Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i melted a piston in the #5 cylinder and it has scared up the cylinder walls so im going to have to get it bored out and get some aftermarket pistons and i was wondering what are the best to get and is it best to go with the smallest bore i have to do or go like 30 over , im puting a sp63 and i want it all to be streetable . thanks for the info

·
Registered
707 Posts
Consider getting a new short block for ~$2k from Jay Marks. It is by far the easiest and safest thing to do and may end up saving you some headache in the future. It is what I would do since your future power needs of the SP63 will be well within the limits of the stock bottom end.

Or, since Toyota only makes one size piston (stock size,)you can either buy six aftermarket ones the next size bigger and have the block bored, or have the #5 cylinder reseleved and buy one stock piston.

Since melting your #5 piston sent metal particals through out your block you must change rod and main bearing and oil pump and cooler anyway. If you go this route this needs to be done by a very good machince shop since Toyota offers 6 different rod bearings for the supra. I can not stress this last point enough.

Good luck,
Bill P

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agreed, there is nothing worse than taking the cheap way out if you are dealing with this kind of power. It is possible to do it the way you describe don't get me wrong I drive a DSM and we like to go the cheap route many many a time, but when dealing with something like this I would just go the safe route.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree with getting the new shortblock. That's the route I went with. Calculate all the machine shop and new parts cost and it will work out to about as much as the $2k shortblock anyway...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts