Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am in the process of replacing the head gakset in my 7m, and as i was draining the coolant the radiator and noticed the two lines at the bottom were pink fluid ( I assume trans fluid )

Anyways, i have already purchased the new hoses and a mishimoto thermostat however i would like to know if anyone is running the mishimoto radiator on a mk3 with an automatic or if those lines are the same anyways for the manual cars..

also,i was wondering if anyone had any eperence with their fans aswell... the website says that they are a direct fit however i noticed that most people ive seen on youtube have had to rewire them seperately..

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have an MT and was looking at the same radiator. I decided to go with a Koyo OEM style radiator since I'm running a stock NA engine. I found one on Walmart's site for $170. It came with an internal trans cooler and hose barbs for the ATF fluid circulation. I won't need those for my MT and will be removing them. To directly answer you the manual cars do not have these cooler lines at all.

If you go with the Mishimoto radiator for your AT you can buy a separate trans cooler and install it and you may need to do a bit of fab to get it in. There are posts out there for installing separate AT coolers that can help you out. Just search this site. The other note worthy issue with these radiators is the additional thickness. If you intend to use the stock fan shroud with the Mishimoto like I was going to, the shroud will end up further back relative to the fan blades which some have complained about. The fan will also end up closer to the radiator core. The other concern is if your fan clutch is old and worn you may want to invest in a brand new one to prevent fan wobble from causing the fan to hit and damage the radiator. Also realize the cap that comes with this radiator has a much higher relief pressure than the stock cap so make sure all of your heater and coolant hoses are good.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Run the pre-89 13psi/0.9bar cap with the Mishimoto radiator. There's no need to run the 19psi cap it comes with. I threw mine away.

Yes, it's a bit thicker than the stock radiator, but there's still plenty of space. Definitely good to check if your fan wobbles any. The stock shroud fits perfectly.

The big annoyance (to me), is the barbs are a bit smaller so the stock spring clamps don't work. I had to find slightly smaller ones that fit.

You can search to verify, but I believe that Mishimoto's electric fans are not up to snuff. It's really tough to top the stock fan setup for airflow. Going to properly strong electric fans requires significant wiring and an upgraded alternator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts