Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all!

So I just got my '87 7MGTE from my uncle. Literally fixed up the whole car. Swapped belts, hoses, metal head with the ARP screws and a handful of other things. It has a push to start in the coin slot. So as of recent, the car starts but it really depends. In the morning it'll either start really easily or i'll have to wait and try starting again. After getting off work, it usually starts immediately or after a second time, no biggie. My uncle said that the electrical work is sensitive and after giving it a look with my neighbor it seems my ignition wire could be frayed along with a handful of other wires that sit next to my injectors. Last week I went to fill up my tank and my car stalled on my twice shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. I assumed it was because there was no gas in the tank but it happened to me once on the ride home and once more the next day. It seems like something isn't really engaging or there isn't a good spark somewhere but I wanted to know if anyone has had these issues or anything around it? Should I look into getting a new harness or rewire of the car?

DISCLAIMER: This is the first JDM car I've owned. I came from an e92 328i(2011), an e90 328i(2007), an e46 330ci (2006), and a Z4 e85(2003). It'll also be my first time working on a car because my dad didn't want me working on German cars(understandable lol). So please forgive me if my terms and all that aren't the best.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
From a single post (especially with no pictures) it's hard to say if you need a whole new harness. Based on your description of wires being 'frayed' I'd definitely start there. Patch up any frayed wiring and go from there.

Here's a link to the wiring diagram.
MK3 TEWD On-Line

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
look at the CPS and its connector CLOSELY! Those wires there are usually what causes no start if they are shorting out to one another or ground due to the insulation material crumbling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts