Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
Car: 1993 JDM MKIV 2JZGTE V160
I recently replaced my valve stem seals according to many videos and followed the TSRM for torque sequence on cams. Upon getting the car all back together i started it up and it was running well for a minute or two then it had a minor hiccup at idle and I heard a slight noise, didn't think much of it as it was only once. I started to put coolant back in the radiator and I was lightly revving the car to help burp the system when the noise coming from what I thought was the intake side get louder. I shut the car off immediately. I then started it back up to get this quick video. At this point I assumed I put one of the buckets back in the wrong spot..well nope. I have it back apart without the cams pulled and checked the lash 3 times to verify everything is good. All are within spec, if anything the exhaust cylinder 6 is .009 so slightly tight but that would have been how it was prior to me replacing seals. Cams, were put back in with permatex ultra slick if that makes a difference.
I am about to pull the cams again and check all the springs, keepers and retainers but thought I would post this before doing that incase anyone else has any ideas while I have it apart.

Here is the video of it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Are you sure the valve stem seals are tight? Maybe one of them isn't pressed in enough and came loose.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did press them all on by hand with a tool to push them on and made sure they were on to the best I could. I can take the spring off to check just to be sure.

I just pulled the cams off and noticed this on the bottom of I6 cam cap. Probably unrelated but taking it to a machine shop tomorrow for them to have a look. Anyone know? Not sure if it was like this before or not.

·
Boost Junkie
12,693 Posts
Did you drop something inside the cyl head around the cams? It sounds like something is bouncing around in there.

STeve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you drop something inside the cyl head around the cams? It sounds like something is bouncing around in there.

STeve
I thought the same thing. I’ve verified all the springs, retainers, shims, buckets and keepers are accounted for and in their positions. I even put a magnet throughout the head to make sure I didn’t drop anything

·
Registered
748 Posts
Glad you found the issue!
I vacuumed around the spark plug area before taking them out, just in case something fell in.

Casper

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you found the issue!
I vacuumed around the spark plug area before taking them out, just in case something fell in.

Casper
That’s very smart, I will be doing that before final assembly and cleaning the area thoroughly. Something that should have been done before. Live and learn. Definitely won’t do it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts