Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a webpage about gentleman witha C5 vette that had his wheel wells mini tubed. This is when the wheel wels are cut from the inside and some metal is added to make the wells 1 to 2 inches deeper. This would allow you to run 345/30/18 in the back while having the fenderlip untouched. His came out very nicely. Is this possible on the Supra's suspenion??

here is the link to his write-up on the minitub with lots of pics...

http://tradezone.com/vette/tubing.html

Unfortuneately, Im no suspenion expert. I just want to know if this possible ona supra?

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts

This is not possible on the mkiv - this cut would destroy the location where the shock&spring mounts.

315's hit the inside fenderwell...just in front of the springs on the bottom. You have to pound that in with a big hammer to get 315's to fit. To get 335's+ to fit,you have to widen the fender somehow.

·
3,148 Posts
On a Supra the inner fender well is only part of your clearance problem. You will hit the stock spring shortly after you hit the inner fender well. You can go to a coilover setup with a smaller diameter spring and this will help, but you will still have to modify the fender well and fender lip to get a 335 to fit.

Later, Steve

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
315's hit the inside fenderwell...just in front of the springs on the bottom. You have to pound that in with a big hammer to get 315's to fit.

WRONG

Not all 315's rub.

BFG 315's will rub when the car squats, but 315 Nitto drag radials do not rub at all.

I know I have used them both.

Bob

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
The BFG's don't fit on the stock wheels too well. They bow out over the sides of the rims too much for my tastes.

The Nitto's fit much better on the stock rims. The sidewall does not stick out as far over the rim. They handle MUCH better too.

Bob

·
3,148 Posts
Keep in mind that a 315 mounted on a 9.5" wheel is going to have a section width about .6" less than one mounted on an 11" wheel.

Later, Steve

·
3,148 Posts
Technically the contact patch is the same. It will have a wider (though shorter) contact patch. :)

Later, Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts