Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it's possible to put a 6speed trans from a mkIV in a mkII to gain better highway economy. Will it fit? Are the ratios different enough to wrrant such a swap? Where can I get a trans?

·
Registered
171 Posts
i dont think there is a bellhousing that will mate from a mk4 6spd
to a m series engine.. not 100% on that though, it would not be easy or cheap and probably not worth the effort if you can do it at all (tranny is probably worth 1000+) if you want to swap out
your w58 i would suggest a r154 as they are stronger easier to fit and alot cheaper
hth
Scott A

·
Registered
427 Posts
You will not get better highway economy with a Getrag V161 6-speed; only 6th gear is overdriven, and the ratio is not much different to 5th gear on a W58.

V161's don't have separate bellhousings like W58's, so adapting one to an M series engine (or anything apart from a JZ engine) would be very difficult and costly.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Norbie said:
You will not get better highway economy with a Getrag V161 6-speed; only 6th gear is overdriven, and the ratio is not much different to 5th gear on a W58.

V161's don't have separate bellhousings like W58's, so adapting one to an M series engine (or anything apart from a JZ engine) would be very difficult and costly.
very true on all accounts....guy who knows trannies! :D

also i odnt see how the enlongated gearing of the getrag would be well suited for the normal gearing of the mk2.....

for examples top speeds in both cars are drastically different.....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Correct. TT MkIV's have a 3.0:1 diff ratio to take advantage of the gear ratios of the V161. A MkII by comparison has a diff ratio between 3.7:1 and 4.3:1, which would make first gear a complete waste of time!

·
Registered
203 Posts
...which brings us full circle. if you want better highway economy, swap out your final drive. go for that 3.71..numericaly smaller=longer gear=faster top speed=more economy at lower speeds. but then you can kiss your torque down low byebye.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts