making 1300+Whp at the tire (18” R888R) laying down clean run after run after run against a bunch of NE Supras in freezing temps and that shit tracks dead straight.
We have shit roads and shit weather most of the year round over here, damp and cold during winter. Even with the best syvecs TC setup cars, technically it will keep you from killing yourself as quickly and you can have the car go straight, but the risk is still quite high in such conditions especially with cornering, braking etc, areas where TC isnt always going to keep you on the road.

TC is a godsend and use it on the big power stuff over here, but I've yet to come across a tyre that performs well in the cold on a big single supra in terms of mechanical grip when the conditions are less than ideal. So without a decent TC system, just tread carefully out there people. Usually a few casulaties every winter which is always sad.

· Registered
11,712 Posts
So many people are blaming the diff but honestly all I see is an irresponsible driver in an overpowered unfamiliar car with shit ass tires on cold roads. Recipe for disaster. Yeah the stock torsen is weird but don’t blame everything on it.

Having said that, I have OS Giken 2-way in stock for both 200 and 220mm 👀
Meh....same wouldn't have happened with a mustang with a 8.8 and a spool lol..

41 - 60 of 87 Posts