Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98.5% Methanol vs import fuel ?

Also can i use nos with Methanol? :scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
VP import is a derivative of ico-octane (gasoline) as is C16, or pump gas. Methanol is a totally different substance with a totally different elemental makeup, stoichiometric A/F ratio (~6.7:1), and heat of vaporization.

The fact that Methanol and VP import are such different chemicals makes them difficult to compare.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
pont of the thread.....if you have to ask this question.....you probably shouldnt use ether
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
LOL

VP Import is a very good gasoline , but it costs a lot.

Methanol is a different thing , but makes more POWER. Plus you can't use it in a gasoline ENGINE , Unless you change your Fuel SET UP ( Pay Money ) ...

There is nothing wrong in using Nitros with METHANOL , you can use Nitros with PUMP gas TOO :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
David_rg79 said:
pont of the thread.....if you have to ask this question.....you probably shouldnt use ether

I disagree. Before you setup a car for either you should find out the pros and cons. Methanol and VP Import are both good for much more power than C16 and if you are going to surpass c16's ability you need to know which you are going to run BEFORE you buy parts and setup the car. Proof or this is how difficult it would have been for [email protected] to convert to gas for the TX2K6 to run unlimited. Also even though meth uses approx 2x the fuel for the same power it is MUCH less expensive per gallon than VP Import even after considering the 2x consumption rate. I am also curious on how well behaved a meth powered car is on the street.


Later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
becuse i heard Matt Scranton say that vp import was so good that it was not allowed to use in nhra pro rwd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
T51R SPL BB said:
LOL

VP Import is a very good gasoline , but it costs a lot.

Methanol is a different thing , but makes more POWER. Plus you can't use it in a gasoline ENGINE , Unless you change your Fuel SET UP ( Pay Money ) ...

There is nothing wrong in using Nitros with METHANOL , you can use Nitros with PUMP gas TOO :)

Methanol does not make more power, it makes much LESS power per unit of fuel than VP Import, but requires TWICE as much fueling capability. The benefits gained with Methanol are the extremely high octane, and the cooling effect. This allows you to run sans intercooler(if so chosen), and create tons of exhaust energy... and it is CHEAPPPPP. You can get over 6 gallons of Methanol for the price of one gallon of VP Import. Methanol is good stuff; however, it is not a petroleum based fuel... so oil contamination is also an issue.

Jsutin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
Batty200 said:
Proof or this is how difficult it would have been for [email protected] to convert to gas for the TX2K6 to run unlimited. I am also curious on how well behaved a meth powered car is on the street.


Later

Actually... to convert from alcohol to gas is not that hard to do, to go from gas to methanol is a PITA...

You would not want to run a methanol powered car on the street. As I posted above, methanol is not a petroleum based fuel, it is alcohol. Not good for a loose engine as it has a tendency to wash away petroleum ;)

Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
justinn5 said:
Actually... to convert from alcohol to gas is not that hard to do, to go from gas to methanol is a PITA...

You would not want to run a methanol powered car on the street. As I posted above, methanol is not a petroleum based fuel, it is alcohol. Not good for a loose engine as it has a tendency to wash away petroleum ;)

Justin
I have always been told that most alcohol washing occured when a car was cold, thats why I have heard some alcohol powered cars start and warm up on gas then switch to alcohol.

My plan is a dual fuel setup with pump gas to a certain point then switch over to meth/pumpgas combo up to max power. Basically a duel fuel setup not just meth injection. I would run a second complete fuel system. Do you know how quickly a meth car can contaminate oil when it is gas up til say 20-25psi then meth/gas combo above that?

Also I just meant it was difficult because the idle with huge meth injectors and a complete retune of the car would make the meth to gas conversion difficult. As far as parts I agree meth -> gas is easier. I would prob change the injectors though and retune the whole thing. Still a pain just not AS bad.

Later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
:werd:

Use alcohol injection, not run straight methonal. You can use pump gas and the injection and get smiliar results to race gas. Or you can go 100 unleaded with the meth injection which should be great as well.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top