Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Street/ Strip Alternator: These alternators feature 6 phase technology, with the same internals as the 2014 Corvette, and is built completely different than the OEM Supra unit. They feature twin internal rectifiers with 12 diodes, which is especially important on the Supras, because the alternator draws it’s cooling air directly off the hotside Turbo plumbing. The 6 phase hairpin stator technology results in a 15% savings in HP, less heat, and DOUBLE the output at idle of the stock Supra alternator. The unit is completely plug and play, and also uses the stock belt. The 170 amp unit comes standard with a steel 67mm diameter pulley on it, so it is suitable for 8,000 RPM engine speed with a stock diameter crank pulley.

Show car/ High Output Alternator: Features 240 amp unit icluding all the same features listed with the street/ strip version. The 240 amp unit is shipped with a 46mm pulley on it to maximize output at idle. A larger pulley can be installed, but the 240 amp unit is more sensitive to pulley ratio than the 170 amp version, and will not make good output at idle with under driven pulley ratios. The 240 amp unit can be used in racing applications without any problems, but will not make as much output at stock idle RPM as the 170 amp unit does. The 240 is more recommended for stereo/show car applications.

More info can be found here: https://www.speedforsale.com/supraparts/mechman-alternators-mechman-high-performance-supra-alternator-p-3276.html

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
For a street driven Supra with an 8200rpm rev limiter (that is frequently "visited") would you recommend the normal pulley or the 75mm? How high can the normal pulley version be regularly revved to safely?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got the 170 amp mechman alternator installed and now my system runs much better, charging between 13.5-14.0 volts at idle. Good quality product and i highly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade to a high output alterntor.

·
Registered
807 Posts
You guys still selling these? Anyone have any feedback?

·
boost life
2,501 Posts
i just got mine 2 days ago , the 170 amp model , so yes .. i bought one for 2 reasons .. firstly , im about to switch to the dual 5 blade is300 fan setup for more effective cooling and cleaner engine bay and second , im relocating battery to the trunk so having a stronger new alternator can only help with eliminating any potential issues with charging since my oem unit is well over 13 years old..

dont forget to upgrade your alt charge cable , i bought the phr one , abit expensive , but well put together

·
Bring Da Boost!!!!
210 Posts
For a street driven Supra with an 8200rpm rev limiter (that is frequently "visited") would you recommend the normal pulley or the 75mm? How high can the normal pulley version be regularly revved to safely?
also interested in an answer to this... Also lifespan of said street driven alt

·
Stock Twins King
4,478 Posts
Ha..ha.. I just wasted my 2nd alternator in 2 years on the way to Vegas. Not sure why.....the branding on the one that went out was no where to be found. So I just got a new Bosch made unit. I have no "special" electronics, except 2 FPs. I could never wrap my arms around the need for something more than OEM. (in my case) Obviously no downside for getting a better one?

·
Inline for the win
4,716 Posts
Ha..ha.. I just wasted my 2nd alternator in 2 years on the way to Vegas. Not sure why.....the branding on the one that went out was no where to be found. So I just got a new Bosch made unit. I have no "special" electronics, except 2 FPs. I could never wrap my arms around the need for something more than OEM. (in my case) Obviously no downside for getting a better one?
So Stu, you had (2) of these Mechman fail or other Vendors upgraded products?

DP

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have this 240 amp version and i also have the extern voltage regulator for it, so i have set it at 14.7 volts cold so when the alternator is fully worm under the hood i have constant 14.2-14.3 volt,so the externt regulator is a great option for all that want to use the max of the fuelpumps ect and have a voltage that is same all time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same 240 amp ^^^ as Mojje and been in the car almost a yr and I have it running At 14.5 volts and no issues. My logs show constant voltage through 9K rpm's!

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
also interested in an answer to this... Also lifespan of said street driven alt
Sorry about missing the first question, Steve forwarded me to this question!
I would advise running the high RPM pulley. While 8200 "SHOULD" be ok on the normal pulley, I highly advise the insurance factor, and unless you have every accessory on and are powering a TV with an inverter, you will have no ill affects at low RPM.

·
Swole
380 Posts
I want one of those The 170 amp ones, seems every supra I know of battery is always going out with in 2 years and needs to be on a battery tender when parked even for a week!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pull the vanity/interior light fuse and see if your drain changes.

Thanks
I have a similar issue with the drain. I have a factory alarm but if I let it sit even for a week it drains the battery, this is interesting. Have you had this solve the problem?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts