Supra Forums banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
I am doomed to shop labor, lacking the muscle and the skill to work on my own. And that little white one that's whispering to me, I'm not tracking the owner down. Do I have to join Reddit to see the video? Positrak kick in during a slide? I am not a Reddit member, found on youtube. That's just stupid driving.

· Registered
1,452 Posts
The shop made a statement regarding the incident.

We here at Bespoke Motorsports would like to address the event that occurred on January 9th, 2023.
We would first and foremost like to thank the first responders and the good Samaritan that assisted our employee at the time of this accident. We would also like to acknowledge that our employee was relatively unharmed and was able to walk away from the accident.

Secondly, would like to address the disinformation that is online through either social media posts, independent publications and local news station(s).It has been reported that this event was our employee taking this car out for a joy ride. This is wholly incorrect. The employee was test driving the car for the purposes of verifying recent repairs made to the vehicle. Over the course of the test drive, while driving within the legal limits of the road he was on, the accident occurred.

Third, we are cooperating with insurance and will provide any and all information to make sure that the situation is resolved. This is a lengthy process, however, we will be seeing it through to the end.

We understand that people are passionate about this car and the events that occurred. Unfortunately, with highly modified cars, there is an inherent risk associated when driving and regrettably, this test drive resulted in an accident.

We unequivocally stand by our employee and our brand. We hope that you all can do the same.

Thank you -

Bespoke Motorsports

· Super Moderator
14,039 Posts
I'd just like to point out that throwing around words like 'irresponsible' and talking smack about doing 80mph on surface roads, on Supraforums of all places, the 20+ year home of 1000+hp fucking street cars with A/C, is some pretty fantastic bullshit if not straight up hypocrisy.

It's objectively 'irresponsible' to play the games we play with these cars. Responsible is a Prius and never doing more than 5 over. We mitigate risks and do a better job of calling the wind and the weather than this guy did in most cases, sure, but we still take similar risks every time we enjoy these cars, we just do better at stacking the odds in our favor.
But regardless of the odds and making better tire choices/time and place choices/etc - we're enjoying these cars outside of the envelope of what the evening news, police reports, and Suzy Soccermom would call 'responsible'. So every single one of us should check our own bullshit at the door when it comes to this.

Yes, it sucks that it happened to a customer's car. It really sucks that the car was such a beautiful Supra. It sucks that there's a lot of contributing factors to this incident which likely include ignorance of the T1 Torsen's twitchiness, really poor tire selection, cold pavement, and a probable lack of driver skill.... spoiler alert; virtually every person on this forum has more car than they do driving skill, myself included.

So let's all take a moment to consider what it'd feel like if this shit had happened to us.

If you've never had your car scare the shit out of you unexpectedly, you're not driving it. If you were lucky enough to save it and all that got ruined was your undies, consider yourself lucky. Not everyone is so lucky. Fast car hot rod shit happens, and sometimes you roll the dice and the dice fuck you.

Sometimes you don't even know you're rolling the dice - a good friend of mine died on a motorcycle doing ~3mph UNDER the speed limit and obeying all the traffic laws, because a safe driver discount doesn't change physics when a great-grandmother in a coupe deville pulls out of a bank parking lot right in front of you.

With all that in mind, consider how absolutely fucking counterproductive it is, in every possible way, to just keep dogpiling this guy and talking hypocritical smack.
Trust and believe he's paying the fucking piper with local LE and with insurance and with the owner of the car.

So let's keep this thread on topic with the facts and relevant discussion of good lessons and takeaways for the rest of the folks wanting to avoid something like this.
Let's not turn it into another sanctimonious circle-jerk of delusional assholes pretending they're pro-level drivers and never get anything wrong. There's more than enough of that shit all over the 'socials'.

· Registered
1,452 Posts
I think most of us here have done questionable things with our cars at least once or twice. However, the key differences is that it's our car vs a employee test driving a customer's car. With that said, I don't have any skin in the game. In the end of the end it's between the shop and Supra owner; let's just hope that he doesn't get screwed over.

· Registered
346 Posts
The car business is nothing but risk management. Unfortunately this is also a business with a lot of bad actors in it and that video presents terrible optics for anyone associated with that shop. Maybe I have been around too long and been on the receiving end of too much foolishness in my time. So for me, its very easy to jump to conclusions here because the outcome in the video is so extreme. This vehicle was also someone else's pride and joy. Its also true that only the driver knows what was on his mind and what he was really trying to achieve during that test drive. He is truly blessed to walk away in the end and I am glad to see that neither he nor any one else was killed.

As for the shop owner, he must now show the car owner in this case and his other customers all of the good faith, honesty and transparency he can muster. No matter the skill level, the fundamental bond between any service and its customers is earned trust. Once the business has broken that trust, they simply don't have much left to offer.

· Super Moderator
14,039 Posts
I think most of us here have done questionable things with our cars at least once or twice. However, the key differences is that it's our car vs a employee test driving a customer's car. With that said, I don't have any skin in the game. In the end of the end it's between the shop and Supra owner; let's just hope that he doesn't get screwed over.
As the shop foreman of a two-dyno performance shop, I was that employee test driving a whole lot of wild ass cars owned by our customers. Customers signed a release, I discussed what I'd be doing on the test drive and why, roughly how many miles I'd be putting on the car, etc. A few customers asked about insurance coverage because drivers in our state are fucking nutjobs, we were happy to oblige with explanations of our coverage. One customer asked for a dashcam to be used and I obliged, and took a moment to explain to the camera what I was doing before I was doing it. It's really not rocket surgery here. But if a customer wants to pick up a car that is truly set-and-forget DONE then shakedown miles have to happen in most cases.

