Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Trying to figure out how to check the carrier bearing to see if it's ok.. I saw the clearences that the TSRM said but is there a better way?

I'm trying to figure out if it's my half shafts or my drive shafts.

I replaced my subframe with new poly mounts thinking that it was the cracked Subframe.

It's better but there is still a massive vibration still after 130KPH

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
what shape are your wheeles / tires in, alignment? I dont get why a drive shaft would make a vibration on only at a certian speed, when it spins according to rpm not vehicle speed. I would think that the vibration would be felt at lower speed at the same rpm, but you are more knowlegable than me

~scott

·
Registered
287 Posts
It’s hard to explain but all you have to do is climb underneath the car grab the drive shaft close to the centre bearing on each side and try to move it up and down. It should be fairly stiff and hard to move, if it flops around easily then it should more than likely be replaced. I’m not sure about this but I don’t think you should be able to move it more than a ¼ “ to ½ “ a driveline shop could tell you best.

I had the same problem with both my 86.5 and 89, however even after replacing the centre bearing on the 86.5 I encountered another problem. With the keen eye of a guy from IWE he noticed that the rear shaft was twisted. It was hard to notice at first but if you look closely at the pics you’ll see that the yokes are no longer 90 degrees from each other. This caused the rear shaft to be out of phase.

The shaft is made in 2 pieces, one slides into the other with yokes welded onto each of the separate tubes, the only thing holding the 2 together is a layer of rubber, I believe to reduce noise and or vibration. This is a pic of the shaft after the yokes has been cut off, you can see the rubber in-between the two tubes

I had the driveline shop make me a new solid rear shaft and it cured the problem.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hrmm i heard about my friend saying that his DS twisted but i wasn't aware of how to check.

My carrier makes a noise going up and down and it dose move a fair bit but didn't seem like it was any more then my firends car........

I'll check out if it's twisted thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts