Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Toyota Lover
1,432 Posts
I recently installed a Koyo - fitment was perfect and the welding on it is really well done.

I installed it and made some of my own modifications, one thing I did not know was that the stock clutch fan can no longer operate in the same area it was previously... I am either going to have to remodel the brackets to fit or get rid of it completely.
Stock fan and shroud didn't fit with the Koyo??? That's strange... Any others having this same issue?

·
ex BPU'er
5,096 Posts
Looks like people need a new stocker!

·
Registered
461 Posts
mine leaks out the cap, but then i got a different cap and now its good. never had any issues like this

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Justin,

Rick installed my new Koyo a couple months ago and never even mentioned anything unusual or even a minor problem...which I think he would at least have mentioned if he ran into it. I also just sent him a text asking about this issue and he said "...never had any issues at all with that..." If you need more details for confidence, give him a call.

·
Toyota Lover
1,432 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Nick, so that I can feel much better about ordering a Koyo :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Justin,

Rick installed my new Koyo a couple months ago and never even mentioned anything unusual or even a minor problem...which I think he would at least have mentioned if he ran into it. I also just sent him a text asking about this issue and he said "...never had any issues at all with that..." If you need more details for confidence, give him a call.
Sounds good, thanks for the info Nick

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Damn, I guess I should have went with a koyo instead.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I installed a Meagan racing 3 row in a sc that is made for a supra and it worked well and had no issues. I know a lot don't like the brand but I have the coil overs and will definitely get one when it's time to change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did he mention what the issue was? I noticed in this thread that the two lower rubber mounts needed to be trimmed. I'll be looking for a new radiator soon and was considering their new one. At least Mishimoto warranties their's, but that's a lot of failures!
If you have a 1997 or 1998 MKIV, the original Mishimoto radiator doesn't work well the the factory fan shroud, and is even missing a location to bolt the shroud to the radiator.
We welcome everyone’s feedback and comments! This helps us stay on top of any issues!

We had a few customers with aftermarket carbon fiber hoods state that our radiator was incompatible with their hood. The top end tank was designed such that the radiator cap was higher compared to an OEM radiator, resulting in poor fitment. We re-designed the top end tank, moved the filler neck down 12mm and top water outlet down 3mm.

Additionally, we learned that Toyota designed two different OEM fan shrouds for the Supra between 1993-1998. After researching this, we determined that our radiator did not accept the 1997-1998 OEM fan shrouds. At this time, the appropriate fan shroud mounting provisions were added to the radiator, allowing fitment of all 1993-1996 OEM, 1997-1998 OEM, and Mishimoto Performance Aluminum fan shrouds.

Attached are before and after pictures showing the changes.

Feel free to PM any of the MVP representatives or contact them on their vendor page with any ordering inquiries!

If anyone has any questions for us, please send us an E-mail at [email protected]!

Thanks,
-Pat

Attachments

·
Toyota Lover
1,432 Posts
Pat, I am sooo glad to that you took the time to join and discuss the issues on the forum... It shows that you are dedicated to help out the customers rather than disregard all the feedback that you receive (as some other companies like to do)...

What has been done differently for the issues the OP has had with leaks?

That being said, I will gladly order a new style Mishimoto radiator since I know that your customer service will be top notch and if these minor issues have been fixed...

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are referring to the OP mentioning leaking units, correct?

We do pressure test all radiators prior to being boxed and shipped out. It is quite unfortunate to see a radiator leak right out of the box. Of course, we would be happy to replacement it under our warranty and we do understand the frustration and inconvenience that it may cause.

As far as the OP's unit which arrived leaking, the product may have been thrown around during shipping, causing damage to the core, or making the radiator slightly out of square. Once the radiator saw pressure the issue presented itself. As far as units leaking within 6 months or so, it is extremely difficult to diagnose something like this. The 93-98 Supra radiators are one of our top sellers and we rarely see issues with this product in general. If I were to guess the cause for this, it would be that the radiator was binding once installed for one reason or another, causing the leaks to occur.

As mentioned the fitment issues regarding the fan shroud, and mounting the radiator have been corrected at this time.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks,
-Pat

·
Registered
701 Posts
You are referring to the OP mentioning leaking units, correct?

We do pressure test all radiators prior to being boxed and shipped out. It is quite unfortunate to see a radiator leak right out of the box. Of course, we would be happy to replacement it under our warranty and we do understand the frustration and inconvenience that it may cause.

As far as the OP's unit which arrived leaking, the product may have been thrown around during shipping, causing damage to the core, or making the radiator slightly out of square. Once the radiator saw pressure the issue presented itself. As far as units leaking within 6 months or so, it is extremely difficult to diagnose something like this. The 93-98 Supra radiators are one of our top sellers and we rarely see issues with this product in general. If I were to guess the cause for this, it would be that the radiator was binding once installed for one reason or another, causing the leaks to occur.

As mentioned the fitment issues regarding the fan shroud, and mounting the radiator have been corrected at this time.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks,
-Pat
I'll be purchasing one of your radiators for my 94 in the next few weeks. Glad to see you stand by your warranty and took the time to respond. How a company respond to customer concerns goes a long ways. Toyota did not stand by some OEM parts I purchased about a year ago and now I avoid OEM parts because of this.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'll be purchasing one of your radiators for my 94 in the next few weeks. Glad to see you stand by your warranty and took the time to respond. How a company respond to customer concerns goes a long ways. Toyota did not stand by some OEM parts I purchased about a year ago and now I avoid OEM parts because of this.
I must say, out of all the part companies I have delt with, Mishimoto is one of the easiest to deal with. They have always stood by their product and replaced my bad units. I'm pretty sure I just have bad luck!

Thanks for chiming in Pat!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I must say, out of all the part companies I have delt with, Mishimoto is one of the easiest to deal with. They have always stood by their product and replaced my bad units. I'm pretty sure I just have bad luck!

Thanks for chiming in Pat!
Great to hear. I installed mine today!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Any idea if the standard Mishimoto 2 row or newer x-line 3 row in their current revision accept the OEM TRD cap made for the oem radiator ? or maybe the B type that MR2 use ?

Thanks

·
Registered
865 Posts
So installed my X-line yesterday, both Regular TRD 1.3 Bar Supra rad cap and TRD 1.5 Bar MR2 cap don't fit at all (smaller diameter and different dual valve system)

Also I have a small leak, the radiator temp sensor leak just a tiny bit, I tryed to add the Mihimoto rubber grommet from the aluminum blank cap bolt, add teflon tape to no avail, It appear the original toyota design using an internal seal doesn't seal at all...

Any idea ?

Maybe I should drain the X-Line again, save the mix and lets it dry and apply high temp silicone to the temp probe and lets it sit a good week before putting back the water/toyota red/water weter mix in ?

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Not sure what the problem is but Ive installed koyo, mishumoto, fluidyne, ebay specials, etc.. and never had one leak. I realize this is a little off topic but to have this many radiators leak by someone who has only changed a few and then you have someone like me who has installed many, many with no issues points me to think that there are other issues at play.

·
boost life
2,521 Posts
We welcome everyone’s feedback and comments! This helps us stay on top of any issues!

We had a few customers with aftermarket carbon fiber hoods state that our radiator was incompatible with their hood. The top end tank was designed such that the radiator cap was higher compared to an OEM radiator, resulting in poor fitment. We re-designed the top end tank, moved the filler neck down 12mm and top water outlet down 3mm.

Additionally, we learned that Toyota designed two different OEM fan shrouds for the Supra between 1993-1998. After researching this, we determined that our radiator did not accept the 1997-1998 OEM fan shrouds. At this time, the appropriate fan shroud mounting provisions were added to the radiator, allowing fitment of all 1993-1996 OEM, 1997-1998 OEM, and Mishimoto Performance Aluminum fan shrouds.

Attached are before and after pictures showing the changes.

Feel free to PM any of the MVP representatives or contact them on their vendor page with any ordering inquiries!

If anyone has any questions for us, please send us an E-mail at [email protected]!

Thanks,
-Pat
pat , you guys are truly great to deal with . in the 5 yrs my car has been boosted i have used nothing but your rad with no problems other then your caps losing its ability to hold the advertised 1.3 bar of pressure within 6-10 months of use , but you guys always send a new one free of cost ..

as for the fitment issue , i have a 93-96 gte shroud with aux fan and it fits like stock , at what point did you guys make provisions for the 97-98 shroud . i am going to convert over to the 97-98 shroud by next summer as i want the dual fan setup and im relocating battery to trunk and changing piping orientation . will you guys work something out for me to obtain the newer design so i can factory mount the dual aux fan setup

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Japanese Tuning in Plain English

Just FYI...

:hay:"MISHIMOTO" isn't a Japanese word or even a Japanese name. :kekegay: To Japanese it's a friggen joke and they'll think you're a :dumbass:

So if you ever wonder why a foreign tourist is laughing at your car, they're not... they're just laughing at you.:lol:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts