Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I took my car to a shop to get fixed and the car just had an oil-change like 100 miles ago with Mobil 1 15w50 Full Synthetic. The car was leaking oil all over the place so the guy fixed the leak and he topped the oil off which was about a quart with normal Castrol GTX oil. Is that bad? Could the car be driven for a while until I get a new oil-change? Thanks for your help!!!

~Farhad G.

·
Registered
558 Posts
No, it won't hurt anything...

Despite the name, "Synthetic" its not synthetic, Synthetic oil is made out of good old oil....

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
you can buy blended oil that is 50/50 synthetic/mineral.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Yup, as the others said, no harm will result. Manufacturers do partical snythetic blends all the time!

·
Misty and Wet
358 Posts
What is potentially worse is mixing two different fully synthetics.

Straight 'dino' oil is regarded to be safe to be mixed with synth. It just dilutes it and you want to change the whole lot earlier than normal, as others have already said.

·
Registered
934 Posts
the only issue with this is your turbos may cook that oil quicker now. this is just a bandage fix, just remember dont be at ease.... get those leaks fixed!

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
What happens when...?

JohnA said:
What is potentially worse is mixing two different fully synthetics.
Two synthetics are mixed?

·
Misty and Wet
358 Posts
No, I meant having a fully synth in the sump and refilling with fully synth of a different manufacturer.
Reactions amongst proprietary additives is more likely to happen in this case.

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
JohnA said:
No, I meant having a fully synth in the sump and refilling with fully synth of a different manufacturer.
Damn those proprietary additives to Hell anyway. Thanks for the info. Never heard of anything bad happening but it seems like the potential increases.

·
Registered
934 Posts
oooooohh.... im not familar w/ castrol products but i assumed the GTX was the nonsynthetic. there shouldnt be any issues as long as the weights are the same

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
I believe you are correct. The GTX is non and the Syntec is the synthetic.

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
JohnA said:
Out of curiousity what is the worst that may happen if the proprietary additives have the most horrible Gosh awful Holy S$%^ reaction?

·
Misty and Wet
358 Posts
The manufacturers themselves recommend to avoid mixing them around.
Hard to tell what the products of a potential reaction could be - deposits, reduced protection, who knows, it would depend on the combination of ingredients, wouldn't it?

Better safe than sorry eh

·
Banned
888 Posts
i heard bad things. but not sure tho.

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
Hands On said:
you can buy blended oil that is 50/50 synthetic/mineral.

notice how they call it a BLEND , they never tell you what the % is .....could be 95% reg. oil and 5% synthetic , that would be considered a BLEND ......although there is no problem with mixing oils ( synthetic and reg) i would stay away with those prepackaged blends ......

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
SUPRA180 said:
notice how they call it a BLEND , they never tell you what the % is .....could be 95% reg. oil and 5% synthetic , that would be considered a BLEND ......although there is no problem with mixing oils ( synthetic and reg) i would stay away with those prepackaged blends ......
Some of them will have 50/50 on the label. Isn't that the %?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts