Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in buying a supra, I've been reading the boards here for a while. I've got the $ to buy a mk3 supra... but dunno if parents will let me bc of insurance. BTW, im a senior in high school, cant share cars with parents after I leave for college. I'm not too familiar with car insurance at all, how much of an effect does having a turbo have on insurance?

I've always thought of toyota as reliable... but how reliable can a 13 year old car be, I've searched for this stuff before, but can anyone give me a good list of stuff I should replace asap if I do get a mkiii supra. I hear stuff like hoses, head gasket, etc was there a comprehensive list of stuff I should be worried about?

·
I work on cars for free!!
503 Posts
if you need a college car that wont cost you much and you dont know much about cars, get a civic or a camery. Most supras like any other bigger sports car is a bit of a money pit plsu there not that good on gas. As for insurance having a turbo makes a pretty big difference in insurance. At your age it prob wont be that cheap even if you have a clean record. But if you got the time and $$ giver, there great cars just not cheap ...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah i'm 19 and have had my mk3 for 1.5 yrs. now and before that I had a mint mk2 supra and a 92 5.0 GT Stang....Trust me the mk3 is a great fun car, BUT it is extremely expensive in gas (premium only in mine) and the maintenance is huge. I'm now in college and she is stored for the winter! This is a great car to own, but not when in college! Just too expensive too maintain! Trust me I know! Get yourself a celica or something to that extent more reliable, better gas, and better insurance cost.

hope that helps,
joe

G

·
0 Posts
It depends on where you live as well, what the history of the car is etc...
A turbo supra will be less exp than say, an eclispe gsx. Why? Because more guys have wrecked more eclipses.
Also, in most places a Honda civic costs more for insurance than an mk3, simply because they are stolen more often.

Insurance companies base their rates on statistics. Location has a lot to do with it. When I moved from Seattle to Pittsburgh, my insurance was cut in HALF.

Statistic for a young male driver and a turbo car, point to speeding tickets and accidents, so insurance is higher. Best thing to do is check with your insurance company. Most don't mind giving rates on particular cars. State farm is a good company, and they even have a website you can check rates on.

http://www.statefarm.com/quote/arq.htm

W

·
0 Posts
i kinda got out of paying high insurance prices because my car was originally an N/A... then the previous owner did a turbo swap... so my insurance was 100 bucks a month.. im only 18 with 2 burnout tickets, 1 accident and full coverage.. this was through geico... i asked the lady what the same coverage on a turbo car for me would be.. she said probably arround $250 a month.. so yes being a turbo makes a huge difference..

·
Registered
590 Posts
My insurance isnt bad, however I also only carry liability. So a wreck for me means no more Supra. I have been fortunate so far. *Knocks on wood* As for the turbo affecting price, it doesnt, on mine anyways. The targa top is what makes it pricey. Its a high risk factor. When I got insured on my 91T it was actually a bit cheaper than my 88 n/a, because it has an air bag. Go figure.:rolleyes: The only time i could think that this information wouldnt apply is if you have a hardtop. It could just be that my insurance Co. is just wierd. You can call and ask them to check what prices on a specific car would be.

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
if you wanna drive an mk3 through college and want low insurance buy N/A and then if you keep the car go turbo and pay the same insurance:D

G'luck

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Supra Junky 101 said:
if you wanna drive an mk3 through college and want low insurance buy N/A and then if you keep the car go turbo and pay the same insurance:D

G'luck
Word. Particularly if you only carry liability anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts