Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a radiator similar to these NASCAR units… Is there any benefit to a water/oil cooler vs. air/oil cooler? Granted packaging is much easier, the oil can only be as cool as the water temp (and efficiency…) but I don’t believe that would be a problem in regard to the oil. Any thoughts on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7972921576&category=33602&sspagename=WDVW

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
IMO you should get an air to oil cooler so there isn't a heat exchange between your oil and coolant. If you get a good sized cooler and mount it in a good spot your should see both lower oil and coolant temps.

·
Oh Snaps
549 Posts
Well the advantage to a heat exchanger, is when you fire up the car from the start the coolant fluid warms up fairly quickly so it also gets the oil up to opperating temps, and then from then on they keep each other in equilibrium. Do you need one? I dont know, like MTR said a well placed air to oil cooler will do quick nicely. Then again, I have a friend of mine with a datsun 510 with a VG30 in it, and he swears by his heat exchanger.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ditto with MTR

An oil to water heat exchanger just puts the heat back into the engine

·
Registered
526 Posts
Actually, oil/water coolers are the prefered solution to oil cooling if they are available. In any race series where they are allowed, you won't see any air/oil coolers. Water transfers heat much more efficiently than air, and a very small cooler in the "cool" tank of the radiator is more effective than even a very big oil/air unit, they result in more stable oil temps, and have the benefit of warming the oil up faster as well. I'd have one of my car if somebody made one (I don't know of anybody that does).

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eric said:
Actually, oil/water coolers are the prefered solution to oil cooling if they are available. In any race series where they are allowed, you won't see any air/oil coolers. Water transfers heat much more efficiently than air, and a very small cooler in the "cool" tank of the radiator is more effective than even a very big oil/air unit, they result in more stable oil temps, and have the benefit of warming the oil up faster as well. I'd have one of my car if somebody made one (I don't know of anybody that does).

Great news... I figured they are utilized for a reason in NASCAR... My front end will be ducted in, so there will be plenty of air to keep the water temp in check.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Eric Barnett said:
Great news... I figured they are utilized for a reason in NASCAR... My front end will be ducted in, so there will be plenty of air to keep the water temp in check.
I thought NASCAR required air/oil coolers? I know they did as of a few years ago, but I'm not up on their rules.

Nice place to live BTW. I lived in Tally for 4 years. I don't miss the humidity, but I miss the Panhandle beaches.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
Eric said:
Yea i totally agree with you there but there is one main difference between those nascars, ect that use them and our supras. Their radiators get plenty of flow, and aren't blocked by huge intercoolers, thus I would imagine they can handle the increased temps from the oil water exchange much better. No race proven results just speculation. :D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, its looking like I will l have 54 in^2 of frontal area of fresh air devoted solely to the radiator. That would be on top of the post flow from 72 in^2 opening through a 24X8X3.5 inch top->bottom flow intercooler...This is all fuzzy math but pretty close (don’t have the bumper at the house). Hopefully that will offer plenty of air at speed. If not, the plan can easily be revised. With this setup, there would be no need to run an oil thermostat correct?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Fluidyne makes a couple.

Fluidyne Therm-Hx" "Parallel Flow" Heat Exchangers

Fluidyne Therm-Hx" "Parallel Flow" Heat Exchangers are the "Original" new innovation in Engine Oil Cooling.

The DB-30500 all-aluminum unit is track tested and is the choice of thousands of teams in all forms of racing including off-road, dirt track, short track and super speedway.

The compact design of the DB-30500 provides a significant performance advantage for alcohol burning midgets, sprints and stock cars as oil coolers will preheat and stabilize the engine oil.

The Therm-Hx" unit needs no air to cool your oil, just a portion of the hot water returning to the radiator and can be mounted in almost any axis for maximum versatility!

DB-30500 Specfications:

* 14 3/4" x 6 1/4" x 4 1/2"
* 80,000 BTU
* AN-12 oil fittings
* 3/4" NPT water fittings
* 1.0 qt. capacity
* 9 1/2 lbs dry weight

DB-30501 Specfications:

* 9" x 5 3/8" x 6 3/8"
* 60,000 BTU
* AN-12 oil fittings
* 3/4" NPT water fittings