Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have taken my 89 supra out to the track a few times now and I can only do about 3 or 4 full tilt laps until it starts to get really hot and overheat. I've put a new radiator, electric fans, and a shroud, but that hasn't seemed to help. Anyone got any ideas what the problem may be?

·
Registered
593 Posts
blown head gasket (off the top of my head, its a supra )

are you running the belt driven fan at all or exclusively electric. if electric only, what brand

what were the conditions at the track---temperature

you are either running out of cooling capacity OR have a bhg that is pushing coolant out with super heated combustion gasses

a leak down test ---filling a cyl at tdc with compressed air and measuring/seeing where its leaking -- will help diagnose

so will looking the spark plugs. if one or two cylinders are super clean and the rest are normal...coolant is steaming the plugs from the bad gasket

whats the history of the motor, is this a turbo ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 2 electric fans from eBay that came with the radiator. The track is in Arizona, but it's like 70 during the day right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blown head gasket (off the top of my head, its a supra )

are you running the belt driven fan at all or exclusively electric. if electric only, what brand

what were the conditions at the track---temperature

you are either running out of cooling capacity OR have a bhg that is pushing coolant out with super heated combustion gasses

a leak down test ---filling a cyl at tdc with compressed air and measuring/seeing where its leaking -- will help diagnose

so will looking the spark plugs. if one or two cylinders are super clean and the rest are normal...coolant is steaming the plugs from the bad gasket

whats the history of the motor, is this a turbo ??
What does it take to blow a head gasket anyways?

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's 2 electric fans from eBay that came with the radiator. The track is in Arizona, but it's like 70 during the day right now.
There's your problem. Put your stock clutch fan back on with a good fan shroud and I'd bet your overheating issues go away. A good E Fan setup is going to cost more than your entire radiator/fan combo likely did.

Improper head stud/bolt torque, warped head, too much boost, detonation. etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's your problem. Put your stock clutch fan back on with a good fan shroud and I'd bet your overheating issues go away. A good E Fan setup is going to cost more than your entire radiator/fan combo likely did.

Improper head stud/bolt torque, warped head, too much boost, detonation. etc.

It's a non-turbo with 220k miles in it and we have never taken it apart or anything. I'll see what my dad thinks about putting the stock fan back on, thanks.

·
7M Fanatic
3,063 Posts
Getting them hot.....

Never been apart ?
That means if it hasn't compromised the head gasket, it's on it's way to.
eBay fans & radiators are for shit.
Twin low buck electrics don't put out anywhere near what the belt driven fans do.
A $450 Derale almost does.
And for extreme duty cooling you will need about a 2" to 3" thick radiator.
But before you spend any money, take that damn head off, install a metal head gasket, and torque to 75ft/lbs.
One of the reasons the 7M has a bad rep, is because they were improperly torqued at the factory, and all the service manuals have the wrong torque spec. in them.

Consider yourself very lucking it hasn't started blowing coolant out the tail pipe yet.

·
Registered
593 Posts
man if im pushing 15psi through a felpro + arp stud setup there is no reason a non turbo 7m has to go metal head gasket

with 220 k miles this "drift" car prob will die with the rod knock. let that oil level get a little low, hit a long corner with decent g force and the oil system will starve, loose pressure and take out a bearing in half a second at the 5-6 k rpm im sure your running at to have any sort of power in a 3700lb mk3.

or get it crazy hot and get that oil whipped up and thin enough to cavitate the pump (same effect ). im sure the oil pickup screen is nice and clean ;)

playing with fire OP -- good luck (its fun while it lasts....)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It is 100% the ebay radiator and fans. As said before, OEM clutch fan is the best cooling option available. I would bet an OEM style radiator is better then the ebay radiator, but I would suggest a Koyo over everything (Mishimoto is garbage too).

·
Registered
911 Posts
I run electric fans on my setup, but that's only because I have a PWR rad with a 1jz in a Mk3. Mechanical fan won't fit...

...but that doesn't stop me. A quality electric fan will do fine if it's your only option. Note I said QUALITY and ONLY option there. I run a fan setup from a Ford Contour SVT with a custom trimmed shroud and some nice custom ducting.

That said, drifting a 220k mile Mk3, that's both rad and ballsy haha. Have fun while it lasts. Switch back to the clutch fan for and see if that helps, it doesn't take that long... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts