Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I got my car back, but it had a really bad vibration coming from the engine. I changed all the spark plugs and then the vibration dissapeared.. for a few minutes of driving that is.. Then it went back to misfiring. The valve cover gaskets were changed before the engine was put into the car.. So Im not sure what to think about whats causing it to missfire. It seems that oil is still getting on to the plugs.. Only thing I can think of is maybe he didnt clean out the oil that was in there previously?

Any help would be great.. Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Plugs 1-4 looked good when i checked the plugs again.. Plug 5 has a tiny bit of oil on it and plug 6 had a little bit more. It doesnt look like they are really sitting in any oil that i could see.

The car runs smooth when its cold, and blows a tiny bit on blue if you rev it up a bit.

I really want to fix this and know if its safe to drive like this..

thanks

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Okay, oil on the plugs isn't normal and don't be so quick to dismiss it as a possible cause of the misfire. If your cam covers are properly torqued down then the seals are old and dry, replace them. Test your plug wires per the TSRM.

Are you N/A or Turbo? The firing order for the block side is 1 to 6, 1 being the front most plug and 6 being the plug closest to the firewall. If you're N/A the OEM distributor cap and most aftermarket caps have the plug order labeled. If you're turbo look here for the firing order: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=Main&Page=46

The smoke is either excess fuel or you're burning oil, any idea which?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its turbo.

I re-checked plugs 5 and 6, and everything looks normal. All the plug wires are working good also.

The mechanic that did the swap, also changed a o-ring on the distributor.

The car when its not moving, and you rev it, it shakes a fair amount. While im driving it, it vibrates less when im on the gas. When i release the gas, it vibrates really bad and when i hit the brakes the vibration stops. It also sounds like it backfires.. and the mechanic said the car was running a little rich.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts