Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it be fine to replace my headgasket with a metal one and use the stock studs? I searched and couldnt find an answer, Thanks

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
you can do it, but its only 100 bucks for a little extra insurance.
I would suggest using the arp headstuds.

If you can't spring for the extra 100usd, try getting new toyota bolts at least

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Don't reuse your stock bolts, you'll want to get new ones no matter what, so you might as well spring for some ARP bolts or studs, especially if you want to go with a MHG. You'll be spending more for machining, etc anyways, don't cheap out on bolts/studs. :)

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
A bolt is made to stretch a given amount, this is where it gets it's clamping force. To do a metal head gasket properly it needs to be torqued 75-80 ft. lbs. The stock head bolts were not designed for this value. Also, I think alot of people have failures for 2 other significant reasons. They don't chase out the thread holes before installing a new head gasket, and they don't use the ARP Molley Lube. Both of these factors can greatly alter the true torque readings.

According to ARP, 85lbs. with their Molley Lube is equal to 100lbs. using motor oil.
I did my buddies head gasket a few months ago and it took me 3 hours to chase the threads, they were full of crud and dirt.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Tech/TechWhy.html

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
Rajunz said:
A bolt is made to stretch a given amount, this is where it gets it's clamping force. To do a metal head gasket properly it needs to be torqued 75-80 ft. lbs. The stock head bolts were not designed for this value.....
Why do the OEM head bolts always get kicked around?

Per Reg R's metallurgy analysis/commentary:
"The metals used in the head bolts of the 7M & 2JZ engines are identical in
metallurgy +/- manufacturing S.P.C. This is a good material, it stretches
smoothly in the plastic region of the curve before it snaps."

"My calculations show that the 7M head bolts when torqued to the factory
specifications of 52 to 58 ft. lbs. is in very low tension related to the
bolts actual yield curve. Calculations based on my test data show torque
values for the 7M head bolt could be as high as 68 ft. lbs.s to 82 ft. lbs.
without putting the bolt into the plastic region."
I torqued my OEM head bolts at 72 ft/lbs on HK$ MHG ~70K miles ago, & the engine still runs like gangbusters.

Take care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts