Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well ive been with mk3s since 95 when my father first got his. I love the mk3 and also the mk4. Right now going through college i picked up a 95 300zx needless to say i dont like it, so hopefully its getting sold tommarow. My question is with 12k as of now should i go out and build a pretty mean mk3, or should i buy a beater for now and save for when im done with college and buy a mk4 and start for scratch. So what have you guys gone through post if u think it was a good idea or not.

craig

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Depends on how much longer you're going to be in college...and how long you think you can hold off. Also, what the beater would be is a factor :p

·
Tired of being sexy
530 Posts
I have a mkiii and a bus pass for college. No complaints here. Mkiv or zo6 will be purchased after college. Exactly how mean a mkiii would you want? With 12k you could build one and buy a corolla, thats just my opinion because I don't know the specifics of your goals.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
not dissing supras or anything, but Ive always had a love for corvettes. You can get a really nice c4 for 12,000, which is basically the american mkiii. 100 more hp and 500 lbs less than a mkiii and can be modded easily. If your really hell bent on a supra, then save for the right mkiv.

·
Bend Over.
162 Posts
Which do you really want? You can save for what you really want, or spend that money on somethin you will settle for....gotta ask yourself what you want more. Then its simple. Want somethin now? MKIII is for you. Want a MKIV, buy the beater and wait til you have enough money.

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
definitely the mkiv, you will regret it after you are done with college and you think that you could've gotten a nive mkiv but you are stuck with a broken mkiii

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Suprafazz said:
Ohh and Id save for the MKIV, never settle.
how is a mk3 "settling"? its Preference. I was in almost this same situation... i could spend ~ 25k... had to make the choice mk3 or mk4.. chose a 91 1jz mk3... IMHO its a better looking car, and with a 1jz it's a damn capeible performer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ckanderson said:
how is a mk3 "settling"? its Preference. I was in almost this same situation... i could spend ~ 25k... had to make the choice mk3 or mk4.. chose a 91 1jz mk3... IMHO its a better looking car, and with a 1jz it's a damn capeible performer.
Agreed.

If you're just getting the mk3 because you want a supra, then wait for the mk4. If you would pick an mk3 over an mk4 right now (if you had the chance) then get the mk3...

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
HEY MAN....both cars look sexy as hell....i have them both....n im selling the mkiii, which i really hate doing....check the mkiii section for more details...its a mint 89 5spd targa turbo...with no leather n no tems!!!

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Un-mechanical said:
Agreed.

If you're just getting the mk3 because you want a supra, then wait for the mk4. If you would pick an mk3 over an mk4 right now (if you had the chance) then get the mk3...
Good post!

Yea if you want to have a "supra" then buy a N/A mk4......I like the mk3 cause its fast handles good, most people have no idea what it is, and the sunroof open slid back looks so damn hot...

Yes the mk4 is a better car... obviously. 99.9 percent of new car models are better then the ones they replaced... nothing new here guys.

Get which ever car you want you wont be dissapointed either way....unless ya get an N/A :bigthumb:

·
Tired of being sexy
530 Posts
Mkiv better than the mkiii? Welcome to 1993.

But seriously, both gens are completely different monsters. I bought a mkiii because I liked the styling, test drove one and loved it. They are cheap when compared to other newer less powerful cars and I love working on it. It's my hobby. I am in your current situation with work and school, the mkiii could be serviced back to great shape, but I bought it because I wanted to make it fast. So obviously downtime is a factor. I don't see whats wrong with getting a mkiii now and later saving up for a mkiv, makes the most sense to me and either way you end up driving a beastly supra. Just stay away from NA's :bigthumb: .

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
Do you need a reliable car for college? If so stay away from the mk3. You plan on modding it, which means down time. It's at least a 13 yr old car, which means downtime. It's a mk3, which means down time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts