Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking at forced induction and have found several Turbo Kits such as the F-MAX: http://www.turbo-kits.com/toyota_turbo_kits.html

Toyota Racing Development make several supercharger packages for Toyota's but I have been unable to find one for a N/A Supra.

The Turbo Kits are selling around US $4000 but I see you guys mentioning prices of around $2000 for superchargers.

I 'd like to try and lift the N/A Supra from the stock 220HP to close to the export TT's 320 HP.

Apparently the engine is strong to 500/600 + hp and the tranny should be good for ..........

I like the sound of the supercharger because it sounds simpler (not modifying exhaust headers etc) being belt driven, because of the concept of little lag, cool underbonnet, etc.

So how could I achieve this at minimal cost.

Here is a second hand Toyota Supercharger as an example: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts/Performance-parts/0001-0877-1360-/auction-6491960.htm

Could I buy one similar to this and what would it take to do a reasonably good job of installation.

I'm in New Zealand by the way.

Do I need a big headgasket to drop compression?
Would the stock injectors do?
Would the stock fuel pump do?
What other bits do you need?
Inlet header mod?

I wouldn't need huge hp but 320 with the option of changing pulleys later would be good.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
NZ1 said:
Toyota Racing Development make several supercharger packages for Toyota's but I have been unable to find one for a N/A Supra.

The Turbo Kits are selling around US $4000 but I see you guys mentioning prices of around $2000 for superchargers.
Toyota does make superchargers, but not for Supra applications.

.... and I'm not sure where you saw it mentioned that it was 2,000$ for a Supra supercharger.

If you want to get an NA's horsepower up to around the same as a stock TT, you're best bet is a turbo kit.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a bit of a cheapskate

I looked at the camry Supercharger:

http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/solara_&_camry_supercharger.htm

and saw that it is a 3 litre supercharger. I will probably e-mail trd and ask if they fit. The price for the camry charger is approx. $2600 on their site however I have seen brand new TRD chargers on e-bay sub $2000. The one I saw was for a 3.4 litre Tundra or some such Toyota Truck but it is only a matter of time to find a sub 2k camry if this would could be applicable.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Dude, all of those 6 cyclinder applications that TRD lists are V6's.... not inline 6's like the Supra is.

The toyota Supra is an inline six, which has a completely different engine layout then a 3 liter solara, camry, tundra and any other v6 toyota on the market. That supercharger WILL NOT fit on a 2jz-ge motor.

·
Registered
898 Posts
im no expert, but ive heard in the long run turbos always out perform superchargers. again i say im not expert, but ive read a few things. i beleive that i read a supercharger can be just as laggy as a turbo and somtimes has more lagg. Your best bet is to just buy a turbo kit.. especialy on a car like a supra, where they dont make any chargers for it. if you cant afford the turbo, i wouldnt mess with trying to put a supercharger that isnt meant for it on, im guessing there is a lot of custom work that would have to be done, and it would probably cost the same as a turbo kit. maybe more... Just my two cents.. im no expert.. but i know enough to pass on that bit of info

·
Registered
898 Posts
Craig King said:
Dude, all of those 6 cyclinder applications that TRD lists are V6's.... not inline 6's like the Supra is.

The toyota Supra is an inline six, which has a completely different engine layout then a 3 liter solara, camry, tundra and any other v6 toyota on the market. That supercharger WILL NOT fit on a 2jz-ge motor.
[/QUOTE

the camry is an inline 6, but your statement is still probably true, im almost positive this wont work.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The TRD chargers seem to be designed to mate to the inlet ports/manifold (I'm no mechanic) or there abouts and I can see this as being a problem for fitting to a Supra.

But take a quick look at this second hand Toyota charger.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts/Performance-parts/0001-0877-1360-/auction-6491960.htm

$415 NZ dollars or $252 US Dollars in apparently good condition.

The one in New Zealand (that is probably off a 1600 or 2ltr MR2 or similar, seems to just have two big pipes on the inlet and outlet. It looks as though it would be a relatively simple job for fabricators to plumb this in ?????. Its obviously not designed to bolt into inlet ports/manifold.

I don't really know but I wanted to get an idea of what people thought.

This would probably sound a bit simplistic but I thought you would fabricate a bracket to hold the supercharger, say where the battery is, to allign the pully with the other drive pullys, move the battery to the boot if necessary, mount the super charger, pipe it into the inlet and obtain a drive belt. Hey Presto :)

That dosn't sound too expensive.

Then fit your electronic controls, intercooler and what not.

The guy reckons it will make 8 pounds or more if it has different pullies fitted although I would say its pumping capacity would be insufficient coming from a smaller motor.

I just thought someone may have explored the option ??

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mate, its going to be ALOT less hassle and overall better performance if you turbo it instead...

where abouts in NZ are you? if you're in welly i can perhaps point you in the right direction :p

·
Feck Off My Internets
1,157 Posts
yea.. do what I did.. just purchase a 100 shot.. throws me right up there instantly .. then again NOS still isnt cheap (if you plan to run on the track because they require extra saftey shit).. but still cheaper than a turbo kit by far.. then you can get headers.. intake.. exhaust.. egr removal.. safc2 and you will be pumpin out decent numbers for a N/A :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What on earth is it? I went to the site but couldn't find much info. Looks like a charger. Have you any info ??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts