Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, car just got the entire fuel system redone, freshly rebuilt turbo put in w/ feed line. Drove the car around with 10w40 for about 120 miles... oil was drained to take care of an oil pan leak (This appeared last season). Metal shavings were found inside the oil. Oil had a glimmer to it, you could definitely notice when the sun hit it.

Head is built, bottom end is unopened stock 80k miles.
It was pushing 600whp last year. It was just about to hit the dyno and see over 700whp on e85 tune.

So if metal shavings have appeared out of no where.. could that simply be the rod bearing starting give out, or could there be another culprit? It also has a new magnetic drain plug and metal shavings were on that too. So I plan on putting in new oil, drive the car around lightly for a day, drain it again and see what is found.

I did so much other work to the car within the last few months and wasn't planning to do the bottom end till end of this year during winter. So I guess it's completely unsafe to run the motor if oil shavings appear in the next test?

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
Did you over heat or change cams? Send your oil in for analyzing at Blackstone. Either way, I would flush everything very VERY well, but it may be too late anyway. I know when my buddy had metal shavings it was because his Cam's where not installed right and cause some ware. Eventually, it killed his rods bearings as well because it was like sand paper.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Did you over heat or change cams? Send your oil in for analyzing at Blackstone. Either way, I would flush everything very VERY well, but it may be too late anyway. I know when my buddy had metal shavings it was because his Cam's where not installed right and cause some ware. Eventually, it killed his rods bearings as well because it was like sand paper.
This...

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
DO NOT run the engine until you have thoroughly cleaned it, identified and resolved the issue. +1 on the cams. It's possible, especially considering you have had head work done. Otherwise it's bearing material. Every time I have had metal shavings in the oil it was from bearings and required a bottom end rebuild.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It must be a Canada thing... guys I also just found metal shavings in my oil. 645whp, built head, stock long black, 90k miles (82k miles stock motor, 8k miles single turbo). I've had the same setup for 2 years now. How come it seems like almost everyone pushes these well above 700whp for many years, and its usually the rod that bends before anything else? kind of choked

·
Registered
495 Posts
They do get stressed a lot more nowadays due to increased torque at low rpm. I Was curious though how the w58 is surviving at 750whp?

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
According to sp the rods are really the weak point of the 2jz followed by the main caps. (And of course the auto trans if we're throwing that in) as we are seeing they like to bend. I really want to go titanium when I do my build. Bye bye big end rod stresses (relatively speaking of course)

·
Registered
481 Posts
you will definitely spin a rod bearing or bend your rods before the main caps.. as discussed in the other thread, main caps should be fine as long as you have arp head studs.. In regards to the thread topic, finding shavings in oil is a good thing in my opinion, better you find than that spin a rod bearing or worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts