Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have previously ran water injection and have had some really outstanding results. I decided to upgrade to a newer system and run Meth for additional cooling and added octane for a bump in power.

I just finished installing the new meth/water injection system. Which works really well so far , but I've only tested it with distilled water ( checking for leaks or other problems before adding meth). It hit me though that the RLTC works by cutting the injector pulse so the spark fires in a "dead" cylinder, there by decreasing power to gain traction. With the addition of Meth ( being a fuel) coming into the cylinders would this produce a lean condition when the RLTC was cutting the pulse to the fuel injectors? I'm not sure how much or in what ratio to water the Meth would start causing problems like a lean burn or something worse. If need be I can turn off the RLTC when running Meth, but I'm not sure I'd have to. Any thoughts?

· Registered
1,585 Posts
I have previously ran water injection and have had some really outstanding results. I decided to upgrade to a newer system and run Meth for additional cooling and added octane for a bump in power.

I just finished installing the new meth/water injection system. Which works really well so far , but I've only tested it with distilled water ( checking for leaks or other problems before adding meth). It hit me though that the RLTC works by cutting the injector pulse so the spark fires in a "dead" cylinder, there by decreasing power to gain traction. With the addition of Meth ( being a fuel) coming into the cylinders would this produce a lean condition when the RLTC was cutting the pulse to the fuel injectors? I'm not sure how much or in what ratio to water the Meth would start causing problems like a lean burn or something worse. If need be I can turn off the RLTC when running Meth, but I'm not sure I'd have to. Any thoughts?
I've had a meth kit (100% meth) on my turbo IS300 for 2 years now with the Racelogic and have not had an issue to date with it. Not saying that your experience will be the same, just giving you my first hand experience.

Tim

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had a meth kit (100% meth) on my turbo IS300 for 2 years now with the Racelogic and have not had an issue to date with it. Not saying that your experience will be the same, just giving you my first hand experience.

Tim
What ratio are you running in regards to meth/water? I'm running a 50/50 (by weight) currently. Appreciate the reply :)

· Garage Queen Club
3,472 Posts
Anyone else care to comment on this? I'm considering installing my old RLTC but just realized the same things as the OP. I'm spraying in quite a bit, probably enough to cause some type of burn even without fuel.

The RLTC manual's last page shows there is a "spark cutout" version or the RLTC.

--- Copied from RLTC Yahoo Groups:-------------------------------------------------

Then I suspect the same is true when using a "wet" shot of nitrous where the fuel for the nitrous is supplied by an auxiliary "injector" not under the control of the RLTC. In both the meth and nitrous cases, the resulting mixture will be much leaner than stoichiometric.

Mike

At 07:05 AM 2/18/04 -0800, you wrote:

From talking with Racelogics technical dept;

Without the petrol the meth/air mix will not ignite.

HTH some.

Best regards,

Jeremy Williams

Matrix Engineering Inc.

4060 SW Macadam Ave.

Portland, OR 97239

503.443.1141 Tech

503.443.1142 Fax

888.249.0013 Orders

[email protected]

www.matrixengineering.cc

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 9:16 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [RLTC] Re: Methanol Injection and RLTC

Jeremy,

The question of primary concearn is not just whether detonation will occur, it's whether the lean
methanol mixture will be ignited by the spark. I don't think it's that
different than the similar issue when nitrous and fuel (for the nitrous)
are injected before the throttle body or using "port injection" in the manifold

Mike

At 08:36 AM 2/16/04 -0800, you wrote:
>Here is what Racelogic said;
>
>"Our take on the methanol issue is that detonation will not occur if the
>petrol is cut.
>
>Meth is used to increase the octane of a mixture, it is used exactly for the
>reason that it doesn't pre-ignite easily, and runs cool. It would therefore
>just safely pass through the exhaust as a cold un-burnt mixture."
>
>HTH.
>Best regards,
>
>Jeremy Williams
>Matrix Engineering Inc.
>4060 SW Macadam Ave.
>Portland, OR 97239
>503.443.1141 Tech
>503.443.1142 Fax
>888.249.0013 Orders
>[email protected]
>www.matrixengineering.cc
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Jeremy Ho [mailto:[email protected]]
>Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 11:19 AM
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: [RLTC] Re: Methanol Injection and RLTC
>
>We can probably only guess what would happen. With a spark cut the
>methanol will probably exit into the intake manifold and probably
>just end up being being a gentle blue flame?
>
>And I would think if it causes engine damage it may take a while of
>repeated use of the RLTC system to show up.
>
>Even if there is spark I wonder if it will ignite since the stoich
>for methanol is about 6:1. The mixture of methanol in question is
>probably far too lean.
>
>--- In [email protected], Mike <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Jeremy,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.