This wasn't some dealership porter or alignment tech sneaking a car out to beat on it - that's honestly a very different can of worms.

This was a performance car at a performance shop getting performance shop shit done to it. That means performance shop guys need to check that stuff in a lot of cases. Now, with all the witnesses and video and shit talking it's pretty obvious that the owner's got a hell of a leg to stand on already. The cops were there and we all know if 6 LEO's responded to that scene, 4 of them had redwood-sized hard-ons to ruin this guy's life any way they could, most likely by burying him in enough tickets and violations to put him on a bicycle for the next decade.

Since it was a performance shop, if the shop had their ducks in a row they've got a pretty good insurance policy with riders to cover this kind of shit in full. If they didn't, the owner has his own insurance coverage and one hell of a case against the shop, which given the footage and viral nature of this incident, I'm sure the owner's getting hit up by law offices all over the country who are salivating for an easy payoff.

The video exists, the driver basically got ejected from the car into a swarm of cops, and the whole world is ready to double-ruin his life already. The owner isn't going to get screwed over. The car might be gone forever, but he'll see a king's price paid out for its loss, of that I am certain.

· Registered
1,353 Posts
On the flip side of highly modified car needing the proper shakedown, my parent’s stock CLS 55 amg was dropped of to an Indie for maintenance and they admittedly drove it 200 miles to and back from Bay Area. That’s the kind of shenanigans I wouldn’t stand for.

· Super Moderator
14,039 Posts
On the flip side of highly modified car needing the proper shakedown, my parent’s stock CLS 55 amg was dropped of to an Indie for maintenance and they admittedly drove it 200 miles to and back from Bay Area. That’s the kind of shenanigans I wouldn’t stand for.
Perfect example of the need to communicate with your customer when they drop off the car and discuss the work package. If testing miles are required, an estimated mileage should be given and if it needs more miles that's a simple phone call. We logged mileage at drop off and logged mileage for each of our uses every week to include the tenths added just moving it around the shop as needed.
Customers getting surprised by seeing another 200 miles on the odometer at pick-up for basic maintenance is a serious violation of trust, and absolutely unacceptable. The shop manager should have been directly contacted and your parents should have demanded a significant chunk of their labor comped.

· Resident F1 Guru
4,147 Posts
Just installed a kaaz 2 way in my red car...much better feeling. Not amazing when taking slow sharp turns but worth tradeoff.
If those slow sharp turn ever become overbearing, a good fix is reducing the lock up percentage (swapping around friction discs) in the LSD and adding a friction modifier to the fluid (Ford has one we've used, can't remember the P/N).

· Administrator
11,504 Posts
If those slow sharp turn ever become overbearing, a good fix is reducing the lock up percentage (swapping around friction discs) in the LSD and adding a friction modifier to the fluid (Ford has one we've used, can't remember the P/N).
I was running the ford friction modifier but actually drained and filled with Kaaz fluid and i've noticed smoother operation.

· Registered
192 Posts
Glad everyone walked away, but I hope the owner gets a big settlement out of this...

· Registered
122 Posts
I can understand your frustration. And yes , some of us do , do questionable things with our cars . The key word is OUR…. After spending 60,000 on just the build and for someone to test it out “ Joy ride “ is crazy . That’s what the DYNO is for …. Just my opinion

· Blue Thunder
4,429 Posts
As some one who has lost control of his Supra twice in the 15 years i've owned it, I feel what this guy is going through.
Once at NOPI Nats I "PUNCHED IT" while making a left to leave the speedway...resulted in a 270 spin ! And another time during Masters Week, in Augusta, on cold tires I did a 180 spin leaving the Hooters. Each time I was under 30mph ! Me and my Supra survived both times. But I sure as hell was scared AF ! Be careful out there !

Reactions: Kamkat21

· Super Moderator
14,039 Posts
Reflecting on all the response to this incident - there's literally tens of thousands of people on social media passionately voicing how much they hate and despise this guy. A guy who accidentally destroyed a really nice Supra.

If only murderers, rapists, and drug dealers could get such a diligent doxxing mob with fires & pitchforks at the ready.

I can understand your frustration. And yes , some of us do , do questionable things with our cars . The key word is OUR…. After spending 60,000 on just the build and for someone to test it out “ Joy ride “ is crazy . That’s what the DYNO is for …. Just my opinion
Spoken like a dude who's never tuned a car or owned, operated, or maintained a dyno.

· Registered
2,425 Posts
I'll be the first to admit I've lost control of most of the cars I've owned at one point or another. I learn a lot about what not to do haha. I also have a VERY healthy respect for cold environments. Ever heard of black ice? Looks literally just like pavement, with the coefficient of friction of a lube soaked wet dog diarrhea turd on top of ball bearings. Fun stuff!

· Glad To Be Back
2,370 Posts
Spoken like a dude who's never tuned a car or owned, operated, or maintained a dyno.
Always my biggest fear . 10s of thousands sitting on the line after someone had purchased and paid for the car remotely (esp during COVID) all it takes is one thing . Really a bad situation . I hope the owner is going to be able to replace it , and fight with the insurance company. Hagerty is constantly sending me reminders to update the coverage on my 97 LE. With the Barret Jackson this week, it should be a good market indicator of what that car is worth. There’s another 97 LE hitting the chopping block with 15k miles

Reactions: Supra Dr
61 - 80 of 87 Posts