Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Swole
380 Posts
Are the 'Mechman High Performanc​e MKIV Supra Alternator​s in stock at speed for sale?

·
Boost Junkie
12,547 Posts
I am interested in this alternator as well. Anyone else using it?

Steve

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
How much for just the 75mm pulley? I have the 170amp and it came with what looks and feels to be a billet steel? pulley. I rev to 8500, so i dont think this pulley will be good at that rpm. Or will it?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Really would like to grab one of these, but my car sees well over 8000rpms.

·
SF Contributing Member
1,554 Posts
I would like one too but there are a few questions in here that hasn't been answer. The OP posted but didn't address any of those questions.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Alright, So I got mine installed today, and have 1 question. In the box there is a list of instructions on how to install the alternator. One of the directions is to make a ground cable of equal gauging and connect it from the mounting point of the alt to the battery negative side. Id Like to know if that is REALLY a necessity or if I can get away without running it to the battery, and just ground it to the car. My battery is in the back of the car, so its a little bit of a pain in the ass to run ANOTHER larger gauged wire to the rear.

Also, 75mm pulley, still wanting to know if it can be sold and for how much?

Thanks

1,442 Posts
I just talked with someone at Mechman today. Got some good info. Billet-Tech who apparently is Mechman offers a 10yr warranty through their store, which is a big deal considering all the failures with aftermarket alternators. I would think SpeedforSale offers this too. Pulley choices are between a 63mm or a 75mm. The 63mm pulley will have more output at idle but 8000rpm is the limit. FYI, the 10yr warranty does not cover damage from over revving the alternator, which they said they'll be able to tell once inspected.

Airhead04: If its the standard cast cover, the alternator is already grounded to the block when mounted to the bracket. A heavier gauge block ground cable is advisable though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I bought one of these high output alternators from Mechman a couple years ago and its rock solid. It did come with the larger pulley, but I had to put the OEM on it because the serp belt didn't fit. I'd like to put the Mechman pulley on it, but do you know what serp belt to buy so it will fit?

·
4,932 Posts
Alright, So I got mine installed today, and have 1 question. In the box there is a list of instructions on how to install the alternator. One of the directions is to make a ground cable of equal gauging and connect it from the mounting point of the alt to the battery negative side. Id Like to know if that is REALLY a necessity or if I can get away without running it to the battery, and just ground it to the car. My battery is in the back of the car, so its a little bit of a pain in the ass to run ANOTHER larger gauged wire to the rear.

Also, 75mm pulley, still wanting to know if it can be sold and for how much?

Thanks
Not necessary, as bluesteel said it grounds itself through the mounting bracket to the block, and you should have a ground cable running from the block to the body (which eventually goes back to the battery).

That being said, running a cable from one of the alternator mounting bolts to the body (not the block, and not the battery) is a good idea and depending on what is ceramic coated or how bad rust/oxidation is on your car you'll notice a difference, or be able to measure a difference.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Not necessary, as bluesteel said it grounds itself through the mounting bracket to the block, and you should have a ground cable running from the block to the body (which eventually goes back to the battery).

That being said, running a cable from one of the alternator mounting bolts to the body (not the block, and not the battery) is a good idea and depending on what is ceramic coated or how bad rust/oxidation is on your car you'll notice a difference, or be able to measure a difference.
Thanks SideWinder, I have already ran the wire. But Its going to be removed shortly as I cant stand having that wire like that haha. Ill make a small one and run it to the body.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can anybody confirm that the plug for the harness on the rear of the mechman alternators is oval and not circular?

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
My 240a is oval, not circular.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Mine worked for years until the fab shop I left my car at decided it needed some metal shavings in it (170amp). I have now acquired another one (240amp), but have yet to run it. As far as customer service goes, they called me to confirm stuff before building it. So I would say that is pretty good customer service/support. Ask me rev limit etc. I know of at least 3 guys running these alts with no issues also.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,343 Posts
I run the 240 amp. It’s a great product. Zero voltage issues. I upgraded all the wiring (2/0) at the same time and switched to an Odyssey PC1200 battery. I recommend this setup to everyone.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,343 Posts
Thanks for the update , hopefully they have a black friday sale
Driftmotion has them for $399. I think that's a pretty decent deal.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts