Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite a big problem with misfiring. While driving on high rpm my engine is misfiring (only sometimes). No matter if boost is high or low. What do you think? My spark plugs are normal NGK (6000 miles old). What could be the reason?:( :( :( :( :(

·
3,148 Posts
What gap are you running?

Later, Steve

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have NGK BKR6EP-11
1.1 gap

·
Registered
272 Posts
Check the plugs on the coils my friend had the same problem and # 6 was loose. at any boost some times the car would run fine other times it was missing
most of his conectors were broken

laterz

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
try the ngk 3330 i was told befor to try gap sizes from .29 to .34

im right now at .34 and all seems well!some people have good results with .32 .29 so its sort of like a trial and errror job!

·
Registered
34 Posts
How are your spark plug wires? How long since they have changed? It sounds to me like you could have an arcing problem, or clean up your terminals on your coils, when you are experiencing constant, close pulses, you have a misfire, something is not making a complete conduction. My first guess would be wires.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
I would guess that after you were just asking if 2 bars it too much boost that you fouled out your plugs because your car was running hella rich to protect the engine.

Throw some new plugs in the car gap them down as suggested and see if that helps. If it doesn't then go to the coilpacks.

·
10,459 Posts
supras dont use spark plug wires !
RacerRT said:
How are your spark plug wires? How long since they have changed? It sounds to me like you could have an arcing problem, or clean up your terminals on your coils, when you are experiencing constant, close pulses, you have a misfire, something is not making a complete conduction. My first guess would be wires.

·
10,459 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wiring Harness is not the same damn thing. Arcing comes from the high voltage leaking to ground or cross-firing through the spark plugs wires. Since the Supra has no distributor and no spark plug wires it uses a senor on the crankshaft and camshaft that signals low voltage to the coils that connect directly to the spark plug. No arcing is ever going to occur.

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Big thanx to all of you guys!

I will check everything you have written.

Between coil and spark plugs is rubber part like o-ring - can't this cause my problem? Water could go thrue this rubber part = arcing???

What are 3330 NGK spark plugs - I can not find them in NGK catalogue? Do you have other [part number? Or mayby 3330 is part of longer part number?

Regarding gap - do you mean 0.29 - 0.34 mm ? Now I have 1.1 mm.

Thanx once again. You are like most fantastic family - Great!!!!

D

·
0 Posts
I have never tried the 3330's but from what i understand they have an extremely rough idle. I am currently using the ngk 6097's and am very satisfied, but make your decision

3330 pt. # - BCPR7ES
6097 pt. # - BKR7E

Hope this helps.

Chris

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
When should I put 3330, when 6097 and when 2978?

What gap is suggeted for each of type?

What are the differences? I know that 2978 (stock) is platinium and other are not!!!!

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just talking to my mechanic and he said it is not good idea to change platinum spark plugs to non platinium like 3330!!!!

He said: Peter, DO NOT DO IT!!!

·
3,148 Posts
Use the BKR7E. Gapped at .035 inches (.889mm). The copper plugs don't last as long, but at $2 ea. just replace them every 6 months and don't worry about it. They actually cunduct better than the platinum plugs. I have these in my car at my current hp level, so I don't think you will have a problem. I also used these in 2 BPU cars without a problem.

Later, Steve

·
10,459 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts