Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sound Awake
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Thought I'd post up the details on my first races EVER in my Supra.

I went up against my good friend's 2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636. It's a 360 lb (dry weight) bike and the rider/owner (190 lb) is an avid stunter and very experienced rider.

The bike is modded with a Two Brothers exhaust, K&N air filter and Michelin Pilot Power tires making about 110 HP at the tire. It's a mid-high 10 second bike that would trap around 130 MPH, depending on the rider.

I did a few 50 mph rolls with him when I was on 17psi on C16 with a passenger. I was around 600 RWHP. I've only put on about 200 miles on the car, so I'm still trying to figure out when/where to brake boost and finding the best rolling speed that matches my powerband.

I started in 2nd at round 50 mph without brake boosting and I gave 3 honks and we went at it. He pulled about 2 car lengths but no more, and by the time I hit 5th I started pulling him in but he shut down early. We probably got up to about 140 mph or so. I wasn't watching the speedo.

We had a couple more 50 mph rolls and I narrowed the gap to 1/2 to 1 car length without brake boosting.

I think if I were to start at a 60mph roll and was brake boosting, I should be able to stay even with him or pull ahead of him by about a car lenth or so by somewhere in 5th gear. But he's a good rider, so I've got my work cut out for me.

We did race while I was on kill mode (850+ rwhp @ 31psi). I had a passenger with me again.

We started in 2nd and just went. No honks or anything. I got the jump on him and just kept pulling. I was at the top of 3rd and already had about 2 car lengths on him and pulling. As I hit 4th we had to shut down because of traffic.

I had dropped my tire pressures a bit on my R888's before we went out that day and it payed off because I hooked extremely well in 2nd gear and all the way through 3rd and into 4th before we had to shut down. It was about 85 degrees that day. I used to have traction issues in 2nd and into the first bit of 3rd gear at higher tire pressures, but dropping them seemed to be good move.

Sorry, no vids. But I'm going to order a GoPro camera this week so I'll have some footage of the next race for sure!!

I'll try and get some pics and vids of the bike and post 'em up along with some of my stuff! :D

Josh

·
Banned
541 Posts
Nice races man! Sounds like you are out enjoying your car the right way. lol I know you said you are still learning the car which is exactly what I had to do when I switched over to E85, but I am curious about what you think you could improve since you have the power to beat that bike pretty badly even on low boost.

·
Sound Awake
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice races man! Sounds like you are out enjoying your car the right way. lol I know you said you are still learning the car which is exactly what I had to do when I switched over to E85, but I am curious about what you think you could improve since you have the power to beat that bike pretty badly even on low boost.
I agree with you that 600rwhp should be enough to beat this bike, but I think the main contribution to my loss on the 17psi race was not brake boosting. I had about a 1-1.5 second lag delay and it doesn't take a bike long to jump ahead in that time. By the time I hit 5th, I started reeling him in quickly, but he shut down as soon as I hit 5th.

The bike is pretty lethal bone stock , though. A good rider can pull a 10.6 1/4 mile time out of the bike as it is. A full weight street Supra (with a passenger) with 600 rwhp has got it's work cut out for it to match the performance of the this bike.

When we meet up again, I'll have him another go on 17psi and I'll see how I do. If we go deep into 5th I think I'll get him. Or if we do a quicker roll - say 60-70mph.

·
Banned
541 Posts
Yeah it was the brake boosting I would say too. I raced an 06 600rr from 60-130 or 140 and had him the whole way. I ended up beating him by a few cars. He I would say is not as good a rider as your friend. Also as far as I know 636's are a bit faster than the rr's. (I know the guy I raced too) I was at 27psi on a 67dbb which put down 615whp.

Just keep playing with it and you'll start to really get a feel for it. Then you will be smoking him and any other 600's. If you come up on a liter bike you will have to hit full kill and get them too!:cool:

Congrats on your first races!

·
Sound Awake
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

I've had my Supra out quite a bit this year and there's really nothing to race. Reaaaally dissapointed.

I pulled up next to a base model C6 Corvette last week and the owner's wife was driving it. She looked at my car and laughed to her girlfriend who was in the passenger seat.

The people of this town have no idea what my car is. Bunch of freakin' hillbillies... And that's the truth.

The only other race that was going to go down was on Friday night. I'm embarrassed to even type this...

It was an older 80's IROC Z. It had a 400 trans-am motor bored over to a 414. I think that's right... It looked like he took a Sawzall to the hood for his air cleaner to fit through as he installed the biggest throttle body spacer possible to get that "cold air induction". Also, the crankcase breathers were barfing out the oil....needless to say the car was a heap.

He claimed to make 650 rwhp.........BUT he said that he kept blowing fan belts at 5500 RPM and wasn't sure if he would be able to race and he's running the stock wheels and all season tires and pointed out that he might not be able to get traction........

Apparently he's been wanting to race me for quite a while, claiming his car will beat the snot out of mine. Classic bench racer talk..

So, being that we're in a small town, I told him to meet up at a preestablished location and we'll do a roll race at the meeting place to avoid attracting any attention from the law in town.

As we go to exit the parking lot, he burns out in reverse and then burns out leaving the parking lot....complete jackass move. I let him go off ahead and my friend (passenger) and I could hear him bagging his car the whole way out of town.

Just as we get out of town, he slowed down to let me pass so I could lead the way to the rondezvous point. I was about a 1/2 mile in front of him and behaving, and my radar started going off right before the end of the city limit. Sure enough, the 5-0 yanked him, and I'm guessing ticketed him for being an idiot.

I guess I'm going to have to save up my nickels and dimes and make a trip down to Texas in March and do it right....

·
Sound Awake
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ BTW, the same night that we met up with the IROC dude, one of his buddies stopped by to check things out.

IROC's buddy informed my friend and I that he used to drive a "RICE BURNER"...."weren't that great". Then he goes on to ask me if I've got a Rotary engine in my car.

FML....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts