Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have derek's kit and i dont have a check valve currently. Im wondering since the pump is pretty much even with the windshield reservoir whether I need a check valve in the system or if I will be fine without one.

Also what if I put the feed hose from the windshield reservoir and make it have a U shape so that if it leaks out of the tank it collects in the U.

thanks ryan

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
As long as you locate the nozzle higher than the pump/washer tank you wont have any problems. If you locate it lower it will fill up your intercooler piping :furious:

Lawrence

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The nozzle goes into the throttle body, so its a lot higher than the pump/tank. If the meth/water does leak through (hypothetically) is there enough vacuum, on startup to pull it through the nozzle?

I have the hobbs pressure switch in my kit, not sure which solenoid you mean. I am using dereks high pressure pump.
thanks

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Spoolin Turbo said:
The nozzle goes into the throttle body, so its a lot higher than the pump/tank. If the meth/water does leak through (hypothetically) is there enough vacuum, on startup to pull it through the nozzle?

When i fill the washer tank up and drive around all day the level stays the same as long as I dont boost it. So I would say that the vacume will not pull the meth out as I dont notice it at all. When I first installed the kit I wanted to keep it not noticeable and mounted the nozzle on the lower intercooler pipe. Well it emptied the washer tank into the intercooler piping. Learned the hard way.

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
For the 25 or 30 bucks it costs, wouldn't it just be better to get one and not have to ever worry about it? I could see if it cost a lot of money, but in this case the cost isn't much at all.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
why the hell would you use a check valve. if the system is installed correctly there is no need for one. IE: nozzle at the highest point, pump at the lowest point, tank in the middle

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I went by a friends place, when we used the check valve from his kit and it interferred a bit with the flow. Instead of spraying nicely it was a little more watery than misty (droplets more than misting). Without the check valve it was mint ( I use a BETE 1/8 thread WL 1/2 nozzle which flows [email protected] converted to GPH is 45gph, the M15 nozzle flows [email protected] for comparison) Wondering now if my nozzle is TOO damn big.

Also with further testing, since I had the pump and winshield res out of the car i decided to see what would happen.
When I connected the hose from the res to the pump and held the pump straight down (tank higher than pump) the water leaked through and came out the other end of the pump at a steady (not crazy) pace.
When the pump was side by side with the windshield res it did not leak out in any way.

The only way I see the system leaking through is if the nozzle and pump are BOTH lower than the tank and the fluid can easily flow through to the nozzle, then I believe upon startup the car could hydrolock.

Having the nozzle straight up in the throttle body and having a decent sized nozzle, I believe it would take a lot more than that to hydrolock the car (i use a 80meth/20water mix). So having the pump equal or higher than the tank you will be fine.

Just sharing my findings.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
I would highly recommend using the check valve. I don't know where you are putting the valve but I put mine in right at the intercooler pipe where the nozzle is.

I have this one http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=QBRCV01

I have a rear mounted tank and It can,if you park on a hill, be higher than the nozzle. I lost a motor because the shop I let do some work to my car hydrolocked my motor and thought the battery was dead and tried to pop start it with a cylinder full of meth and water. Cracked the #6 piston ring.

The valve also will keep pressure from going bad through the line and the methanol is right there in the line ready to go!

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
The check valve will hurt your flow and eat up your pressure. I do however think you need some provision. What about when the tank gets hot??? I used to race personal watercraft and had far from a stock jetski. After monkeying with the fuel system, on hot days the system would pressurize and leak anywhere it could. If you don't want to put in a check valve, then wire in an external solenoid valve like this one:

they can be ordered from: http://water.lovehorsepower.com/WI_order.htm
or mcmaster-carr.com

This is what I am going to do.

Brandon

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
You would just wire one of these in parallel with the pump. Basicly it will close the line after the pump. When the pump is energized, the solenoid (assuming you purchase normally closed) will open and let the meth flow. This will cause the least amount of resistance in your lines. I used these when I did industrial automation all of the time. They work like a charm.

Brandon

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
and as the guy at cooling mist explained to me if the solenoid fails then so could your motor!!! If you really think it messes with the flow that much then just leave it alone and don't put anything inline. I lost a motor and don't want to see anyone else on this forum have to go though what I did. It sucked!!

The only good way would be use a solenoid wired to open when ignition was turned to on and have a pressure sensor inline to make sure pressure is getting up to the nozzle and if not send a signal to say an AEM to switch to a different map. If the solenoid failed then the Aem would save your ass.

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
I am actually searching for a solenoid valve that will work with meth and has a sensor on it to verify its position. Not rocket science, but hard to find. So basicly you can verify wheather it is closed or open (physically) and take provisions from there.

B

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
even if it has a sensor the only way to tell is if you have an external pressure gague. I think the only way you are going to get away with that is a fuel pressure gauge or something. (electric of crouse)

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
I can't find derek's site has he changed the URL?

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
ZaZZn said:
I can't find derek's site has he changed the URL?
he works for torquefreaks now and has a yahoo.com group chat forum only.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts