Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 569 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reluctant to make this for a while, however I wanted to get something up because I have so many questions, and very little references around me. I am basically building this car under the guidance of my personal car knowlege on other platforms and the forum information. Feel free to shoot your opinions, and let me know if I have any glaring issues. I am attempting to get it to what I want the first time, rather than mod it slowly.

So I finally decided that I want to have a supra. Problem is, living in ohio, Supra's are about as common as finding bigfoot riding a unicorn. So I have started amassing parts and have been looking for a car for a while... more on this later. I knew from the beginning that I would be building it from the ground up. So rather than trying to find a car and mod it from there, I have decided to go the pile o' parts and roller approach...

Anyway I have been reading an watching some threads all over the forum on what people have been doing with their cars and I made some goals. I want over 600whp on pump and over 1000whp on e85. However I am really not too hung up on the dyno numbers. Overall I just want it to be safe, reliable, street-able, and untouchable on the highway. I did the nimble quick corner hugging cars on my last project. However I am tired of it. Time to experience a new fast!

And so the quest for parts began... I started out pretty strong with a motor, turbo, and a lot of the engine bay components from a car that was being parted out. The motor has zero miles on it and has never been fired since it was built.

(http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?675412-Race-Longblock-*BUILT-TO-THE-HILT*)

Unfortunately the motor had a rough start. When I got it, it was unbelievable how much corrosion it had picked up.

So I got to work sanding and painting the block and making it semi presentable.

After that I mocked up the turbo kit that I got in the motor deal.

It is a Garrett 4708 (journal bearing) with a greddy manifold and hks WG. The manifold is a T4 and there was a home-made adapter flange that raised the turbo up to make it stick out of a custom hood. As appealing as it is to have the compressor housing hanging out of the hood, I plan to drive the car on the street... so I dont think it would be the best setup for my purpose. I took it all back off and found a nice T6 manifold w. a tial 60mm wg (thanks Alex) and mocked it up.

I have modified the water neck to work, and now have to work on the hardware and studs to make it bolt up properly I have a few things to button up on it.

After the engine, I need a good trans. I had been watching on the forums, but was unable to find one at a decent price. I was able to work out a deal with a JDM importing company and I took the drive to NY to pick up this little guy:

The OE clutch in this trans looks brand new... So I am hoping that a quick fluid swap, and she will be ready to go.

Intake manifold... picked one up from Z-Gad and began working on it to suit my needs.

I have already filled the holes on the plenum and am working to get it polished up... still a work in progress.

I got pcs and parts of an NX kit, so I decided to slap those on the bottom of the runners and powdercoat it black. The oil stains were just not appealing, so I figured black runners would be better than the alternative.

I have been picking up odds and ends along the way. CCW's, 4" Exhaust, HKS triple clutch, muffler, some polished valve covers, starter, motor mounts and transmission mount, 6 speed differential, etc.

Black Friday put a new dimension in the project. I went ahead and got a pair of Tial Q's from the MVP BF sale, and went full out and picked up some FIC 2150s as well as a full pro-efi setup with all the bells and whistles.

All of this has lead back to one thing... I still do not have a car to slap all these parts in! Hoping to fix this issue soon, however I have to find just the right car. I would like to get one home before Christmas, but only time will tell. The goal is to break the motor in and be able to have the car running by spring. Probably get it tuned late spring/early summer and see what it will do.

Please feel free to give me suggestions/tips. I really appreciate them!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Newest revision ETA 2018

Engine Build
3.0L By CAMS 40 over
Ferrea valve train (+2 Valves, Ti retainers, Beehive springs)
PnP Head
Half + filled block (Hard-Blok)
JE "Vinny Ten Spec" Pistons
Carrillo Rods
ACL Race Bearings
Stock Crank
ATI balancer
Meziere electric water pump
Drift Motion 200 amp alternator
OEM timing belt
Titan Billet Timing tensioner Bracket with Koyo tensioner
SRT Digital Crank and Cam position sensors
Crane high lift cams (Custom grind from Batlground)

Turbo Kit
Precision 8889 GEN 1 CEA
BPA Gen R Stainless Exhaust manifold with Twin TurboSmart 45mm HyperGates
BPA Custom Stainless 4" Exhaust with Boost Logic 4" Muffler (5" Tip)
BPA custom intercooler hard piping (one piece)
Race part solution Clamps at turbo and Intake mani.
CPC Carbon Fiber intake manifold (12 injector)
NX direct port nitrous system (225 shot for spool only)
SP Racing 5" Race intercooler

Drivetrain
Tilton Triple Carbon clutch
Tilton Slave cylinder and Hydraulic Throw out bearing
Twins turbo Tilton master cyl adaptor kit for the Supra Chassis
100% Bone stock V160 transmission with Royal Purple synchromesh fluid
Drive shaft shop Chrome moly driveshaft
Drive Shaft shop Billet couplers
Large 6 speed 220mm Differential with Toyota 3.13 gear set with Strange Spool Setup by Accelerated Performance
Majestic Motorsports Billet Rear differential cover
Drive shaft shop upgraded Axles and hubs
Extended ARP studs on rear wheels
Powerhouse racing Billet aluminum mounts. Differential and subframe
Powerhouse Racing Rear Diff weld in steel mounts

Wheels and tires Drag pack
Weld Racing alumastar 2.0 Black anodized wheels
M&H Racemaster front runners
Mickey Thompson 10.5 S ET Drag Slicks
Grannas Manual Steering Rack 20:1

Street Tires
CCW LM20 with Powdercoated center sections and ARP hardware
M&H Drag Radials 315/45/R17 out back
Hankook Ventus 235/40/R17 front tires

Fuel System
3 Walboro 255 fuel pumps in tank
Titan Triple Fuel pump hanger
Weldon 34706 Mechancial pump sumped from bottom of stock tank
PHR Cam Driven Mechanical fuel pump bracket
Earl's -10 feed line
CPC Fuel Rails
FIC 2150 injectors (12 injectors)
Aeromotive Fuel pressure Regulator
Flex fuel sensor
Stock return line

Engine Management
ProEFI 128
Continental Flex Fuel sensor
ProEFI Color CAN gauge
ProEFI ECU interface cable
Traction Control Switch
ProEFI Accelerometer
BPA Custom Mil-Spec Harness

Interior
TRD 10k Tach
93-96 interior panels
EVO 9 Recaro seats with Suede inserts and red stitching
Stock Black Carpet in the front. Carpet removed in the rear.

Safety
8.50 Certified BPA Chrome moly cage (10 point cage)
Simpson Parachute
Simpson Seat Harnesses
Jegs Driveshaft loop installed per NHRA Rules
Custom Nitrous blow down nitrous tubes exiting under the car
Hurst Line Lock
Cody Phillips Racing Aluminum Belly pan

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Nice build! Check ebay for rollers or even running N/a's ! should be able to find something that suites you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good luck with everything. So you are dead set with dropping this in a Supra or are you throwing the idea around of dropping it in another chassis?

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im pretty set on a supra. I like the rarity of them... esp in this area. Everyone and their bother has an evo or a camaro or a mustang. In the supra game, there aren't many contenders. When we go out there are 4-5 evos, a few dsms, random ecotec turbos, etc. Supra's just aren't seen in NE ohio. I have only seen a handful in person and almost all have been 100% stock. The only one that i have seen that is not stock was Alex's car and he is near Columbus. (i am near the akron/canton area)

I am willing to pay the small child fee for a decent roller. Just have to find one that fits time and money constraints.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
are you dead set on a roller or will you consider a running n/a

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roller (to me) just means that it has a v160 tunnel in it and a manual panel/peddles. I really don't care if its a swapped NA 5 spd or a true TT 6 speed car. Personally Id rather have a clean title NA 5 speed that was swapped already.

I would prefer not to have to beat the tunnel out for a v160 or weld a new tunnel in. And I am really not interested in doing an auto swap to manual.

I literally have most of the car sitting here in pieces. Fuel system and even a spare gas tank. So i just need a bare bones car to get going.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a billet timing belt tensioner tonight.

Now I just need to figure out how to weld the timing gear and get an ATI balancer to button the front end up! Is it just a stitch on the back? any clearance issues? or Just tig it together? Does it make sense to fully weld it or just throw a few stitches on the back side of it?

·
2JZA70
2,533 Posts
You don't need to beat the tunnel to fit the 6 speed. The auto shifter mounts in a different spot and honestly swapping the tunnel piece isn't all that hard. If you find an auto in the color and condition you want I wouldn't necessarily count it out.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Got a billet timing belt tensioner tonight.

Now I just need to figure out how to weld the timing gear and get an ATI balancer to button the front end up! Is it just a stitch on the back? any clearance issues? or Just tig it together? Does it make sense to fully weld it or just throw a few stitches on the back side of it?
I just do a couple of 3/8 long beads with a TIG, no filler.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
talked to larry at SP and with my pro-efi setup i am going to run a soft 150 shot for the days I am at the track. Larry was very supportive in letting me know what direction would be best and I ordered the jetting for it after I talked to him

Ordered from Summit yesterday at noon, delivered today Talk about quick shipping!

However I was kind of surprised how expensive these jets are!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I swapped to a T6 manifold, but yeah its going to be around 5500rpm so get it making some boost. I am ok with that because its basically going to be a straight line car. I will see mostly highway and drag strip driving. :)

And I have firmed up plans to pick up a roller this coming Saturday. Hoping to get some good pics of a car and not just my pile of parts!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a TRD tach in the mail:

Back to work. Replaced the Tbelt tensioner bracket with the billet bracket, Welded the gear on the Timing gear. Didnt have a tig. But the mig and grinding wheel seemed to do OK:

Also, I am going this Saturday to pick up my roller. I cant wait to get it back home and start working on it....

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went on a Journey to visit Rob! today and pickup a nice chassis to bring the parts sourcing to full circle. Firstly I want to say that the Roads in NJ make Ohio look like the autobahn.

So here she is all loaded up on the way back home. Lots to do, and I cant wait to dive in! More photos to come, but after a 14 hour drive, I am done for tonight.

1 - 20 of 569 Posts