Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding my 7M. It all started with turbo oil seals leaking, and from there to full build

I’m on one of the things that I’m changing is the oil pump considering my stock Pump has close to 120k
Since I can’t find the pump spring kit which includes the secondary internal spring and shim
I’ll be making my own.
One of the other things on the pump that I was wondering is,

if anybody try to extend the oil pick up tube by 1/2”-1” If not. Do you guys think it would be a good idea?

In my head it makes perfect sense. Since everybody know by now the 7M has I huge problem running low on oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would not suggest it if you are moving the screened intake closer to the floor of the pan. You could get it close enough to have the turbulence of drawing in oil affected by the oil pan. I'd rather see you keep a closer eye on your oil level than try something like that.

·
7M Fanatic
3,256 Posts
Since I can’t find the pump spring kit which includes the secondary internal spring and shim
I’ll be making my own.

if anybody try to extend the oil pick up tube by 1/2”-1”
I have 3 of the booster spring & spacer kits left, just no frigging time to list them on chinaBay, or the the desire to deal with those ass holes again, after 15 or so years of doing it.
If you have a spring force gauge to test combined spring pressure at installed height, you most certainly come up with your own.

On all my engines, I always drop the pump pick up tubes to at most, a 1/2" above the bottom of the pan, but no less than 1/4". Actual flow is so little, that turbulence is not an issue, even at my 8500 rpm read line.

·
Registered
1986 MK3 Supra
3 Posts
Rebuilding my 7M. It all started with turbo oil seals leaking, and from there to full build

I’m on one of the things that I’m changing is the oil pump considering my stock Pump has close to 120k
I’ll be making my own.

if anybody try to extend the oil pick up tube by 1/2”-1” If not. Do you guys think it would be a good idea?

In my head it makes perfect sense. Since everybody know by now the 7M has I huge problem running low on oil.

·
Registered
1986 MK3 Supra
3 Posts
LFATV has a great tutorial On Youtube on how to shim the 7mgte oil pump with just a few washers and gain more than 80psi of pressure at idle, it’s something I’ll be doing with my car soon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read lots of comments regarding 5mm spacers on the actual pump but I also saw comments that it would restrict the relief valve from opening all the way to relieve excess pressure.
So my assumption is with the two Springs it would equal the same amount of pressure that one spring with the 5 mm spacer produces.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 3 of the booster spring & spacer kits left, just no frigging time to list them on chinaBay, or the the desire to deal with those ass holes again, after 15 or so years of doing it.
If you have a spring force gauge to test combined spring pressure at installed height, you most certainly come up with your own.

On all my engines, I always drop the pump pick up tubes to at most, a 1/2" above the bottom of the pan, but no less than 1/4". Actual flow is so little, that turbulence is not an issue, even at my 8500 rpm read line.
I‘d be interested In buying one of those kits if you’re willing....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts