7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could one of you guys do me a huge favour and tell me (89+):

what colour the wires are that go into the mirror switch in the center console
how many there are
how many wires go into your mirror control box
what colour those are
what colour the wires are that are in the plug which plugs into the mirrors themselves
and i assume there are 5?

thanks all i really appreciate it
i got me some cool as 89+ mirrors and i wuv them lots but i dunno how to make them work lol

·
Banned
531 Posts
sorry i cant help, but i need the same info..

i have an 88 mirror on my 89 that im going to replace soon (but not soon enough). It doesnt work, guess the previous owner didnt hook it up properly..

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea you got it easier tho :p
i'm installing on a jdm car and from what i can tell wiring colours are totally different and we have extra wires for the retract i will no longer be using lol

i've also gotta wire new plugs on the mirrors coz i didn't get the usdm female plugs

i assume usdm has mirror control relay box in one of the doors?

i have a jdm mirror switch & relay box for swap for 89+ mirror switch + relay box if anyone is interested or could help me out

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i did the opposite of what your doing.i put the power folding on my 92 usdm.i got the diagrams of ricks sight.i had to run 4 wires from each mirror to the control box.one wire to the switch and a power wire.if you are doing the opposite,you probably won't have to run any.i don't remember mine haveing a control box for the stock mirror's.when i bought the jdm mirror's i was under the impression that i had to swap the control box then add a couple of wires.it turned out to be a little more work.one thing i did notice was that i could plug the jdm switch into the usdm plug and the mirror's would work(not sure about the heat though).sorry i can't be much help,but you will probably need both diagrams to compare.

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
QUOTE=suprra_girl]could one of you guys do me a huge favour and tell me (89+):

what colour the wires are that go into the mirror switch in the center console

^ there are 7
GR > gray wire which is + power from the 7.5 amp radio #2 fuse to the switch
W-B > white w/ black stripe which is the ground - to the mirror switch
BR-B > brown w/ black stripe which goes to LEFT mirror from the mirror switch
BR-Y > brown w/ yellow stripe SAME AS ABOVE
LG-R > light green w/ red stripe which goes to BOTH mirrors from the mirror switch
BR-R > brown w/ red stripe which goes to the Right mirror from the mirror switch
LG-B > light green w/ black stripe SAME AS ABOVE

how many there are
^ 7

how many wires go into your mirror control box
^ there is NO mirror control box used on the USDM system. 5 wires to each mirror plug, ( the 3 above wire colors for the 2 motors plus an additional 2 wires for the heaters)

what colour those are
^ See above for the 3 colors plus a a V-R which is a violet w/ red stripe and a W-B which is a white w/ black stripe. The V-R is the + from the 10 amp mirror heater fuse and the W-B is the ground - for the heater.
NOTE: a W-B white w/ black stripe is ALWAYS a ground - on ALL Toyotas.

what colour the wires are that are in the plug which plugs into the mirrors themselves
^ See above. Also the mirror heater wires are at either end of the connector plug @ spaces 1 & 5 with the common LG-R wire in the middle of the plug @ space 3

and i assume there are 5?
^ Correct

thanks all i really appreciate it
^ You're welcome
i got me some cool as 89+ mirrors and i wuv them lots but i dunno how to make them work lol

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome stuff i really really appreciate it :) i'll have a look at mine tomorrow see if anything matches up :) :D

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alrite!!! so i've got a good start... found all my wiring and what each is :D

could someone please please get a testlight and unplug their mirror and of the three in the middle tell me which one does what direction
i assume your switches face this way with the L R facing closest to the shifter

the mirror colours i have are.... (clips facing up)

lh mirror = black, red, green, orange, black

so red green & orange will be the direction wires

rh mirror colours are
black, green, yellow, brown, black

again, i really appreciate your help :D :) ;)

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
direction is also needed for pre 89 mirrors too :)

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
suprra_girl said:
alrite!!! so i've got a good start... found all my wiring and what each is :D

could someone please please get a testlight and unplug their mirror and of the three in the middle tell me which one does what direction
i assume your switches face this way with the L R facing closest to the shifter

the mirror colours i have are.... (clips facing up)

lh mirror = black, red, green, orange, black

so red green & orange will be the direction wires

rh mirror colours are
black, green, yellow, brown, black

again, i really appreciate your help :D :) ;)

The middle wire ( 3rd from either end ) is the common wire from the mirror switch,
so the LG-R which is the light green with red stripe connects to the green wire on the LH and the yellow wire on the RH. It is common to both. The red wire in the LH and the green wire in the RH ( 2nd one from left with clip up) is the UP/DN for both mirrors. The orange wire in the LH and the brown wire in the RH ( 4th one from the left with clip up) is the left/right movement. When you press the mirror switch for left/ right movement, you will have power to the orange wire on the LH OR the brown wire on the RH ( 4th one on the plug ) depending on the position of the L/R switch on the mirror switch.
Not sure if your wire colors are the same AT the mirror switch but on USDM it's the BR-R ( brown w/red stripe) at the switch for the LH to the orange wire at the LH mirror plug and the BR-B ( brown w/ black stripe) to the brown wire at the RH mirror plug.
The 2 black wires at each end are for the heating element in the mirror. Polarity does not matter.

Hope this helps
Mike

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot Mike, this is awesome :D

i'll post pics up when i have them painted n stuff and wired in :D :) ;)

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so it would seem that our switches have diff colours and operate different :(

(switch with arrow closest to R L being UP)
my switch is as follows LH mirror
Light Green = Left
Light Green w/ black stripe = Up
Light Green w/ Red stripe = Right & Down

RH mirror
Brown w/ Black stripe = Left
Light Green w/ Black stripe = Up

it seems we use an extra wire or something...
as you've probably already figured out i'm not exactly an auto sparky hehe

·
92 TURBO
1,009 Posts
suprra_girl said:
so it would seem that our switches have diff colours and operate different :(

(switch with arrow closest to R L being UP)
my switch is as follows LH mirror
Light Green = Left
Light Green w/ black stripe = Up

RH mirror
Brown w/ Black stripe = Left
Light Green w/ Black stripe = Up

it seems we use an extra wire or something...
as you've probably already figured out i'm not exactly an auto sparky hehe
^It's different as we have no light green wire and only 1 light green w/ black stripe wire that only goes to the RH. We have a brown w/ yellow stripe wire in place of your 2nd LG-B wire. It's for UP/DN for the LH mirror. We do have the 2 light green w/ red stripe wires which both go to the middle terminal pin on both mirror plugs. It's the UP/LEFT < this way and DN/RIGHT this way > .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts