Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can i turn down my boost? i know with a boost controller but i can't afford one, i know it's an odd question, but i only have full 3" turbo back exhaust and a k&n drop-in and i'm hitting 13psi at times, and i hate fuel cut!!!! I don't have any shims on the wastegate or anything. Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i have an aftermarket boost gauge, i also have an apexi bov, but i ddon't think it would make a difference, also while i'm at it, other mods i don't think would make a difference, lightened flywheel, stage 3 clutch, 4.30lsd. I will say that it did this before too, i used to have a three inch turbo back last year, and it was hitting 13 if i lay it down in the middle of a gear or whenever i shift from first to second and the tires break loose, it's really annoying and i know most people like to up the boost but i don't have the money to do it safely yet and i don't want to hurt my engine or turbo. i will say that the muther is fast though, when i'm not having the car shut off.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could i get one of the cheapy 10.50 boost controllers off of ebay, or are those even worth the ten dollors?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cnewingham, do you have the same mods also??

i have a friend with an 88 turbo and he's got the k&n fipk, greddy bov, and the exact same 3 inch cat-back, he's also running a shimmed wastegate and he's only hitting 8psi, all i have on him are the drivetrain mods, and the bic dp

wtf, i'm happy in a way but it's actually slowing me down right now

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
oh by the way his name on here is greddysupra, and i kick his ass all over the road :bigthumb:

p.s. sorry for the 3 posts in a row

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
I think the best way to do it would be to rip the wastegate actuator apart and put in a weaker spring. Then use a manual boost controller so the thing isn't always flapping open.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Me too. I just had my 3" exhaust and 2.5" hardpipes w/bov put on this weekend. Im hitting stock boost still it never went up. But I sure hit it hard and fast.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not that I have a good boost guage, still running stock :(

But I just installed my BIC DDP with Cooleze catback and testpipe, no muffler. According to the shitty guage that always showed 6.8 now I hit past 8 PSI (max guage goes up to) it just kinda flings past in when going full throttle up a slight hill or something. Only other mod is Apexi intake and HKS BOV. BTW no cats/no muffler/rerouted DDP sounds amazing, louder than a stang lol, not for long though hehe.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Im still running the stock elbow which might explain the still stock boost. DDP opens it up more so its possible. I still haven't had a chance to completley open the car up yet though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
So does anyone else who is running an ebc hit only stock boost with it off, like me?

·
Registered
278 Posts
It is possible the line going from the turbo to the wastegate actuator has a hole in it. That would certainly explain raised boost pressure.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,734 Posts
^^
That makes some sense. Whats your vacuum at idle when warm?

My boost went up when the DP went on but not to 13 psi. Hell, I run 11-12 with my MBC.

Nothing wrong with wanting to regulate your boost. I just ordered my SP61GT with a 10psi spring as opposed to a 14psi spring for that very reason.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
at idle it usually runs around 20-22, when i am in gear and i let off it'll drop to 24 while the engine is down-revving

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,734 Posts
Sounds like mine for the most part. I forgot the line from the compressor to the wastegate is a closed system.

Check that hose that Drake mentioned. A small hole could let it bleed off enough pressure to keep the wastegate from opening when it should kind of like a ghetto MBC.

Good luck

Edit- I can see the kids looking for pins now as its even cheaper than washers.

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
^^ I agree.

You all said on Decel your guage reads like 24? Sometimes mine reads like 28/30..... What does that mean?

·
Registered
204 Posts
You cannot turn down the boost lower than stock with any type of boost controller. The only way to lower stock boost would be to do what limequat said. Look holes in the wastegate line like everyone is saying. Hope you can find your problem.
-Andy

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I am running with thtis setup:
-BIC DDP w/ 3in testpipe and Greddy SP catback
-Spearco IC w/ 2.5 lower pipes & 3in upper pipe
-MAFT w/ 3in MAF in blow through
-SAFC 2 but with not adjustments made
-1st Gen. HKS EVC
-ZT-2 wideband

I was hitting 10psi before I put the ddp on and now it will hit 13psi on a 3rd gear pull with the boost controller off. I monitor everything with my wideband and my a/f's are good. I leave the boost controller off all the time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts