Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever tried this stuff on their headlights for a quick job? I'm not looking for professional results or anything, it's just that my dad's '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee had to have one headlight replaced as part of repairs from an accident but the other one does not match now because it's covered in scratches. I just needed something to clear up the scratches/haziness a little to try and get the headlights a little closer. I don't need perfection. So has anyone tried Meguiar's plastic polish and liked what it did?

·
Registered
230 Posts
yeah I think it works pretty well. It may still fall short of making them look exactly like the new ones, but the old lights will look clearer then they do now. The only thing i find is that mine will sometimes get a little haze unless i really buff the polish of good.

also make sure that the lights are cold when your do it (don't do it right after they were sitting in the sun for a while)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
94suprattmd said:
yeah I think it works pretty well. It may still fall short of making them look exactly like the new ones, but the old lights will look clearer then they do now. The only thing i find is that mine will sometimes get a little haze unless i really buff the polish of good.

also make sure that the lights are cold when your do it (don't do it right after they were sitting in the sun for a while)
Ehh...what do you use to buff it? I really don't have a power buffer or anything...this would all have to be done by hand. Is that good enough? I don't want the headlights to end up hazy...

G

·
Sorry to go against the grade, but I do Supra headlights all the time. Meguiar's plastic polish and conditioner has to be their first peice of crap product of theirs that I've used.

If you want to clear them up, use 3m FINE CUT RUBBING COMPOUND. It comes in a bottle and is liquid form. I ordered mine directly from 3m because I think they give free shipping. This brings out tiny scratches and really leaves the lights looking clearer. Easy to use, and use along with an old t-shirt for application and buffing. Apply it on, and rub it in till it dries and rubs out. Bout two reps of this over the light should leave your lights looking better.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,473 Posts
I have done many sets of headlights, and enjoyed the most success with Meg's #83 followed by Meg's #80, both applied via a PC. These are designed for automotive paint, yet I have had the best results with these versus plastic polishes. You also can use these on your paint, so you are killing 2 birds with one stone. My .02 cents.. :)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing those opinions before I got around to doing it guys. I had two choices (I bought the stuff at Advance)...the Meguiar's and the 3M stuff that Mark mentioned. However the guy working there reccomended the Meguiar's more? I really wanted Novus stuff, and he even agreed with me that it's best, but they didn't have any and nor did any other place I looked. So you're saying the 3M stuff is better?

G

·
Mike (MdSuperstar) and I agree that car paint polishes like the 3m and meguiar's work just as well as the novus polishes. I wouldn't worry much about them.

Anyone that works at advance normally will recommend what they carry because they haven's tried anything else.

It's your call, but both Mike and I use paint polishers/compounds for our work, and we do a lot of work on headlights. ;)

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,473 Posts
Tatanko said:
Well then I may go back to Advance and look for the 3M stuff again. Thanks guys.
Yup, Mark and I are headlight modding madmen.... Muahahaha. :run: :eek3:

·
Registered
594 Posts
i honestly had meguiars products....if you want some good polish for plastic here's what you use...

sand down the plastic until you have a smooth surface down to a 2500 grit...then use the NOVUS 1-2-3 step...then top it off with plexus plastic polish and the headlights will look like glass...i've done many headlights and that is my proven system...good luck

·
Registered
499 Posts
i just painted and polished my headlight with maguiar's.

first try polishing with my hand=Crap

Second try with the buffer =perfect

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, again, this doesn't need to be a professional looking job here. It just needs to look better than it is now. And right now you can see scratches even in poor lighting, all over the housing. I do not want to have to go back out and get a buffer, I do not want to have to sand anything, I just need a quick fix that will make it look a little nicer. It's for my dad's Grand Cherokee, not a Supra here guys :p

G

·
Like I said, for a quick and easy buffing by hand and t-shirt, use the 3m fine cut. You can be done them in 15 minutes if they're small.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
casper said:
even better then...you get to practice on your dad's lights and no mess up your supra light :)
I don't have a Supra :sadance: ...yet

MarksSupra33 said:
Like I said, for a quick and easy buffing by hand and t-shirt, use the 3m fine cut. You can be done them in 15 minutes if they're small.
Ahhh the confusion for me lol...I think I'll just stick with what you're saying, Mark.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts