Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Since the terribly high gas prices dont look to get any better, im lookin at selling my 5mpg chevy truck i use as a daily beater for a car.
My question is, the mark 3 supra is it a good daily beater if bought in good condition? I love the inline six design and how easy they are to work on but Are maint. and Gas milage close to that of a honda?? Its either a honda accord or a MK3 supra NA, which to choose? Id rather have the supra.
Im not just looking at gas milage, im just lookin at the big picture.

Lets hear everyones imput. Thanks :)

-Brian

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh the reason for the NA is because insurance is cheaper and i dont need another supra money pit. ;)

-Brian

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
My buddy had a mk3 supra n/a with 185,000 miles still ran strong as hell. He maintained it well and got the oil changed when he needed it to and all was well. I dunno if everyone's had the same luck as him, but I would love a mk3 n/a beater :)

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
just dont forget to check your oil or you'll make friends with rodknock :hsugh:

-Joe :run:

·
Boostless
686 Posts
I've been driving a well maintained mk3 N/A for the past 4 years and have had no major issues with it. It has been a very dependable car, and I get about 20-21 mpg.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
id say no for a commuter car. The only reason I say this is because of the final gear ratio. Cruising on the highway at 70 mph is about 4000 rpms. You dont use too much gas, but I just wouldnt feel comfortable keeping at those high revvs for so long. Its great for around town, as a dd though.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
the honds will get much better gas mileage than the supra and also, it wont break as much. Be prepared to have AAA on speed dial ;)

But really, its a nice car for an around the town dd but not for long distances and not for gas mileage. Get the honda.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i think ill probly just go with the honda, 1. because the gas milage, 2. because i wouldnt feel right using a supra as a beater, 3. My current supra needs my mod money and i think id want to mod the MK3 if i had it. :D
Thanks guys for the replies.

-Brian

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
hoser813 said:
it wont break as much. Be prepared to have AAA on speed dial ;)

what the hell are you talking about? if the car is WELL mantained, then it is reliable, if it is not, then it wont be reliable... just like ever other car on the planet...

I drove my mk3 for 8 months straight... every day... never had a single matnence issue. only took it off the road to upgrade it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I didnt have great luck with the N/A MKIII. I bought it from a guy who maintained it, kept receipts, etc but it still gave me a lot of problems. In the year and half I owned it I think I fixed more stuff than both my MR2 over 6 years combined. I got rid of it after the BHG at 160K. As for a fun daily I really liked the N/A MR2. It has a Camry motor, is reliable, and gets great gas milage. About the only drawback was the space.

·
non supra owner
1,775 Posts
no.

like what most ppl here have been saying. get a honda.

my teg gets 400 highway miles on a 11-12 gallon tank :bigthumb:

love the honda 5spd's too.

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Yup isnt that what most daily drivers are, Slow Pieces of Crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts